Register now to get rid of these ads!

vintage vespa's, cushmans and other...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boones, Feb 3, 2008.

1. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

What does this thread have to do with traditional hot rods???? Please tell me......

is this the HAMB today or what ???

2. Frank

Frank

WTH made you the self appointed HAMB police? You commented once. If you don't like the thread, why are you still coming back to it? There are several thousand other threads you can look at.

3. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

they are traditional scooters. No one ever said a hotrod was a car........... it can be a boat, plane or bike..........

4. First off, if the frames serial number starts with SX200 or TV175 or 200 then that frame is worth quite of bit of money and would be a complete shame to cut up. What is the owner trying to do exactly? These frames aren't the strongest. When extended you will find that the bend from the leg shield area to the engine mount will be holding almost all of the weight on the bike thus giving the possibility of stressing the frame to crack. Not to mention if the rear wheel isn't under the 3rd person then this bike will be doing wheelies when taking off. Im interested to see how it comes out though.

Here is a picture of an LD with after market child seat!!
    [​IMG]

5. rodncustom

rodncustom

6. 1955 Vespa Fender Light

7. Thanks!
    I did not know for sure what it was for but thought it was Vespa, put it on flebay last summer and got 5skins for it. don't know if that is good or bad but I got it for free.

8. racer5c

racer5c

Maybe you should ask the same thing on the "new tattoo" thread or any of the other threads that don't have anything to do with traditional HOT RODS, not 64 Caddys HOT RODS, most of us like working on things to make them faster, most of us are hot rodders, Hell I had a pogo stick with an engine in it when I was a kid and I worked on it, the nitro was to much for it though. so ya see most of us into other things like Vespas HOT ROD the F*ck outta them, one of mine has a stroker crank, big bore cylinder, etc etc. and it's a blast to ride, but I am sure it wouldn't meet your "coolness" factor but ya know what maybe when I was 12 I woulda cared if you thought it was cool, now I don't really care what anyone thinks. I'm guessing you would like my model a roadster, my 27 roadster, my 49 ford, maybe even my harley and triumph, but I don;t care if you don't like any of them. I do, and there are a few hot rodders that also have vespas and wanna talk about em NO BIG DEAL, go look at another thread for all the Cool guys and leave us dorks alone.

9. hershambob

hershambob

loggy dont know who owns the splitty one it was at watford rods show last year

10. Flop

Flop

the frame was cut when it was brought to us already... i believe it has an sx200 serial number from what i remember. the owner wants the bike to have 3 seats and have the same spacing as a stock scooter. which we would extend the frame around 13 inches .. next we have to make sure the frame is gonna be strong enough for this. we are gonna double sleeve the frame one dom tube on the inside of the frame plug welded and the new piece of dom to match the od of the pipe after that we are gonna run a few pieces of dom from the new tube to the top below the seats.. motor would also move back the 13 inches... hopefullll that makes sense.....

11. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

Here a pic of one I have... My brother bought it for $50.00 I think it is a 59 or 60..

Attached Files:

12. cuomo73

cuomo73

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

scooter.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg Here's my 1959 Vespa VBA i just got done restoring. It's got a 10" wheel conversion with a PK125 fork, P200 EFL motor, disk brakes, frenched gas tank.
    All rusted sheet metal has been cut out and replaced and new floor boards.
    She does about 70 mph at open throttle.

13. 54BOMB

54BOMB

that looks really good, that burnt orange color is great

14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

well i have been given a 1972 aurathetic charger electric motorcycle. was thrown in a dumpster. it's all there except i'm converting over to a golf cart 24 volt controller and a twist throttle. need to get busy on it since gas is so high. would be nice to ride the four miles back and forth to work on it. these things will hit 35 miles an hour and went 50 miles on early 70's era deep cycle batteries. i will take some pics when i can. really neat project. even has all the original trim and chain guard etc on it. they only made a few of these out in california in the 70's

15. Being built by a Dude in france :

it's a 1950s ACMA (french license built Vespa)

the "Hot Rod" emblem and the planned Flat black red rims is a bit lame to me, but the shape is pretty cool

Check out the custom built hub for the Wire wheel !!

[​IMG]

16. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

yea i've seen some older scooters that have had really nice metal work on them,some of the older ones were works of art. most people who like old cars are into old machinery of all kinds. i not only like rods and customs,i also like old aircraft,old bikes, even vintage tractors. we have a huge farm show here and you would not believe the amount of work people put into some of these. not only do they restore them perfectly, a lot of them work for a living too. not many machines from the 30's and 40's can say they still earn their keep.

17. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

Holy fuck.

18. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

Here's my '50 [​IMG]

And my old '61...

[​IMG]

19. Wow I had no idea so many other dudes on here digged Vespas. Man expensive as a bitch though! Wish I could find a raw one thats not goin for as much as those ebay highdollar ones.

20. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

why is someone complaining about a thread on old scooters on here? old machinery is old machinery. most guys who like old cars happen to also like any kind of old machinery. no one is saying anything bad about hot rods, saying something is wrong with this thread is like trashing an old indian because it has 2 wheels instead of four.a lot of these scooters are from the same era as traditional hot rods. even my little electric aurathetic is from 72. try rebulding something with not a single part available for an obscure californian made electric motorcycle they made about 500 of 35 years ago. respect the machinery. it takes a lot of work to keep anything that old running and on the road.

21. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

that kicks ass. that is the true definition of a two wheel hot rod. how fast is that thing anyway? :D oh and heres a link to another site i belong to,with a thread on the aurathetic. the video is not mine,but gives a good idea of what they look like. I think it's going to be a lot of fun to get back on the road. mostly because most people have never seen one before. they are built to be street legal and classified here a a moped. heavy though, took two people to lift it off the trailer. still they are supposed to be pretty quick for something that runs on deep cycle batteries. http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63314

22. 55chieftain

55chieftain

saw this one at a local WWII reenactment- cool looking little bike

[​IMG][/IMG]

23. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

Ive messed with them a little bit. Always been in Lambretta's but had quite a few Vespas.

I got sick and tired of seizing of the stock(ISH) engines and put a RZ350 engine in mine.

[​IMG]

-Jason

24. Mad man! /\
    How fast is that, dare I ask?!

25. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

This says a lot about war toys

Attached Files:

26. Pierre H

Pierre H
    from france

Hello Bluto, I think it's what we call a ACMA TAP in France : paratroops scooter .... they use it at the end of the algerian war.... imagine this drop from a plane and hang on under a few smalls parachutes.....

27. I have had a 1964 Vespa 125cc for 6 years and still regret that i sold it.
    Also owned two P200's both 1980, a 1962 150cc and a 1963 Lambretta TV175.
    All are gone now, but i now have a 3 Zundapp 125cc bikes, that were build from 50 cc mopeds with 125 cc engines.

A nice Vespa from the 50's or 60's will easily cost 3000 euro here in Holland if it's in a nice condition.

28. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

LOOK; I was born in 1946 and a HELL of a lot of us stared on scooters!

And the first hot rod most of us built was a KIT CAR - AMT! lol

Keep this post going - lb+1

29. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

My 57 Cushman is .080 over with a ported block, head milled .050 , Crane regrind cam and a Mikuni carb, does that make it a hot rod ? Im 64 and as a 13 year old I spent many an hour minority nosing the window of the Cushman dealer by the junior high I went to....and now I have one. Id guess you werent even born yet so what do you know about what a hot rod is?

30. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

Here is a couple of pictures of my buddy's 1957 Cushman scooter. Its fully restored and for sale.

Attached Files: