Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage wheels and safety??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hightone111, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Hightone111

Hightone111

We've all heard the rules about running old wheels on race cars and probably all have seen some scary lookin' setups. But I have never actually seen a wheel come apart or heard any horror storys of the like.

I have a set of pitted Halibrand mags I want to run on the car when I get it goin. I intend to drive the hell out of it. Any opinions that are worth a s*it???

2. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Have them dye checked for cracks...After that they might be ok for street and drag racing but I definetly would not recommend using them for circle racing even if they passed tech.

3. Hightone111

Hightone111

Same process as checking engine parts for damage? It would definately only be street/strip

4. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

How badly pitted?

They can become very porus and weak. I owned a pair of magnesium American 5 spokes that were so pitted and porus, I punctured a hole in the spoke with my finger. No joke.

5. Hightone111

Hightone111

Visually, one of them looks pretty bad, I doubt I could poke a hole in it though, but wouldn't hurt to try. I'll probably take em to the machine shop for inspection