Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Vintage track nose found, can anyone ID it??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SinisterSpeed, Oct 29, 2011.

1. SinisterSpeed

SinisterSpeed
    from Reno, NV

Hey guys, well at the CHHR I was cruising through the swap when I ran across a long time collector of great parts/cars, and he had this vintage track nose for sale. After studying it, I couldn't let it pass through my hands, for I could adapt it to my lakes project '33 3-window. At first glance I though it was maybe a Whitey Clayton built nose, but I think he only did aluminum, not steel? As I was looking it over, the nose is steel and completly gas welded. This wasn't some backyard hack job on an ol jalopy, someone really knew what they were doing.
    The top is peaked, the grille insert is completly hand made, and the bottom is notched for a 36-48 spring in front style axle/wishbones. Judging by the looks of it and the blisters on the sides for frame clearence, this was most likely for a car that was channeled with a bellypan. The headlight wiring holes are mounted up higher on the sides too. It has a very old maroon paint job on it, but underneath looks to be black laquer. What is also interesting is that the hood welting tabs on it are exactly the same as the ones on Isky's T. If anyone has any info, pics, or whatever, I'm dying to figure out the story on this thing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Future project, going to build it around this nose

[​IMG]

I found this pic today when I was flipping through one of my old Hop Up mags, VERY close, but slightly different grille opening and a few less vertical grille bars than this one. Possibly the same tin bender did both of these???

[​IMG]

2. aircap

aircap

It's cool, whatever the history.