Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Tool Storage

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Ryan, Feb 5, 2024.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Vintage Tool Storage

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Max Boost

Max Boost

Sharpone likes this.
  3. chiro

chiro

Cool as a cucumber on a block of ice. If only I had the room...
    Andy

Sharpone likes this.
  4. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

Has nobody stepped up to this?
    Crap, I'm way to far away.

Sharpone likes this.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I totally would have, but the day these showed up at Keith's I bought a crap load of old military crates to use for shop infrastructure.
    bins.png

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

the work stations are sweet!
    Those military crates are pretty impressive too.
    I envision a steel rack system for ease of access,
    a clip board hanging with a well organized list cataloging content..

Outback and Sharpone like this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Exactly what I am doing...

I currently use those black bins with the yellow tops from Home Depot. 27 gallon variety... Each project gets a bin for parts taken off, parts to go on, etc... And typically, I have 3 or four projects going at a time and this means I have 5 or 6 of those ugly bins sitting around the shop all nilly willy at all times. I hate the aesthetic of it all.

So the idea is to build a rack with drawer slides that allows easy access to 6 of these bins. The rest will go up in my loft to house dormant projects, spare parts, etc...

I'm weirdly excited about it... And went through total hell to get all of these bins at a decent price. I got 50 to deal with now though!

8. Sharpone

Sharpone

Why not just use the work station as is ,just a simple cleaning , cool stuff.
    Dan

tractorguy likes this.
  9. Back on January 14th (when I first saw these 1945 Kent Moore work stations & service desk on @Keith's rexrods Instagram feed), I started to create a HAMB thread about them (in "The Antiquated" sub-forum) . . . but stopped myself thinkin' @Ryan would certainly use them as fodder for his one of his TJJ Blogs :D

Hope they go to a good home!

Outback, Sharpone and Ryan like this.
  10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Where's the fun in that?

Sharpone likes this.
  11. Sharpone

Sharpone

I know, I know, I could spend a lot of hours revamping them, now if I only could find my benches Those tool stations would look cool with your military storage container’s especially if all the colors matched. Red and blue would be the cat’s meow.
    Dan

12. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Thanks a lot for posting this! (Irritated sound in his voice). Now with my penchant for collecting old automotive machinery, I've got another wish list item to fantasize about. And SWMBO would likely be just a little bit upset if I were to start collecting those kinds of things! And another thing, the daily driver would have to reside in the driveway! In the snow! You guys are such bad influences...

But they are really cool! Thank God I live in the northeast, and it's a little bit too long of a day trip

Sharpone likes this.
  13. Shure workbench out of the local Pontiac dealership when they demoed the old building. Not too difficult a restoration. Most challenging part was removing the accumulated grease and oil before prep and painting. IMG_2870.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
    Rawrench, 40two, VANDENPLAS and 5 others like this.
  14. Uncle Ronn

Uncle Ronn
    from Modesto CA

Google "Service Merchandiser" and prepare for Inspiration/frustration...

40two, VANDENPLAS and Sharpone like this.
  15. As found. What a mess. 52440799_2650092615006685_5859141746084020224_n.jpeg

16. The Magic Ratchet

The Magic Ratchet

autobilly likes this.
  17. A second matching bench, but w/o sliding door fronts. Both benches required multiple holes to be filled in the tops, dents repaired, tops and shelf blasted and powdercoated clear, sides coated black.

IMG_2787.jpeg

18. In the on-deck circle, waiting for restoration:

IMG_2558.jpeg IMG_2557.jpeg

19. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@McPhail tattoos off a restored one now, don’t believe i have any photos of it handy though.

Outback and Ben38 like this.
  21. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

@Ryan Sent you a PM

Never mind.
    Found his Instagram post
    They are Bitchin'

Outback likes this.
  22. Jim Wood

Jim Wood

grew up in dealerships in my early years. Forgot about these benches and Kent-Moore tools were in every dealership tool room. Our transmission man had the complete system in his stall. Brings back good memories of the people as well as the cars of the day.
    Woody

23. Sprout

Sprout

Just tried buying this 3 weeks ago. Guy beat me to it by 45 minutes. He was asking $600 for it

Attached Files:

24. I have been wanting one of these sets for years. So darn cool.

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

One of those went on bring a trailer for 12k... Yikes. It was restored, but still...

26. The old service benches are so cool with the rounded corners and tops just style .

always wanted one restored and in my basement as a bar .

the one thing that always gets me is how small they where when cars needed so much more service back then .

jeeze I have custom made benches in my shop for the techs . 8 benches . 3 feet wide . 10 feet long with a locking cabinet and exposed shelving underneath . Bench vise and grinder on every table . Plus a 3’x4’x6 ‘ cabinet to store supplies and parts for each tech .

anyways , most of the time the bench is full of a tranny getting built or hydraulic cylinders or a steer axle etc .

makes me wonder how they did it in these cute little benches we all seem to love

Tim likes this.
  27. Sprout

Sprout

Guy bought it. Slapped a bad paint job on it. Listed it a couple days later for $4,000. It's still for sale

28. Thanks Ronn, i did. now i need a cold one.

Uncle Ronn likes this.