Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Vinyl dye

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by TikiTyme55, Apr 2, 2020.

1. TikiTyme55

TikiTyme55

The seats in my car are piss yellow and white. I want to freshen up the white and change the yellow. Has anyone had luck with dyes. And what did you use. Thanks

Sent from my SM-A600P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Squablow

Squablow

I've used SEM vinyl colors in spray cans and had great results, although a seat bottom is a pretty tough wear surface, I've mostly used it for door panels and dash pads and shit like that, but it works great, if you get the surfaces really clean first. Also helps to go from a lighter color to a darker color.

3. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I used to spray a lot of vinyl die years ago and it worked really well . But like has already been said you have to clean it really well with appropriate solvents and then clean it again! It always worked best if you were covering the old color with the same color . But it does cover well and is pretty sturdy stuff.

4. Mimilan

Mimilan

Clean everything spotless first [as in compulsive obsessive spotless]

Spray all the vinyl with a liberal coat of M.E.K [Methyl Ethyl Ketone] and allow to soak in.
    do not touch the vinyl at all, it will rub off the cloth backing [it will be SOFT].

Spray the vinyl with vinyl paint. [2 coats 1 hour apart]
    leave for 2-3 days

Vinyl paint also uses M.E.K as a solvent.
    The M.E.K allows the vinyl paint to soak through instead of just coating the top [so the colour doesn't wear off]

Kan Kustom likes this.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

SEM vinyl die would be my first choice, Duplicolor work pretty well also.
    Clean, then more clean!
    KK

6. greybeard360

greybeard360

I have used brake clean to soften the vinyl also.... Even plastic trim. Like said, spray just a mist of it on and do not touch it. Give it several minutes to dry then shoot the dye.

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

When dyeing anything Piss Yellow the trick is to make sure you use fresh piss.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    1927graham likes this.
  8. nobby

nobby

yes, dyeing with urine is something to do with lanolin and uric crystals, Scottish tweed.
    the expression
    "are you taking the piss"?
    would have often be asked of folk, fed up with the ammonia stench waiting for it to be collected.
    unaware it was preferred stale.

fyi though
    Methyl ethyl ketone
    should be banned

what about dylon?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. Mimilan

Mimilan

Why..... Just because it has a strong smell? [that alone gives you plenty of warning]
    M.E.K is safer than paint thinners [which contain methanol]

You just need a spray mask and eye wear [and ventilation]

This was taken off the OSHA website
    MEK.PNG

The main danger is illicit drug manufacturing

Kan Kustom likes this.
  11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

The urine was to "set" the desperately poor would sell their urine in desperate times. Now, "if you didn't have a pot to piss in" in order to transport the urine you were really, really poor!

12. earlymopar

earlymopar

In the mid to late 60's there was a product for coating / coloring vinyl that worked really well called "Marhyde". I'm not sure if it just completely went away as a product or had a name change. I was always amazed at how it went on, how it looked when finished and the durability of it.

- EM

13. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

This thread is a good place to find out what brands have worked best for different users over the years from experience.

14. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

MarHyde is still in business today, providing paint and trim products to the auto body world.

15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I remember Marhyde, excellent product...

16. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree, their products were always good stuff.

17. old.hot.rodder

old.hot.rodder

DSC00642.JPG SEM is what I use

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  18. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    If you like the spray paints, then go ahead and use them. But seating surfaces need flexibility with each person bashing into the seats for a drive somewhere. It is undoubtedly the most used part of any car. Even when you sit inside to clean the interior or windshield. The seats squash. So, spray paints tend to harden to the point that they will flex somewhat, then start cracking at some point down the line.

A local shoe repair place had the best explanation on vinyl and leather seating surfaces. He comes from his history in leather shoe repair and custom building of shoes. Those old guys knew their stuff and now, are history in themselves. The little store closed with the remodeling of the whole shopping center. His point of cracking leather was well taken. The solution was to use something that was going to soak into the leather surfaces. (To some extent, into the vinyl.) his suggestion was to use a bottle of grey leather paint, undiluted.

With a small amount used at first, the paint soaks into the roughed up leather and absorbs into the exposed surface. The color can be diluted to match as close as possible, any color. His grey bottle that I bought did not need any dilution as it covered the slightly worn areas of the corner lip where the “butts” slide over to get comfortable in the seat.

After all of these years and some miles on long distance driving car, the leather seats that were slightly worn, now look like a smooth surface. They are not new, but blended in like a well worn t-shirt. No breaks or cracks in the painted surfaces are evident.

Jnaki
    upload_2020-4-4_4-1-34.png This product was introduced to me by the neighborhood shoe repair expert. Online, it is famous for repairing leather tennies and sneaker surfaces. If your seat area is not extensive, then you might want to try this method, before the spray paint method. I have not tried it on any of my leather tennies surfaces as they get little play these days of So Cal weather. YRMV

From an old post:
    Hello,

I needed to cover a couple of scratches on some grey leather seats. I went to the leather supplies store and then a shoe repair shop. I picked up this bottle of actual, grey leather paint. The paint did not dry hard like most paints. It had some flexibility and covered the scratches as well as can be. The leather store said they would have to sand, buff, re-apply the leather dye, and do a final buff of the leather to make it look like the original. Of course, the leather fix-it charges, were quite high and was not worth the effort. The disassembly, transportation and being without seating for two weeks were just a little too much.

But, if your project is quite extensive, then you might want to consult an upholstery shop for more details.

Jnaki

19. Petejoe

Petejoe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Zoar, Ohio

I’ve tried all the above paints with no luck a few years ago.
    They wear off or become sticky. I’ve even removed it three times trying to get it right.
    Two years ago I reupholstered it.

20. Von Brush

Von Brush
    from Corfu, NY

I have used Color Plus to dye my convertible top. It worked great. The phone number for this product is. (570) 686_ 3158.

Sent from my 9024W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. We got some at the local NCS paint shop, it sprayed it like paint. Worked well on a model A Vinyl top, still there 5 years later.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app