Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. PK

PK
    from Ohio

You can read Amati's bio when he was inducted in the Sprint Car Hall of Fame in 2004 by clicking on www.sprintcarhof.com
    PK

2. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Geeze .. I go out hunting for a few days and you guys go crazy posting again.. We have 4 deer in the freezer and its been fun.. Thats 2 a piece tween my kid and I ...keep up the cool picture posts. Al that bettenhausen pic is sweeet.
    Dave

3. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Man, My old man hated hearing that.

Bad deal. Thanks for the stories and info on "The One Arm Bandit"

JD

4. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Oh ya sorry bout the one armed bandit that sucks ..
    RIP
    Dave

5. butch27

butch27

I saw Gary Fedawa run a race in Michigan with one arm ( we accidently caught his arm restraint under a body panel and closed the Dzus on it) .LOL

6. nexxussian

nexxussian

Dang, I was hoping that was a misprint about Amati.:(

7. cheezburgers

cheezburgers
    from indiana

8. Sometimes I crew for Cagle on his Legends car when he runs here in SC. I talk to him all the time.

I'll ask him if he ran a sprint car like this. Shouldn't be hard for him to remember. He and his wife have incredible memories.

He told me that sprint cars are the most difficult to drive of any type race car he's driven. I'm sure he's talkin' NO WINGS.

To this day, he still runs that Sam Brown(?) belt shown in the picture. Leather with a fur lining. Has a piece of chain on it. It does have a latch link closure.

9. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

Does anyone have any contact information for Ronnie Dunstan?

10. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

now that sucks... having watched this kid drive and kick every ones ass in a winged sprint this saddens me.. especially the alcohol reference.. I am a drinker but time and place needs to be remembered.. My kids have been at the track and spent a few hours talking to Cameron and his family.. I remember him sitting down in front of us at the kalamazoo speedway auto value winged sprints show and i takled to him for a bit and with a smile asked him if he was gonna win the a main! He smiled back and said yes ... He Did..
    I guess all I can say is get well soon..
    Dave

11. RSCA HISTORY

RSCA HISTORY

It was 1959

12. PK

PK
    from Ohio

OK boys, I don't think this has been posted. It's a current listing on ebay... a 1937 midget from California. Lots of documentation and thumbnails. The sale item # is 230308865827... check it out
    PK

Attached Files:

13. Rotta14

Rotta14

Re; Bob Tattersall.

Great little movie of Tattersall in Aust, in 1960, driving the Cascio Offy # 5
    www.historicspeedway.com

14. Go to Wallen's 50's history. Appears results from 6-14-59 fit. Checking starting lineup with picture, all seem to match. There are 3 cars missing in picture. Van Johnson wins & is killed 7-14 @ Grove. J. Larson had fast time. I hope this is correct. I am a newcomer & love this site. P.S. I was at the 1st race @ Wms. Grove.

15. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

happy b-day AL Consoli.....

16. stagernwings

stagernwings
    from tx

Im sure if he ever sat in a sprinter ,he wouldnt say no wings .Thats the words of a modified driver full of envy and a total lack of brass .c

17. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

I can tell you first hand that Will cagle would occaisionally jump in a winged URC sprinter and not only run competitive but win. Definatly one of the best!-Tom Bliss

18. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Welcome! Great Info!

Lynn Paxton showed me a picture of the first race at the Grove.. It was great! There was a BIG steam train parked, that had brought all the people out to the track.. some 30,000 I think! :eek: (Still the biggest crowd to date at the track) I remeber the way all the people were dressed.. Women in big long dark dresses and the men in top hats and suits. Was a long time ago...

I guess what I'm saying is.. Your not a young pup!:D

Thats GOOD! The only way for guys like me to learn anything, is to meet and listen to GUY'S LIKE YOU!!

Thanks for jumping in here.. You Qualified on the Pole for the day for sure with that opening remark!

J Shaw

P.S. Any one have that picture?

19. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

A friend of mine is trying to find info on this car.. This is the only picture he sent me. ANYONE RECOGNIZE IT?

here is the info he sent me:

Quote:[My dad died earlier this year and he left me his sprint; we raced together for the past 7 years and we never learned the history of his car. He purchased it at Hershey in 00 and supposedly was a ride that Pancho Carter had something to do with.
    Supposedly it was originally studebaker powered, but then upgraded to a 1957 347 Pontiac at sometime in the late 50's. I would appreciate any info the thread can pass along.
    Thanks,
    Bob Ryan ]

[​IMG]

It may very well be a car we've discussed. I'm just to covered up right now to check it out. Long hours this month..

Thanks guys!

Joshua Shaw

...AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALCONSOLI!

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Josh, I think it would have been more of Duane Carters era. Now this famous car had a loooong list of owners/drivers including D. Carter who gave it the nickname of "The Pancho Spl." after his son. While the tail is similar to that car and that of the Cheeseman Offy, I believe it is/was in the Indy museum. Bob Pankrantz had a hand in both this and the Cheeseman car and with the tails all being similar it may be a place to start. (?)

Attached Files:

21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

22. racer5c

racer5c

ummm have you ever driven a non wing sprint car?

23. I sense a reinforcement of what Cagle told me ;) .

24. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

I used a Sam Brown belt up until I quit in 2001, it was kind of like a security blanket lol

"Doc" Parsons

25. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

Maybe you can break it down for me. What are you trying to say?:confused:

26. SUPERDUKE

SUPERDUKE

[quote="doc" parsons;2510513]man this sure bring's back a lot of memorys, that 25 up towards the top is gordon wooley, had to follow him around a lot, i still have 2 car's i raced imca with in the early 60's a 270 offy and a merc flathead neither are for sale, they are barn finds now but both are getting ready for a freshen up, will post pictures when done
    "doc" parsons[/quote]
    and harold leep is the other driver in the offy killer!

27. SUPERDUKE

SUPERDUKE

don thomas at el centro ca.

28. SUPERDUKE

SUPERDUKE

dean mast from dover ohio was the driver!

29. SUPERDUKE

SUPERDUKE

thats ted horns old sprint car! His first sprint car ride caddy engine!

30. SUPERDUKE

SUPERDUKE

what? I finnish 2nd leland mcspadden was 3rd! The race went 39 of 40 laps cause abc wide world of sports was going of the air and the wanted to show the winner!