Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Wrecks-Before and After

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by justpassinthru, May 26, 2013.

1. Like Tinbender I was bouncing back and forth between insurance companies and body shops for over 30 years. Unlike Tinbender, I didn't do repairs, just estimating. But how times (and the collision repair industry) have changed since then. Craftsmen? Few and far between. Parts changers? A dime a dozen.
    Oh yeah, back in 1959 I was a painters helper at a dealership bodyshop in Southern California. I remember the guys doing lead repairs and straightening just about everything. If it was sheetmetal, it had to be completely wasted to be replaced.

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

There's a Steve Nydam in Steger, Il (South Suburb of Chicago), that I think might be related to the Nydam's body shop in Chicago. Steve owns a body shop there. Maybe Bill will chime in and let us know. Stu

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  3. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

Stu, Steve Nydam is my cousin. He worked with my Dad and uncle in the Nydam Bros. bodyshop before going out on his own. He now runs Nydam Autobody in Steger Il.
    Bill

4. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Gotcha. Thanks. Stu ^^^^^^^

5. spankster

spankster

WOW !, Neat lil tow trucks. What type booms were used ? Were they shop built also?

6. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

The booms were shop built from heavy wall pipe
    Bill

7. 7314haywood

7314haywood
    from phoenix

Next year is my class reunion. Ill stop in Steves shop as I always stop at Elmer and Sons in Steger

8. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

Not hard to see why he was in business 60 years !!

9. Great thread. I ran into Bill (justpassinthru) over the weekend at a local cruise night in his 71 El Camino. His El Camino looked great, even if you don't cut it any slack for being painted 38 years ago (acrylic lacquer, no clear) by some long haired kid that worked for his Dad. He told me of the old pictures he posted and couldn't wait to see them. You see, I spent 20 years working for his dad Moe and his uncle Bob. What a great opportunity to learn a trade from those two guys. Seeing those old pictures from the shops scrapbook helps me to understand why I want to fix everything instead of replacing it. By the way, I wear my hair a little shorter now.