Register now to get rid of these ads!

vinyl paint ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rev. munster, Feb 16, 2010.

1. rev. munster

rev. munster
    from houston,tx

i have a back seat in decent condition not thrilled bout the color thinking about the vinyl paint in a rattle can !
    anyone ever use it how does it hold up ? thanx

2. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

It looks ok at first. If you never sit in the seat, it'll look ok for a while. If you sit in it with any regularity, it will look like dookie in short order.

3. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Dupont makes a dye for vinyl. Check with uphostery shop. Used it on a truck dash pad and door panels.

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I've used MarHyde on front seats and they stood up great for the 2 years I had the car. You could'nt tell it was painted and never chipped or rubbed off......

5. Deuces

Deuces
    from Michigan

It's great for model cars also!!! :)

6. Lumpster

Lumpster

Ah , talk about perfect timing! I'm getting ready to dye some seats in my ride. Any GOOD results with the spray can dye?

7. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

My post was in regards to the Duplicolor type spray vinyl paints.

8. Gator

Gator

I think preperation is the key, the vinyl needs to be squeaky clean. A lot of body shops carry SEM vinyl dyes in a various factory colors in spray cans. I've had good luck with it.

9. Abone29

Abone29

Gator is right about the prep.I've had good luck with dye but you can't have any Armor All or any other vinyl preservative on it.

10. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

I used SEM vinyl paints for many years, and never had a problem. Some of the automakers used to sell stuff like arm rests in a neutral color, and we'd use SEM vinyl paints to match the interiors. And you're right about the prep-they had a special cleaner-(I think it was just hydrogen peroxide)- it needs to be SUPER CLEAN, but the stuff worked well! Good luck!

11. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

Poor people be using Shoe Polish!!
    easy touch ups too.

12. Paul B

Paul B

I used both sems and dupilcolor. Both worked good on plastic and door panels. I used Dup on the seats in my pickup and not holding up . I cleaned them really good. I have to touch them up every couple of weeks. probably going get them reupohltered this spring.

13. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I didn't mention door panels before, as the guy asked about seats. But since you brought it up...
    I used Duplicolor on the door panels and arm rests and it held up great. I think it would hold up well on anything that is not constantly used, like seats.

And for the record, in prep for the Duplicolor, I cleaned my seats really well. I still couldn't get the Duplicolor to not start flaking after a month of daily driving.

14. strawberry

strawberry

paint store by the quart !!! no spray can,clean very well and then clean again .it'll stick, the upholstery shops use it,

15. CruZer

CruZer

I did all of my door panels,rumble seat and side panels as well as some rugs with SEM vinyl interior rattle can and it worked great ,looks good and has stayed on just fine for over a year of both hot and cold weather.

16. Master of None

Master of None

+1 for SEM vinyl paint dye. Just make sure you have the area free of the years of silicone based cleaners and waxes. I would also use the SEM adhesion promoter before you paint

17. duke182

duke182

sem has worked for me on several occasions. pricey but worth it imo.

18. Clean is key... I use dish washer detergent like cascade, use a fine/soft scrub brush and scrub like hell. If its had ArmorAll you will probably have to scrub and rince it several times. Once dry lightly clean the surface with lacquer thinner and a clean cloth. Start with a mist coat then a cover coat and maybe one more coat. Try not to get it too thick.

19. I can't remember the brand, but I used some vinyl spray on the seats in a '72 blazer. I bought it at an upholstery fabric store. It looked great and still looked great a couple of years later when I sold it. I do remember wiping the seats down several times with laquer thinner before I sprayed.

20. aldixie

aldixie

I used some years back in a 60 Tbird back in the UK. It looked great and lasted a while. It takes a lot of preperation to get a good finish. I also used an adhesion promoter that turned the surface tacky before applying the paint. Can't remember what the name of the paint was but I bought it from an auto upholstery store. The adhesion promoter was called Vinyl prep.

21. hmuchler

hmuchler

I did a roof with dye. It was very nice. Clean Clean Clean it. I scrubed the whole roof three times. wash rinse repeat. Scrub it with a bristle brush.

22. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I've used it many times and it really works well, even in open cars that get UV exposure.

23. Squablow

Squablow

Just like everyone else has said already, I've used the SEM stuff and it works well if you prep the part very thoroughly. Wash it with dish soap and water, then super rub it down with lacquer thinner and make sure it's 100% clean and fingerprint free. Should hold up well, especially a back seat that doesn't get a ton of use.

24. hmuchler

hmuchler

I am thinking seriously about using color on this t-bucket I would like it to be black. Body is getting painted bright "Hello" yellow and the frame is gloss black. Some things will be painted matte silver.

25. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

I tell 'ya what, I don't remember what brand of vinyl paint that it was, but about 10 years ago I had a BLUE vinyl center console/armrest from my old truck that I really wanted to use in my new Chevy truck. Problem was that the new truck had TAN interior. So I went to Autozone and bought a can of vinyl spray paint, quickly prepped it, shot it and I was amazed at how well that paint held on there! I mean this was an item where you constantly had your arm sliding across and that paint on that armrest NEVER wore off in any spot. I still have it to this day on a garage shelf and it still looks good. Anyway, that confirmed my faith in vinyl spray paints and I wouldn't hesitate to use vinyl dyes again.

26. rev. munster

rev. munster
    from houston,tx

kool beans i was thinking about the vinyl paint in rattle can at autozone or oreillys !
    i have kids so the seat is going to see some beatings !
    thanks for all the feed back

27. flamed34

flamed34

I've used SEM with good results on seats / door panels / plastic panels / etc. I've also used paint supplier mixed in quarts for vinyl roof re-dye with excellent results (preferred). The supplier carried Dupont, but I can't recall if it was a Dupont product. Last time I was in at my PPG supplier, they were custom mixing interior dye, so I know they have the capability.

I've had less favorable results with Duplicolor or Plasticote although they both held for a time.

As many have said, cleanliness is key...scrub, scrub, scrub on anything that has had Armour All or other conditioners used on it.