Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical VINTAGE WIRE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flathead 37, Jan 19, 2015.

1. flathead 37

flathead 37

I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on period correct looking wiring. I love the look of cloth covered wire. it just looks so right with an old car, and I cant stand seeing a bunch of bright red and yellow crimp connectors all over a nice looking 30s car. I see that bob drake sells cloth covered wire by the foot. not too expensive either. any input?

2. cretin

cretin

I think it looks great. If it's what you like, go ahead and do it. restorationstuff.com has wire and connecters and stuff too.

Anyone know a good source for shielded cloth covered spark plug wire?

3. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

Flathead,The best deal I've found for cloth-covered wire is: https://www.tubesandmore.com/ Antique Electronic Supply in Tempe,AZ. It's modern wire with a cloth covering. Available in many colors and gauge sizes,it runs about 5 bucks for a 50' spool.

4. flathead 37

flathead 37

wow, that's a great site! thanks for the help. Im gonna definitely go through there

5. oldolds

oldolds

Here you go. Rhode Island Wiring
    http://www.riwire.com/
    The are the source for much of the original wire harness industry. Mostly American made.

6. On anything that the wiring shows I solder all my connections and then use shrink tubing or electrical tape.

I like the look of cloth covered wires and there are companies that actually make cloth covers for wire harnesses of you look for them as well as cloth covered wire. believe it or not some high tech companies use cloth covered wire it is making a comeback.

7. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Some options for more modern wire with an old style look. Instead of the plastic insulated crimped connetors use either the forked or ringed crimp style connetors without the plastic and instead of crimping the connetors just solder the wire in the connetors. Then take the finished looms as well as the single wires as they come out of the looms and wrap them with either friction tape or there is a cool old style cloth wire wrap avalible.
    This gives the old style look with modern insulated wires. This is what I will be putting in my 46 coupe in a couple of weeks.

Jimmie.