Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

the reason a sprint or champ car CAN run the radius rods pivoting at a different point than the u-joint is because the torque tube has a slip joint in it.If your car is running an early ford type torque tube WITHOUT a slip joint to allow the length to change,you must either have the radius rods pivot at the same point at the u-joint or attach to the torque tube ala stock ford-hope I havent confused you more

2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Jimmy Caruthers at Indy, looking at a Tucker. Probably August 2, 1974. I found this while looking for info on Eddie Offutt's work with Preston Tucker. I'm not sure if I should have posted this on the Midget thread, but hope it is alright to post it here.

Attached Files:

3. racer5c

racer5c

thanks for posting s55mercury

4. 29 Speedster

29 Speedster
    from Colorado

Oldtom69:

That is clear to me, and was my thought. The race car has a Model A Rear End and Transmission, with a shortened Model A Driveshaft. The Radius Rods & Driveshaft are both rigid and are different lengths and mount solid to the Rear End.

Like some folks, the car is too old and has too much character as it is now to even think about changing it. We do not run the car very hard, so it will stay as it is (it wouldn't be right to change the it was built anyway).

5. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

have to agree with you,I wouldnt change anything unless the breakage get too troublesome-the car looks great the way it is!maybe take the weight off the rear suspension while trailering,that can be as hard on it as racing

6. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

It was a former Lee Elkins car and was restored back to it by Joe Fiore. It is owned by Ray Boissoneau.

7. zombified duck

zombified duck
    from Solano ca

Hi FL68 I have a friend who has a photo album of the car you are talking about it has many photos of it in different build stages and I believe it once belonged to Chuck Godfrey Himself. Contact me if you want his number.

8. racer5c

racer5c

ok everybody, trying to help a friend that needs a copy of an old McHal helmet magazine ad to put in a museum in Hawthorn CA. Where they were made by Hal Minyard and Johnny McMurray surely someone out there has an old magazine ad they can help out by posting it

9. 29 Speedster

29 Speedster
    from Colorado

I don't have an ad, but there is a Beck Motorcycle Accessories Catalog for sale on e-bay that has a McHal Helmet insert that may be what he wants. You can find it by searching for "McHal Helmet". Hope that works.

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

11. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

I bought a helmet like that from Hal Minyard. Denny Z.

12. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

McHal Ad 2006_pd1144759_1.jpg

Here's another version of a McHal ad. And believe it or not McHal actually did a few riot helmets for police departments at one time. Some years back I ran across a copy of a contract between McHal and the NYPD.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  13. racer5c

racer5c

14. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I've located a couple of old sprint cars and have arranged to have them on display at the Detroit Autorama... I would appreciate any input so the details of the era can be displayed and maybe by chance someone might know the history of these cars

The first is a cageless V60

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

The next one seems like an updated version sporting a 215 aluminum block and a full cage...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Don't know anything about them, but they are midgets, not sprint cars.

17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

18. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

That's why I'm posting... I have no clue... is there a better thread to post on or can anyone give an idea of what years these would have ran?

19. Post them on the "Cageless Midget" thread.

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Given the Mich. signage on the Buick car I'm thinking it's probably a old NAMARS (national alliance of midget auto racing) car. Might try googling around and see if you can find some 70s history. Appears the drivers name was Fries (?)

21. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

Hey Roy, check out these new "team" shirts and wall posters I designed for our vintage Indy roadster team....Joe

Attached Files:

22. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

Do you own the cars? If so- ask the people you bought the cars from. They might know.

23. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

I think your in for big trouble using the IMS logo... They are very serious about copyright infringements.

24. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

I thought about that Mac when I designed these and actually checked with some higher ups at IMS and they indicated as long as I wasn't selling them or "vending" them at the Speedway each year....everything should be cool. I have no plans to peddle them or attempt to sell them...they are for our own use...as long as we follow their rules, I think they'll be proud for us to wear them around the country.....Thanks for your concern and I totally agree IMS would not stand for an item to be sold with a knock off of their logo....Thanks and look forward to seeing you in May.. Joe

I really enjoy your two websites and agree that the roadster era at IMS was the BEST years!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  25. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

It is being reported Rolle Beale has passed away.

RIP racer!

26. easter

easter

I remember Rollie Beale coming to Midvale (Ohio) in that black J.R. Gill car and always running up front. He's with old friends again. RIP.

27. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Any of the esteemed historians on this forum know anything about this car???
    A guy bought it at an estate sale.
    It was owned by a guy named Eddie Buckner in Alabama. I see no evidence that it was ever an Indy roadster. Looks like it probably raced IMCA.
    I checked all records from the "Little 500" and found no listing of this car.

Any info appreciated.

mac miller in INDY

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  28. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  29. deuce354

deuce354

I don't know of any history of the car, i was not aware of the sale. But i would have bought this car. It is so cool, & went really reasonably . In fact most of the cars in that sale went for a song. I,m sure you will find out something about it because it is so unique. Good luck

30. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

You might try looking in the area around Oswego, NY. I remember that were some Buckners active in the supers in the 60s, 70s era.