Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Jay, I have a bunch of vintage cars . We take them to meets to play with them and I enjoy doing the metal work. Beeseker got the Gutzweiler car and ran it quite a bit. Jimm Etter aquiered it and sold it to a gent from N.H. after he fixed it like it is Bruce Craig the Photographer ran the history on it and I bought it.
    I intend to restore it to Bob Swikert livery as he was the first owner. I have a fresh 220 waiting to go in it.

2. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Johnny Pawl midget on the way, with the rest of the collection to Tom Malloy's.
    Moving Day
    Fausel Date Ranch, Coachella, CA
    http://s1011.photobucket.com/user/c...usel Farms to Malloy Motorsport?sort=6&page=1
    [​IMG]

3. flat286

flat286
    from Indiana

I'm so glad I ask ..John and my dad where good friend's .I miss the story's now my dad has Alzheimer's. Great stuff
    . And Thanks..p's I have a whole box full of American Boch mags from John .I presume there from offey engines..My dad used to rebuild mags for him.there all 4 cyl.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Don't really know if this Johnny Pawl or not......?

Attached Files:

• pawl.JPG
      pawl.JPG
      File size:
      211.3 KB
      Views:
  5. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

This is actually Sig Haugdahl being interviewed, and since he's mentioning Speed Adams the year must be off, too - I'm guessing it is 1931.

6. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

It is.

7. flat286

flat286
    from Indiana

Yep . That's him .. I would say that looks like Indy..

8. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Thanks!
    Will make corrections.

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Made the show twice with the Sabourin Spl. In 54 with Rodger Ward and 55 with Eddie Russo up.

Attached Files:

10. flat286

flat286
    from Indiana

That's cool a little bit before my time but I know Russo was from Hammond. . Did you ever deal with Belanger..?

11. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

A little winter update on my midget. I never liked the roll bar I built so I built a new one this winter. Bent it the old school way with a torch and sand. It worked great. I added spuds to the frame for some support tubes and made it a little taller so it is above my head. Heading to chrome shop this week.

I also bit the bullet and switched over to methanol. Tired of trying to make gas work, that has been more work than just doing the maintenance with alcohol. I haven't fired it yet but I hope to get it tuned in soon.

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

13. Sprinto7

Sprinto7

Has anyone tried running E85? We converted our turbocharged 4 cylinder to E85 with great results. It was an EFI engine to start with so that might have made it easier.
    I got tired of the varying percent of pump E85 and bought a drum of E98 and mix my own. E100 would have been nice but that must take a special permit. :)
    Del

14. racer chaser

racer chaser
    from indiana

15. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

The two "crew members" on the right in the Rodger Ward photo are Northwest midget drivers Jack Turner and Shorty Templeman. Neither had yet gotten a Championship ride and were working at Indy just to be close to the action and keep their names up front. Maybe it worked as Templeman got his first ride at the end of '54 while Turner got his the next season.

16. Johnny Mc

Johnny Mc

Johnny Pawl built the Parks Offy Jimmy Davies drove at Indy in 1951. He fabricated the car in only a couple of months and I believe was late getting it to the track. He served as crew chief as well. Jimmy qualified in 27th place and immediately worked his way to the front and took the lead at about 75 laps. He led for 25 laps until the rear end gave out. Apparently the gear set was mismatched and the gears failed eventually.
    Johnny was heartbroken as Davies was young and fearless and may have been there at the end as Wallard had late problems. Johnny thought Jimmy was the best and they remained friends throughout Jimmy's life.
    Jimmy was my stepdad and he would let me drive alone in the new 1955 Buick Century he bought after finishing 3rd at Indy in 1955, from Monticello, In to Crown Point to pick up midget parts. Big thrill for a 14 year old kid.
    My dad was Johnny McDowell and I knew Johnny Pawl and his wife Peeble from early childhood. He still remembered me when I would see him at Indy in the 80's. Wonderful man and was huge during the midget racing era of the 40's and 50's.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  17. jimg12

jimg12

Jay, I am from Shelbyville. Did your Dad work on Sprinters in the 40's?

18. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

19. racer5c

racer5c

welcome to the hamb!

20. Jay Burkart

Jay Burkart

JimG, is that Shelbyville Ky or Indiana?

Yes my Dad worked on the Doc Mark Bowles Sprinter back in the late 30's and into the '50s.
    I used to go over with him to their shop which was in the basement of Doc's house over in Price Hill on Glenway Ave, that was the way my Dad was my baby sitter. I grew up getting in the way when he was working on the car, my toys were the tools and machines around the shop.
    I remember him talking about converting the car from a Hispano Souisa aircraft motor over to the Offy they were running into the '50s.
    Now I wish that I had gotten more involved and was around when he was running the #19 Sprinter with Gus.
    I also remember him telling me about Doc and he ran a Champ car at Indy
    back in 1941 driven by Everett Saylor that one year.
    I saw a photo on this board of the Bowles car back in the early pages.
    Jay

21. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

Nice workmanship!

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Attached Files:

23. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

What a coincedence...this IS the car Davies drove and came in 3rd in the 1955 500! Will be at Indy in May for the vintage laps Thursday, Friday and Saturday..Owned and restored by Bill Akin of Hermitage, TN. This car won 1st in class in 2001 and 2010 at Pebble Beach and 1st in class at Amelia Island in 2011! She has many driven laps on her since 2001............Joe

Attached Files:

24. oldracefan

oldracefan
    from ohio

Joshua, New member here, is Mickey Shaw your father? I have photos to post, but have to find out how to do that.

25. ......been a little while since I posted an update on my little sprint car,but it is moving on all be it slowly.I have finally decided on the paint,and although the car is by no means finished,the body can be painted and set aside.I'm working on the fuel system at the moment,and once this is done,its just the electrics.....I'll just keep on chipping away....:)

Attached Files:

hiboyroadsterboy likes this.
  26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Yeowza! Looking very good. Gary

27. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Looking great!!! Keep plugging away!!

29. Neil..I think I will have to stop going to the States,and taking too many vacations.....not coming back till August,so should be able to get a bit more done....

30. ....a few from the Island....

Attached Files: