Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Well Duhhhh on my part. Here is the Bob Sweikert photo at Dayton.
    Gene

Attached Files:

2. racer5c

racer5c

that was Davey Stloltz's car, he built EVERYTHING on it he ia a true craftsman

3. elffhell

elffhell

picture
    #1 williams grove pa.
    #2 a j foyt at w/g
    #3 reading fairgrounds
    #4 reading
    #5 reading
    #6 crash at w/g
    all pictures that my uncle took in the early 60s

Attached Files:

4. Those are good shots!

5. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I second that!! Thats a perfect example of what I like about this post. We see pics that have never been Published. There is a ton of them out there.

Thanks!

6. Here is an old one I dug out of my filing cabinet. I think it is Winchester in the mid thirties??? maybe?
    Gene:)

Attached Files:

7. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I think you're right, Gene. Judging from the trees and the raised infield.

8. Buildy

Buildy

elfhell if you have more,I`d love to see them!

Also Gene,buddy! You are posting some great photos!

Tony D.

9. elffhell

elffhell

these pictures are from trenton nj. about 1965 not sure who they all are. pictures where taken by my uncle ,i was at this race he started taking me along when i was 10 years old. hope you guys like these pictures if you know whos driving these cars let me know.

Attached Files:

10. The tall skinny tires on the race cars, the cars in the background and the fins on the race cars are telling me it's more like around 1960. jmo

11. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

My hero, Bill Vandewater, flagging a midget race at the Jeffersonville (IN) Sportsdrome in the early 50s. Has to be 1955 or before, because he's wearing a AAA official's armband...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  12. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

That's BAD!!! I pulled that photo off another site. I'll go through my stuff tomorrow and try to find the original 8x10 and scan it.

13. I keep digging and finding some more. Here is some from Winchester and Greenville and poosibly New Bremen Maybe??? the #2 is Jimmy Bryan. no ID on the other two. Anyone got any ideas.....

Gene

Law of Probability
    The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.:D

Attached Files:

14. Buildy

Buildy

The Photo of Jimmy Bryan looks like a Newspaper wire photo that the paper wrote on to show the part the editor wanted to put in the paper.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Harley, there is a front view of that #15 Deluxe Taxi special in the Jack Fox book The Illustrated History of Sprint Car Racing. Driver was Howdy Wilcox II, his team mate was "Wild Bill" Cummings in another Fronty Ford.

16. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

You guys amaze me with all the info and the pics.. I havent checked in much and every time there is more to see:)... Got home late last night with a nice sized doe. (bow and arrow season here).
    Also .. got a call from Jack Conley the other night. Told him about his pic here on the HAMB.. He was tickled ...
    Dave

17. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I think you're right. The one I posted from Monza came out of a Firestone ad in Life Magazine. I wrote them for originals while I was in the Air Force, and they sent me glass negative. My stuff was pretty grainy back in the 50s.

18. Buildy

Buildy

Yes,the Bryan photo also looks re-touched in the area where the tires are spraying dirt.

Newspapers tried to"jazz up" a lot of the photos back in the day.

I have some board track era stuff where they REALLY laid the pencil to them.

19. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Another photo from Monza. Front to back, Pat O'Connor, Troy Ruttman, Eddie Sachs, and Jimmy Bryan...

[​IMG]

20. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

great picture, even running non-demountables...should be a about a '15 Chevy. looks perfect. Only to be in the picture would have been better.

21. How about this front view? ouch....

Gene

Law of Probability
    The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Attached Files:

22. Here are some different shots of the Don Smith collection we saw today in Terre Haute. I have lots more if you would like to see. Obvisously some of my shots would be the same as was posted here before. I do have a good photo of me and my buddy Roy...:D:D
    Gene

Attached Files:

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

You bet, bring em on.

25. gunk

gunk
    from phoenix

Not sure if this one is in the tread or not but, here is the Alexanders Special at Bonneville this year.

Attached Files:

26. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Gene, I have a copy of that Sports Illustrated with Pat O'Connor's photo on the cover. I should have known there was at least one more. I only knew of mine, one Dick Jordan has at USAC, and one in the possession of Pat's son.

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Attached Files:

28. Ok guys, here are some more. I even included me and my buddy Roy.......who did you think I meant?
    The non race car related stuff was also amazing. Mr Smith is quite the waterfowl hunter and a big supporter of the Dicks Unlimited program. Hope you enjoy,
    Gene

Attached Files:

29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

He who dies with the most................. oh, nevermind, he wins!

Thanks for the pics.

30. Add another one to the list. I also have the two with Jimmy Bryan and Bob Sweikert on the cover.
    Gene