Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Nice
    I noticed a couple of different sets of tires pictured. Would you care to share who supplied your tires?

loudbang likes this.
  2. blackout78666

blackout78666
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Frenchtown flyer the tires are NOS.. once i get out to running hard laps ill probably have a new set of shoes at least on the right side... the Knobbys came from a set of wheels I Bought from Frank"One Shot"on the HAMB.. hes been awesome with help and encouragement on this project....

1-SHOT and loudbang like this.
  3. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Very cool to have found NOS. I wonder if you have any recommendations on where to purchase new vintage looking tires when the time comes. Coker or ???

loudbang likes this.
  4. blackout78666

blackout78666
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As far as I know Coker or towel city Are the only folks around.

1-SHOT and loudbang like this.
  5. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

6. Cindy Mora

Cindy Mora

I am Jack Sutton’s granddaughter..his shop in north Hollywood was in the late fifties early sixties . In the forties his was in the British army . I have hundreds of pictures of his work
    I am very proud of my granddad. His was a talented builder!!

7. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

tremendous craftsmanship. Enjoy your passion!

loudbang likes this.
  9. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

How come you replaced the original fold up drivers seat? LOL

Wow what an incredible project, thanks for saving another one. Ya done good.

10. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still doing it in the Race Saver Series IMG_4205.JPG

11. Welcome to the HAMB! Folks here are bonkers for old photos, especially "under construction" shots. Post a few samples here if you can. :cool:

loudbang likes this.
  12. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

13. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I’ve got something in the works I’ve been working on this year. I need to organize the pics but here are a couple teasers.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

San Diego Steel Products tribute car ?

15. Neil that's really coming on......great job.....can't wait to see this car....

loudbang likes this.
  16. @sramoa Thanks for the info on the Balster AAA #560 Champ Car that ran Pikes Peak in 1952

Here's another .. an early INDY Roadster... after the Offy was transferred to a newer chassis, a 1952 Oldsmobile 303 with 3 speed was installed . Stored for many years in Indiana, it was found by a well known Bentley & Delahaye Collector who had a professional no-expense-spared restoration done about 18 years ago.

Last raced in the same white / red scheme shown here, it last 105  ad.jpg wore the number 5 in the Indiana area.

Any past history would be appreciated dave@race-cardrivers.com (256) 507-3328

17. cresentwrench

cresentwrench

Need some help I am trying to make my 70 style super mod a self starter. It has a in & out box

18. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

What kind of power does it have? What size clutch/flywheel? First guess I'd say come thru the bellhousing with a VW or equivalent starter.

19. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Some pictures of your setup would really help. Does it have a flywheel with starter teeth?

20. cresentwrench

cresentwrench

It has no flywheel or clutch. It is direct drive. In & out box to crank

21. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like you have some work to do. I think there is a setup called quartermaster flywheel and starter & clutch you can google but you will have to redu your driveline.here is a picture of one Do you have a in and out box on a slider in the quickchange?ATTACH=full]3923221[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  22. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

THANK YOU JOSH FOR STARTING THIS THREAD!!! I just thought it was about time to say it again!!

23. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Which in & out box do you have?

A CAE catalog I have shows that they made a clutch drive option for the big bell box. It had a 1 3/8 - ten spline input shaft with the pilot for the bushing in the flywheel. No mention made as to which clutch or flywheel to use. The input shaft appears to be some type of Ford piece, probably late flathead era.

If you have a big bell box , you'll notice it has provision for a cross shaft for the throwout bearing and you're on your own to rig up the rest of the linkage.

Hope this helps.

24. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

Crappy pictures, but this would be the simplest method. I see this stuff on E-bay occasionally. I think this uses a standard 10.5" Chevy pressure plate. Depending on the input shaft, both Ford and Chevy discs are available. I think this is what Speedwrench is talking about.

Attached Files:

25. CircleTrack-4

CircleTrack-4

You might give some thought of going with a Bert 2 speed with reverse tranny.

26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

An external starter sounds like the simplest way to go, especially if he wants to go with just an in/out box and no clutch.

27. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

first of all-I hate starters in a restored sprint car,if the car has any historical value restore it as close as possible!NOW heres the easy way if you want a starter but don't need a clutch=make a 1inch spacer between the engine block and the motor plate-last one I made was nothing but a handful of 1 inch tube with flat strap welded between them.another set of 1inch spacers move the front motor plate ahead.most cars have room for the engine being moved an inch without altering stuff[headers,radiator etc]you now have room for an automatic trans flex plate AHEAD of the motor plate.a simple 1 inch[again]spacer between the crankshaft and the crank button and you are all set to stroke your ego and play racer.P.S.for the crank button spacer I've used either an old worn out crank button or the aluminum adapter that allows the steel u-joint to bolt to the crank on newer cars

Speedwrench likes this.
  28. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

OOOPS-a few things I forgot,use an aftermarket starter that doesn't have a pinion support,if you want to use a stock type starter you may have to drill a hole in the motor plate to clear the starter nose.hiding the battery can take some work,but a fake dry sump tank is just about the right size.It,s surprising but most of the time a car with this set up will start in gear an pull away from a standstill

29. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I ran into a bunch of guys from Texas who ran limited class sprinters that had to be self-starting and the set up you describe was pretty much what they used.

It was always a laugh riot watching them start up. They'd stick it gear, hit the starter and the cars would jump and lurch all over the place until the engine caught. Then they would just drive away.