Register now to get rid of these ads!

vintage vespa's, cushmans and other...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boones, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

While in Europe for two weeks I got to thinking it would be cool to get a vespa for my wife as scooters are everywhere.. Since there is a mini-bike post, how bout some slightly larger 2 wheel rides.. I saw a bare metal vespa with whitewalls and red steelies that I can not get out of my head...

Lets see some vintage vespas cushmans, mustangs and what every else is ouot there that falls into a similar catagory

2. BOBBY FORD

BOBBY FORD

I would like to see some mustangs to. Had one when I was a kid. Been years ago. Hope somebody has some pictures of some. Thanks, BOBBY FORD

3. Clark

Clark

Boones...here's mine. Haven't riden it in a couple of years. Might get it out this spring and put tags on it. It's a 57 Triumph Contessa.
    Clark

Attached Files:

4. DKING

DKING
    from LAS VEGAS

Had this one about 15 years ago.paid a guys room rent for it (225bucks).It was fun till a old lady pulled out in front of me.I was going about 50mph.I flew over her car after slaming into the back door.Now i keep to 4 wheels.

Attached Files:

5. Here is my 1965 Lambretta LIS150

it has a 190 kit, 12v electronic ignition, 58mm race crank, big bore exhaust, 17/46 primaries, close ratio gear box, 24mm Mikuni carb, K&N filter.

Does 80mph easily. I only weigh 160lbs though.

Attached Files:

6. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

so what kind of speed can someone expect from a early vespa (assuming they weight 120 or so... will they do 45 to 50 mph... My only fear is we have a huge hill my wife would have to climb every evening coming home from work (she works about 3 or 4 miles from home. a 1/2 mile of it is that steep hill.)

7. Ken,,I wouldn't worry about her getting up and down the hill as much as worrying about some idiot on a cell phone not paying attention. HRP

8. meteor

meteor

Here's mine;

1959 Motovespa (Spanish built Vespa). I finished the restoration about 4 years ago. I also have a 1959 Vespa (project bike) with an 80's 200cc motor and larger 10" wheels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. VespaJay

VespaJay

Boones, there's several different models of Vespas, some are quick and some are slow as dogs. Check out this site to learn about the different models & what speeds they can attain:

http://www.scooterlounge.com/Vespa/Gen/Gen.shtml

I'd avoid any Allstate-branded Vespas, they're the stripped down, small cc models, no front shock (VERY bouncy ride) and underpowered for anything other than neighborhood riding.

For a good first Vespa, I'd recommend:
    - Primavera (also known as "smallframe")
    - P125
    - P200
    - Rally 200
    These scoots have plenty of power, are just fine for everyday riding & keeping up with modern traffic. Parts availability for these models is great, and they're super reliable.

Most important: Don't buy off of ebay. The vintage Vespa market has become flooded with turds built out of bondo & scrap parts dressed up in shiny paint & chrome. Pay special attention to these pages to learn why to avoid certain overseas so-called "restorations":
    http://www.scooterlounge.com/Vespa/Asian/Asian.shtml
    http://scoot.net/faq/Asian_Restorations

Hey Clark - nice Contessa! I have it's little sister, a TWN Tessy.

10. Jerry_Rolls&Pleats

Jerry_Rolls&Pleats
    from Europe

Lovely... I had a 1959 Lambretta and 1956 Vespa when I was a teenager. :)

11. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

here is a little '51 vespa allstate that i rescued from the dead. all apart but complete with title. i'm putting this together for my wife. [​IMG]

12. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

this one came with it, it's a '54 and complete as well.
    [​IMG]

13. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Pan Dragger, You have two very rare & desirable Vespa's there! Hold on to them !

Meteor, Nice job man.

I bought my wife a fully restored 1957 VB1. Its painted 1957 GM Seafoam green.

14. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Boones, this is what the one I have will look like restored. 1955. Anyone need a project?

Attached Files:

15. Fidget

Fidget

Like was previously said, stay away from the old 125cc engines. Theres nothing wrong with them, they're just underpowered. The early Vespa 125's had a piston ported carb, this includes all the early Allstates...if not all the Allstates. The 'P' series is what you'll probably find the most of. I have a 1979 P125X that'll keep up with all the 200cc motors. The P series is what you'll find the most parts, and engine kits for. Lots of hop up parts available for these. All these are twist shifters, the new ones are the only automatics you're gonna find. So if the wife can't use a clutch, don't get her a vintage scooter. The early bikes you had to mix the fuel mixture, pull up to the station ask for 1 gallon exactly, dump in the 2-stroke, cap the tank, shove the bike back n forth to mix in the tank, repeat. The P series has pre-mixers that work with varying efficiency. Cushmans are cool, but you're really limited on parts availability. Hop up a Cushman Eagle with straight pipes, bigger carb, engine kit, and tall side shifter....I guarantee you'll be the only one on the block with one. Lambrettas and Servetas have nicer styling, and as my buddy says "Why own a Vespa when you can push a Lambretta?".

Just like our cars, you gotta carry a tool kit and spare parts with you all the time. Unlike our cars, you can fix almost anything on a Vespa on the side of the road without specialty tools.

Prices will vary due to style and condition, but an early Vespa GS, Cushman Eagle, Triumph, or Lambretta 200 in restored condition can cost $5000.

I still own a 1956 Lambretta 48, 1959 Vespa 150, 1959 Allstate, 1974 Serveta 150 Si Special, 1979 Vespa P125X. Heres a few pics of some of them... http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery.fcgi?p=999&gid=5507793

16. blacufo

blacufo

Attached Files:

17. cabanadan

cabanadan
    from wisconsin

Here is one of my scooters... It is a Harley hummer... I set up for flattracker look.. Engine is out getting reringed...

Attached Files:

18. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I've got a 57 Vespa "Faro Basso"-- Definitely a dog on the power, but it looks cool, and if I want go fast I'll ride my motorcycle...
    Like the T Shirt?

[​IMG]

Here's the wife's Li125 Series III:

[​IMG]

19. irishpol

irishpol
    from Texas

That's mod shit! I'm an old rocker... NUFF SAID!

20. 54BOMB

54BOMB

If I was going to buy and old scooter Id get a Lambretta , little bigger than the vespas and at least in my mind cooler. Have you looked at the Stellas? They look like the the P200's and they are made in india, kinda like the new royal enfields , just an idea. Where I used to live in Denver you saw Stellas all over.

21. hershambob

hershambob

22. hershambob

hershambob

my mate owns this,and 7 others and a fantic chopper,
    [​IMG]

23. BOBBY FORD

BOBBY FORD

Anybody got a mustang!

24. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

That Contessa is really nice.

I don't know much about Vespa's but i have one of the puch made Allstates from 62-65. it's stance is closer to a motor bike with the engine between your feet, but it definitely lacks the power to go highway speeds. steep hills are no problem though.

25. loggy

loggy

Hersham bob,nice scoots there mate........wondered who had the one with the splitty sidecar!!:D

Heres' mine.......lammy Li series 3........i dont care if folks think its' a mod thing n outta place here,i think theyre as much of an icon in their own way as harleys are for example........certainly in the UK anyways,dunno how big the scene is over there?
    [​IMG]

26. Slonaker

Slonaker

I learned to ride on my father's 200cc Vespa 20+ years ago. I still have it, as well as a 50 and a 125 rusting in the yard. I hope to one day put the 200 back together and ride it if it isn't too far gone... :(

Slonaker

27. 81ttopcoupe

81ttopcoupe
    from Cedar Park

Here is my dad and my son with my dads "rat" Cushman. He has so much fun with it like it is he decided not to paint it.

Attached Files:

28. The_Monster

The_Monster

What year/make/model of scooter was Toad riding in AG??

29. The_Monster

The_Monster

Yea, heres mine! haha

[​IMG]

30. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

This picture is from 1969 I had just gotten back from the Army. I bought that '53 F100 (flathead 3 speed) and that Vespa (can't remember what year it was), my wife and I would ride down the freeways in So. Cal. on that thing, it would keep up with traffic with both of us on it.

Attached Files: