Register now to get rid of these ads!

vinyl/carpet dye for my 63 Chevy II

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63ChevyII, Mar 14, 2008.

1. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

I'm changing the color of my interior from beige/fawn to black.

originally I had planned on buying the following items brand new:
    SUNVISOR - BASKETWEAVE
    FRONT ARM REST PAD
    REAR ARM REST PAD
    FRONT SPLIT BENCH SEAT COVER
    REAR SEAT COVER

Money has gotten really tight with me $1500 more on my paint job than I was expecting. If they were black, I'd just throw all of these things back into my car. They're in OK condition for a daily driver, which is what I use my car for.

So, for now, I am thinking of getting some vinyl dye to dye the above items. Has anyone tried doing this?

I found this online:
    Carpet and Vinyl Dye

It says that it works on "auto seats, carpets and floor mats, dashes and consoles, door and kick panels, and headliners."

I was thinking of possibly un-stitching my seats to separate the fabric and vinyl, but if this stuff would work on both, that'd be awesome. for some reason, I dont think it will be that easy.

any thoughts or suggestions?

2. kustombypook

kustombypook

My brother-in-law does auto interior restorations for a living. That stuff you are looking at is crap. Find a interior restoration company and have it profesionally dyed. It will be much better in the long run.

3. westcoaster

westcoaster
    from SoCal

anyone use the vinyl spray paint, from krylon i think. for a temporary solution of course.

4. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

Look into getting paints from SEM, they are good quality products and yes I have dyed interior parts and it can come out nice if you do it right.

5. gas pumper

gas pumper

Me too, good results folowing the directions. Lasted WAY longer than I thought it would.

Frank

6. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

thanks, I'll give them a try.
    here they are online:
    http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/sem15233.html

7. appliedcolors

appliedcolors
    from US

I agree with you. I am sure by applying these changes, your car will become unique.

8. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

The SEM stuff worked great on the door panels and arm rests, but not great on actual fabric. I ended up buying some seats that were recovered to replace my originals.

There are some pictures of the dyed door panels in this gallery:
    63ChevyII.com

9. CruZer

CruZer

I have used SEM Color Coat flexible paint and I recommend it. I bought it in rattle cans from my local autobody supply house. I did my vinyl door panels,rumble seats and side panels as well as the carpeting on the kick panels and floor of rumble seat area changing the color from navy blue to dark brown.
    It's been on the car for three years and shows no sign of wear or discoloring.

Attached Files: