Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage Variations

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Jul 31, 2020.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Vintage Variations

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Along similar lines, what if other cars were iconic cars, like if the 32 ford wasn't what it is. What if 50 mercs werent cool and 50 pontiacs were. What made the iconic cars iconic? Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

I always wondered why Fords are hot rods and Chevies are forgotten. It seems to me that the OHV stovebolt 6 must have at least as much HP potential as a flathead, and Chevy's parallel springs must be better than buggy suspension. Obviously I'm wrong about all that, but I don't understand why. MAybe it started with Model Ts and Ford crushed Chevy the way VHS crushed Beta?

4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

@hansboomer In my guess Ford beat chevy by having less wood in the bodies earlier on. I guess not as much of a thing in the early days as now, but I look at a 30s chevy and cringe at all the woodwork in them

5. R&C magazine had an artwork article that asked the same question.

I remember it showed a squarebird mimicking the Hirohata Merc's 2-tone colors & mods.
    There was also a '40 Ford coupe done up like Bob McCoy's flamed '40 Ford sedan.
    Others I don't remember.:confused:

Maybe an early 2000's magazine issue???
    1940 ford 2.jpg

dana barlow, LOU WELLS and chriseakin like this.
  6. bchctybob

bchctybob

Didn’t Pat Ganahl find Lupe’s sedan for one of his Lost Hot Rods books? I think it’s still with the family and has been significantly updated unfortunately.

Just Gary likes this.
  7. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Yes. See my Lost Hot Rods II, pp. 102-104 for some very nice candy red photos. Lupe kept the beautiful car the way it was for decades. Them with his son, updated the driveline, suspension, and interior shortly before I "found" it. Still looked much the same outside (but sat better). Unfortunately the car was up for sale at that point, and I haven't heard what became of it.
    Pat Ganahl

8. Found it.:)
    Apparently the concept pictures inspired someone to make a model:
    squarebird hirohata merc.jpg squarebird hirohata merc 02.jpg square 03.jpg square 04.jpg

jim snow and bchctybob like this.
  9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^^ It`s being built here on the HAMB. The full size version.

Just Gary likes this.
  10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fords I think were hot rods by volume if nothing else. The flathead in the light farm implement foundation gave it an edge, prices too. But back on point, this is a fun thought. We actually got to see "What if Petty went drag racing?" short as it was. It'll take some better graphic artists than I to do concepts but it could be fun. Who wants to do the R&C dream truck as a Ford? Early version please, pre-fins. Moonglow as a Cadillac? Jade Idol as a Chrysler or DeSoto? A Bros Golden Indian as a 60 Merc? Fun, fun, fun. Who's next? What's your idea? Good stuff Joey...;)

11. jim snow

jim snow

X2. Snowman

Just Gary likes this.