Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage tin at the salvage yard today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R Frederick, Dec 12, 2011.

1. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Took a week off work before the end of the year, and celibrated my first day by strolling through an older local salvage yard. Figured I'd share some pics. The owner has hoarded several cars that he wouldn't sell parts from, resulting in a lot of cars being totally useless (even for any parts. A lot of these cars are on a creek bank, and end up underwater every few years.:(
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mr.Boo53

Mr.Boo53
    from Phoenix

dis is sad man

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Can't see the passenger side, but that Poncho looks saveable, and is a hardtop to boot. I just love these ones where "the guy is going to get around to them someday" and they end up as dust. :(

Don

4. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Makes me glad I live in Ks. :D Sad for sure. Lippy

6. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

And this little custom beauty. Like most of the others, he won't sell parts off it. He wants too much money for it. The car is mush underneath like many of the other cars from the horrible way they are kept.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. S.F.

S.F.

^^^ Whoa...full daimond tuck n roll, louvered hood, impala wheel, What engine was in it?

8. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

9. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I remember it being a V8, but don't know for sure. He told me a couple years ago, but didn't want to draw too much attention by trying to open the hood today. This car is near the office. I was trying to figure out the rear taillights and trim. The rear bumper is definately custom. I'm counting 20 '54 teeth on the grille.

10. The taillights are early 50's Buick.

11. He won't sell parts but how about the whole car? Lots of nice metal there but to far crom California.........

12. whisky runner

whisky runner

cool old yard...i hate to see so many good old cars go to waste..the guy needs to give it up and do something with them... i have a couple of hundred old cars out back i have been saving from our crusher for years..i am getting too old to restore them any more..so i have been selling a few cars and parts for a few years but that is getting tiresome too.... i think i will have a auction soon and sell everything for anything they will bring over what i can crush them for... what ever dont sell i will go ahead and crush then sell the crusher, loader, trucks and everything i guess...life is getting short so its time for something else

13. Define "too much money" ... I see a lot of good parts there, flooded or not, I guess you just need to want it bad enough to do the work involved.

14. This hurts to see.

15. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

When I can go poke my finger through the mushy body, he wants too much. He honestly has let them go too long improperly.

16. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

that Custom looks pretty salvageable...rust floors or not. Whats he want for that? That one is the most worthy of any of them to be saved.

17. Lild

Lild

It should be legal to beat people who do that

18. Sad the way they are kept. Most likely they will go the same as a local guy's stuff here did. He had over 100 cars better than you pictured but wouldn't sell anything either. In his 80's and going into a nursing home, the family had 2 weeks to dispose of his posessions. They sold what they could by word of mouth and the portable crusher took everything else. You would cry what was scrapped. Looks as this will be a repeat of the same story one day, sooner than later.

19. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Looks like the rust mites are bad in that yard, I've never understood why people will sit there and watch a car rot into the ground rather than sell or fix it. The Chevy coupe was quite a car in the day, very nice mild custom in the 60's.

20. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Sad, yes, but interesting to see.

21. And the ISCA sticker in the window....should be some history on this one!

22. like said, this is sad but nice to see the pics anyway.
    got any more?

23. Squablow

Squablow

Great pics, thanks for sharing, but c'mon, just tell us what he wants for the red coupe. We all want to know.

24. That Pontiac coupe needs to be rescued.;)

The taillights on the custom are 51/52 Buick Special ones.

Hennie