Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Vintique single wiper motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36couper, Sep 13, 2014.

1. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Gents I'm installing a new single electric wiper motor on my 40 Ford pickup. I have a safety inspection Monday morning. Vintique product
    I did a search but didn't find the answer to my question.
    The instructions say "measure how much shorter you want the shaft". Check, I did that.
    Next cut the inner shaft by the amount you need and cut the outer shaft by the same amount "
    This is where the instructions do not match the illustration they provide. If the inner and outer shafts are the same length where does the wiper mount? It should attach to the inner shaft since it is the one that rotates to move the wiper.
    Has anyone installed one of these? The last thing I want to do is cut the shafts incorrectly and pee away $60
    Thanks

2. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Just installed one of these. You need to measure how much you want to cut off, not how much you need to leave. Inner shaft is longer than threaded outer housing, correct? Cut 1"( for example) off outer shaft and 1" off inner shaft, and inner shaft is still longer than outer housing. You must be very careful cutting the outer housing without damaging the inner shaft. I did it with a whiz wheel.

3. b-bob

b-bob

I only trusted myself to cut it carefully with a hacksaw.

4. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I have repeatedly used the original vacuum wiper motors in all the 40 pickups I build with great success.
    If you don't want that old wiper I'd be happy to "store" it for you! I get Ficken to rebuild them and they've all worked just great. You can dial the speed up or down depending on the amount of rain. Just offering some insight for the next one when you build it.
    Just sayin'
    Al

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.

5. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I cleaned up the vacuum motor and installed it with a correct vacuum hose. It was a bitch trying to get the switch mechanism to hook up. I eventually got it connected. I tried it a few times without success. I gave up and bit the bullet for an electric model.
    Jaw22w.......thanks that more or less answers my question. The instructions really suck. The bit of information you provided should be in the instructions. The vintique site was useless..........under construction.

6. take the face plate off and pull the inner shaft out
    then cut the outer then measure the inner and cut it
    it is easy to take apart

7. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Yep just installed in a 57 Chevy (smoothed firewall ). Cut separately.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. 54MEB

54MEB

I did exactly what JandLcars said to do. Works great and you don't have to worry about messing up the inner shaft.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Thanks for the advice gentlemen.
    I finally got the wiper installed and working.......sort of
    The wiper is so big I could barely fit in under the dash. It's touching the back of the gauge panel.
    What that causes is the angle where the wiper coming out of the cowl is almost straight up.
    Looks like crap but I hope it's enough to pass the safety check.
    I will then go after it with a new strategy (tbd) if it passes. At least I will have all winter to work on it in a heated garage

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Another alternative for consideration is XJ6 Jaguar cowl mounted wipers. It is cable driven and motor can be mounted remotely to one side. The wiper stands can be moved around to suit your openings and still provide adequate sweep of the glass plus they are 2 speed.

11. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

LOL, yeah that would have been easier.