Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. tisch26

tisch26

Yes,Seb is still around.My father Hal Tischendorf drove for Seb driving his no.45 Grant King car in Florida and at Eldora.Seb also had midgets that my father also drove .

2. sprintfreak

sprintfreak

This looks like Robert Smith's fire in 84 I think.

3. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

Rootie, love you're avitar of Sir Sterling getting a kiss on his puddin' pot helmet from the lovely grid girl. Hope the poor guy didn't have a heart attack. ;) What do you do, check out the HAMB "Vintage Trophy Girl Photos" for these things? :)

4. Minny State Fair 1972

Attached Files:

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

This is off the subject a bit, but I have a pair of Halibrands 16x7 I plan to use for the rear of my project. What Halibrand wheel in 15 inch would compliment them for the front? I love this thread, got the idea for using Indy roadster wheels from this thread. The pair I have are bolt on, not six pin. Any advise is welcome.

Attached Files:

6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Really diggin' the style from 1972 :)

7. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

8. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

Holy crap that s me in the center George Toth on let and Bill Watchler on the right aka. cannon ball Watchler. were did you get that photo from ?:eek:

9. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Hey guys;
    For anyone interested, these cars MUST go ASAP.

So.. Have just REDUCED The historic, fully documented flat tail, steel bodied, Granite State sprint by $5K! Might even do a bit better if package deal WITH the Elto outboard midget.
    See all photos and history in the HAMB classifieds or contact me.

10. Seb
    The fellas that were running the race would not let me in so you guys signed me in as one of your crew.
    The dirt image is Owatonna same year.
    Have some color shots that I have to find, thanks for getting me in.

Attached Files:

• 45-5.jpg
      45-5.jpg
      File size:
      307 KB
      Views:
    • 45.jpg
      45.jpg
      File size:
      274.9 KB
      Views:
  11. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

I am trying to help a friend of mine ID a chassis he purchased. Any thought you guys may have to chassis builder, era or drivers information would be greatly appreciated. I will try and update information as I get it from him.

Attached Files:

12. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

Here are a few more, obviously in a crash. We do know that it was run as a super at some point.

Attached Files:

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Poor thing has been used, abused and hack on without much mercy, kinda FUBAR at this point. Have any idea what track/assn. it was last run at?

14. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Got a puzzle here for you guys. This came up in pieces from Phoenix area several years ago. I just picked it up because I am a glutton for punishment and there is a lot more there that my Malloy sprinter when I got it. Story is this. Rick Steward knew of the car and caged it for Chuck McCain who purchased it as a project to run at the '77 Copper Classic. Ironically it finished one spot behind my Malloy Sprint/Modified driven by Tom Naylor. . All 3 fellows mentioned here since passed on. The fellow I purchased it from (a friend of Chucks) said they believed it was a "Watson". After the Copper cup it ran a dirt car. After setting it together it is an 88" wheelbase car with the front and rear axles lined up with the rear watts link and front panhard bar. however the motor plate is about 5" forward for a sprint car. This combined with evidence that the top and bottom frame tubes have been spudded in the area of the radiator makes me wonder if it was a shortened Champ Car chassis. The motor plate is drilled for chevy the side mounts are unusual but are to a chev block drilling. The mount are well made but added later I am sure. plates welded to the lower rail are multi holed and allow the mounts a fore aft movement range of about 4 ". Lastly there is a dash/steering column support stamped 12 401-62. Having trouble with the photos, It's been a while. This will do for now I hope.

15. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

The best we can gather, is that at the end it was a NY super modified.

16. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Will try some photos of the ex Phoenix car again.

Attached Files:

17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Don't know if it's my old eyes, too much caffine or the angle of the shot but it kinda looks wider than a typical 60s-70s sprint/champ car. :confused:

18. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Here we go. This came with 2 other non down tube cars which were 100" chassis. One of which was a low rail Beck. The other is a Stanton or similer. Other than steering boxes and radiators the were basically rollers that had been disassembled and all packed up together. It appears like they added some newer parts when they resurrected this one in '77 fortunately kept original parts from this one. The frame should be back from the blasters today or tomorrow. The Beck came out nice. Hope this one does also. Will post a photo of the Beck in a day or so with some stuff hung on it.

Attached Files:

19. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

The rails are 24" wide. My 1st thought when looking at it was it looks like a "upright roadster frame" The bar tubes look short compared to the width of the chassis. I'll get some measurements when I get the frame back It is stick welded except for the changes which are TIG. Thanks ,Bob

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

After seeing the other pics it does looks more typical. The angle of the first pic just made it look wide, at least to my eye anyway.

21. gninc

gninc

The frame looks very similar to my Ward/Watson sprinter and if it is stick welded, that is how Ron Ward welded his frames. I don't know, what does anyone else think.

22. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

Here's a good interview filmed by Holley TV featuring my traveling buddy Bill Akin...this was filmed at the 2013 Bowling Green Hot Rod Reunion...I took his 1959 Quin Epperly Bowes Seal Fast Special to this event...we fired the car several times during the event and wow, what a crowd pleaser!.... Hope yall enjoy.....Joe

http://holleytv.com/?p=657 (You can full screen it after it comes up for better
    viewing)

Attached Files:

23. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yeah, it does look a lot like a Watson, but of course there were plenty of copies around. It would be interesting to see if that stamped number turns out to be legit.

24. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Got some measurements. Tubing frame 1 3/8. Cage 1/2, T bars 1"x29 F, I"x31R .Frame 23"W at rear axle. 21"W at f axle. Cont. taper F to R. Round bottom. Original upper firewall & dash area took a big hit with the addition of the cage. The forward side diagonal would mirror the angle of the center one prior to the front being shortened. One thing that is on most "Watsons" and missing here are the diagonal support braceing for the front torsion tubes. The brace across the front shock mounts with the gold anodized heim ends in the 77 photo was still with the car .Who would be best to talk to about if that is a chassis number.

25. grumpy racer

grumpy racer
    from Indy

You might try to talk to Bobby Marcum in Tucson he worked with Chuck during this time frame. I hot laped a car of Chucks at PIR around 79 that looked like this car but it was black#69 cause they teased me if I got it upside down the # would not change. Rick built some cars in the 60s for Donny Dean I think they were arc welded I can't recall the name of the shop.

26. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

Here are a couple more photos of the chassis, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

27. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

What, Rootie doesn't have pics and a history of this one yet?

28. racemad55

racemad55

Eddie Bellinger- oswego?

29. guffey

guffey

02 bellenger a.jpg

02 fasteddie.jpg

In the black and white photo you can read "frame by show car engineering"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  30. oldebob

oldebob