Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. jaracer

jaracer

Here's my favorite driver and car from back in the 60's. It's Jim Moughan and I ended up buying this car from him. He ran it for me for 3 years. Jim 6.jpg

2. jaracer

jaracer

How about Jim Moughan in Hector Honore's Black Duece? He told me that he and Hector butted heads on gear ratios. Jim won a feature in the car with the gear he wanted and quit.
    Jim-BLduece win.jpg

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] DSCF8749.JPG

Here is a left side photo, now we need some history on the car. Sure looks like a nice one. Bob

4. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I would imagine that gear ratio thing was probably some thing like the relationship Dizz Wilson and Johnnie White had over chassis set ups.

wicarnut, tractorguy and loudbang like this.
  5. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

That is IMHO a beautiful racing machine. The attention to detail everywhere down to even the simplicity of the trailer design is evident.

1-SHOT, loudbang and The37Kid like this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

I wonder if that was from upstate New York, and wound up being the car Micky Ferron of Twixberry Ma. restored back in the 1980's?

loudbang likes this.
  7. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Charlie Hoffer was indeed from upstate New York, Albany to be exact. Ran a white #67 Riley Special in the second half of the thirties, mainly for local boys like Jeri May and Fred Carpenter, in AAA Class B events and on a trip with the IMCA tour through Iowa and Minnesota in the summer of 1938. In 1940, Roy Tyler of Hobart/NY is said to have built this car for Hoffer, though it may in fact have been an older, ex-Lee Wallard car. It had a DO Hal engine, and did pretty well for Hoffer and Freddie Carpenter in Eastern AAA competition, he was second behind Johnny Ulesky at Ballston Spa in 1940, and 7th at the big Williams Grove finale behind Duke Nalon, Mark Light, Ted Horn, Buddie Rusch, Ev Saylor and Bill Holland, then sixth at Trenton behind Joie Chitwood, Tony Willman, Light, Hank Rogers and Ulesky, all in the month of September.

After the war, Carpenter was back at the wheel for a CSRA win at Altamont/NY in August of 1946, then a fourth in AAA competition later that same month (behind Horn, Tommy Mattson and Walt Brown). He was also seventh at Flemington/NJ, Rutland/VT and Port Royal/PA (all within the first week of September!), sixth at Reading/PA twice, and 10th in a Langhorne twenty-miler in July. Eddie Gallione won several ESRA-sanctioned races with the car in 1948 (Altamont, Akron/NY, Dover/NJ and at least four at Shangri-La/NY), then Speed McFee won a AAA race at Rochester/NY in September of 1949 (from Ottis Stine and Lucky Lux), before I slowly lose track. Last appearance I have is November 1950 with Earl Horne in a URC event at Delmar/DE.

8. DSC06072.JPG DSC06074.JPG DSC06076.JPG DSC06079.JPG DSC06082.JPG DSC06083.JPG came to live in the UK

1-SHOT, wicarnut, JOHN EVANS and 3 others like this.
  9. noresore

noresore
    from Peoria, AZ

The Racing Associates team was originally formed in 1955 by three men: Indianapolis attorney Arthur B. "Art" Lathrop, Nelson G. Johnson an Indianapolis businessman, and D. Coleman Glover from Moline Illinois.

Speedwrench and loudbang like this.
  10. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

We actually own the Leon DeRock Offy. It has since been moved to the Chapman Auto Racing Museum. In Chapman Ks. It still exists in its original form, and hopefully always will. The Claire Cotter #44 car was sold to a local collector who is into vintage racing. We have another one at Bellville, but will be moving it closer to home soon.

tractorguy and loudbang like this.
  11. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

For those of you on the West Coast : As per a conversation with Jeanne Hunt this afternoon, there will be no "Vermeil Classic" or "World of Outlaws" at Calistoga this year. The County won't allow any spectators in the seats until this COV-19 issue is resolved, so the track is dark until at least 2021.

tractorguy and loudbang like this.
  12. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

Here's a couple of pictures of the DeRock offy. I'll get better pictures next time I get to Chapman. It's safely kept in a museum for right now. Dad did race the car until his Parkinson's took over. I hope to be able to get it out again late this year or early next. Unless we decide to sell it. Sadly we can't keep everything. 20150907_102408.jpeg 20141127_115020.jpeg

13. I haven't posted on this thread in a long time; and I KNOW I've not posted this photo. BE2018 (2).jpg It's of my car at Butttonwillow Raceway in 2018!

loudbang, Dean Lowe and The37Kid like this.
  14. jaracer

jaracer

When Jim drove for me the main thing we adjusted during the night was tires and gear ratio. Jim rarely turned an adjustment bolt at the track. However, he would spend an hour or so getting the chassis adjusted just the way he wanted it in my garage.

loudbang, Speedwrench and Old Dawg like this.
  15. R.C.

R.C.

Needing help with a kurtis dash tag
    (S-322-48) I’m trying to figure out what the “S” stands for, I believe it has something to do with the engine type that was run in the car. PM me with info thanks

loudbang likes this.