Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage wheel/tire gurus, i need your help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by GreenGrenade, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Hey guys. Ive been slowly picking up parts and pieces for my 31 coupe that ill be putting together next year. I found a set of 15x8 (possibly8.5) magnesium american racing 5 spokes and there wrapped in kelly springfield slicks. Heres a few pics

IMG_1217.JPG
    IMG_1216.JPG
    IMG_1215.JPG

Guy says the tires were never run. Im gonna be running piecrust slicks anyway. I have a couple questions......

Ive never heard of kelly springfield making slicks and only found one picture on the internet of a set. Are these rare? Or are they just obsolete and not worth squat?

The wheels, the only thing i dont like is there drilled for screws. Not too big of a deal i guess. Also ive heard that the flat faced lip without the bead where the tire meets the rim is pre '63 ish ? Any truth to that? It looks as if the one wheel was polished at one point. I was planning to have the rims shot peened ala shakey puddins tech article to give them a fresh consistent finish.

The guys asking $1500 for wheels and tires, hes about an hour from me. My main concern is if the slicks are worth anything. $1500 for just the wheels isnt too bad but americans pop up more frequently than halibrands and seem to be more reasonably priced. Whats your guys thoughts ? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks - Shane

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  2. Those tires are at least 40 years old, and won't be safe for road use. For a show/trailer queen they may have some value to the right guy. Be worth a bit more if they were a more popular brand like M&H, Bruce, or Casler.

3. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Yea i wasnt planning on running them, just curious if they have any value to a guy wanting some old period correct tires

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

If I were coughing that much up for mags, I wound not purchase them unless you see the beads. Magnesium corrosion from moister trapped in and round the tube could be bad. Have him break them down, the tires might be moved on to someone else for display anyway and you can see what your buying. I think the tires would make very nice museum pieces for a slingshot dragster or super stock. If the wheels are in good shape on the beads, cleaned up they are very close to the asking price in value. Good luck.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Agreed deuce, he just sent me the pictures last night. Im planning on asking him about removing the tires today.

Any issues from the screw holes ? I read from one guy on here that said it can be prone to cracking around the holes ?

6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Usually you can drill a hole at the end of a crack in metal or fiberglass to stop the crack. I don't see how a crack would get started on a radius unless there was sheer force applied to it. They can be welded shut with the right rod, and it takes the "right" person.

7. upspirate

upspirate

Can you weld magnesium? ( if they are true magnesium wheels)

8. upspirate

upspirate

Put screws in them.....that was traditional!!;)

9. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I can tig but im not on the level of welding magnesium. I could always find someone to do it. As long as theres no issues with the holes being there ill leave it for now. Does anyone know who might be interested in buying the slicks ?

10. squirrel

squirrel

I sold a pair of old Firestone slicks on ebay a few years ago. Didn't get a whole lot for them, but it was worth my trouble to sell and ship them, so they could end up on a display car that needed them. I have no idea what the value of these slicks would be...but I do know a way to find out, and that is to put them up for sale where lots of folks can see them.

Then again, if you are going to be able to get the current owner to take the tires off, you might be able to buy just the wheels. Or maybe not.

11. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I would also be afraid of the steel shot as a media. Might leave traces of metal on the surface which might accelerate corrosion. Walnut shells?

Sent from my SM-G900P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I think he used an etching mag cleaner of some sort to clean the wheel after the shot peening process and then coated the entire wheel very well with gibbs. I assume the etching cleaner got rid of any possible metal traces on the surface ? The cleaner and gibbs also gave the wheels a very nice dark finish

13. alchemy

alchemy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd also be wary of steel shot into the magnesium. I wouldn't do it to any of my magnesium wheels.

14. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Welding mag is basicly like welding aluminum, just a little muddy, Its not going catch fire and burn the shop down for how small of a spot the repair is. The material must be as pure as can be and without corrorsion or you will be fighting it. There is no way of getting a perfect finish after it is welded, there will always be a dis-coloration where it has been welded due to density differences. Hard part of the job is finding "fresh" mag welding rod. Old mag wheels are cool, but I would not run across the parking lot at a show to look at a car because of real mag wheels

15. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

So whats a different way to clean up mags ? Guys are 50/50 on shot peening from the research ive done. Some are all for it, others hate it. Also read you can acid wash to eliminate any contaminates from the peening

Dreracecar im not confident enough with a tig to jump on magnesium yet. With some more time under my belt ill probably give it a go at some point. Im not getting mags to get peoples attention or looks at a show. A 30/31 Coupe is a dream build for me and ive been collecting alot of parts to build it how i really want

16. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I ran Mag wheels polished rim , gray centers for years . If a dog pissed five blocks away the wheels went green ! They look Tits , but I often questioned the safety . Mine are gone , maybe a bad move . I paid , 150 for 2 15x4 5x5.5 bolt , and 200 for 2 15x8 5 x5.5 bolt . That should tell you how long ago that was . Only issue is early wheels have mostly all reversed off set and fenders covering them are almost never without a narrowed rear . But for the cool factor nothing tops the list . If it were me , I'd JB weld the screw holes and finish that , the size of the hole doesn't warrant welding issues for me . Welding can create a junk wheel from what you have now

17. chevy57dude

chevy57dude

Diggin' the wheels! Price is top dollar IMO. I'd offer 1000 - 1200 minus the petrified slicks you don't need. X2 on the bead condition, with pie crusts tubes are used. So a little wiggle room there. WD 40 on the spokes and fine Scotchbrite on the rims for mine. Then Mothers' polish and sore arms.

18. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Thanks guys, i ended up passing on the set because the owner didnt want to remove the slicks and i didnt wanna drop the coin without seeing the entire rim

19. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

That's probably a wise move....just wanted to add that since moisture and humidity are main drivers of corrosion in magnesium wheels...If there are inner tubes inside those slicks they can look great on the outside but be very corroded under the tube...