Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

"what is a throw away airplane engine?" any one without logbooks LOL

loudbang likes this.
  2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

While not intending to dis the Ranger engine in particular or airplane engines in general I think some target drone engines and the like - maybe even engines for trainers as opposed to front-line weaponry - were probably intended to be short life, easy to manufacture pieces. I see that the Ranger has some desirable attributes that probably place it above that class, not the least of which would be the ability to get 400 HP from a 375 lb powerplant.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  3. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

QUOTE="28dreyer, post: 12300252, member: 47743"]I would call them high tech and light weight. SOHC with roller followers, two valves per cylinder, hemi head, running inverted with a dry sump oil system. Compression was raised by utilizing progressively higher domed pistons. Seven main bearings and a 4 1/8" bore with a 5 1/2 " stroke. Forged crank, chrome moly forged I beam rods, and chrome moly forged cylinder barrels, 375 pounds. Plenty of torque to pull and Offy out of the turns on a heavy track.

Del Fanning at Aurora Speedway in Seattle was running up to 5,000 rpm, claimed over 400 hp for his lay down Ranger. He was beating the Chevy V-8's into the early '60's. I Presume he had pistons with compression above 11:1 running alcohol.

Oddly enough, I just spent the day beginning teardown on a Ranger.

What is a throwaway airplane engine?[/QUOTE]

I was running with the unlimited hydros in the early 60's. Del Fanning had a speed shop and wire wheel service shop, up on auto row in Seattle. Someone talked him into driving an unlimited hydroplane. It was sponsored by a rental company "The Tool Crib". He actually turned some good qualifying times but did not fare well in traffic. That hydro sat on the roof of the old Lake Union Cafe for years until they remolded the place. He was a very gritty character.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

tractorguy and loudbang like this.
  4. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

I don't think Malcolm Brazier ever drove a Stude up Pikes Peak. There must be other racers with the same forename out there...

loudbang likes this.
  5. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Let's not fool ourselves, the Ranger was popular because it was cheap, available, and exactly twice the capacity of a regular Offy! With a good driver, it had a fighting chance to keep up with some of the lesser Offies, i.e. those that were driven by novices or second tier racers, but a Ranger never caused any headaches for a Jimmy Bryan or a Tommy Hinnershitz.

loudbang likes this.
  6. For sure, no one said this car went to to Pikes Peak

loudbang likes this.
  7. Interesting website, Michael.

Have you seen the Cantanaro Spl was a Wayne12Port Six ...DNQ Indy '49 '51 .. it's only about 150km from you

running here at my shop https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...26EA09D59570623C753F26EA09D59570623&FORM=VIRE

loudbang likes this.
  8. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

[/QUOTE] I was running with the unlimited hydros in the early 60's. Del Fanning had a speed shop and wire wheel service shop, up on auto row in Seattle. Someone talked him into driving an unlimited hydroplane. It was sponsored by a rental company "The Tool Crib". He actually turned some good qualifying times but did not fare well in traffic. That hydro sat on the roof of the old Lake Union Cafe for years until they remolded the place. He was a very gritty character. brasscarguy[/QUOTE]

Here is further to the Del Fanning hydroplane connection...

"His Ranger engine wound up in a weird trimaran hydroplane which never ran but is in the Seattle Hydro Museum."

loudbang likes this.
  9. blackout78666

blackout78666
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This post is for the California sprint car guys. I stumbled across a "honey hole"
    Of vintage sprint car parts. Guy is wanting to sell as a lot. Unfortunately for me he does NOT want to mess with packing or shipping the stuff. So seeing as I'm in Texas it looks like I'm out. Bummer. But hopefully one of y'all can get lucky. All I ask is that if you end up with the parts you DONT throw them on eBay. Location is in between Paso Robles and San Jose. Pm for more info. There are some parts in there I could really use. You would not be obligated to sell any of them to me but I sure would appreciate the opportunity. Thanks all

39 Aaron NZ and loudbang like this.
  10. sramoa

sramoa

Dave,

I found an interesting article from Lincoln Journal Star Aug. 29th,1952-Balster tried to qualify but he was slow.He was 54 years old in this time.
    Also Mr. Balster was killed his brother at 1924 then he wass served life sentence,but after 19 years get out and entered defense work as a mechanic.
    I think he was built this Studebaker when he was in jail.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.