Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Guffy, thanks for the updates! Its everyones dream to find an Indy roadster buried in a super modified. I may never find that jewel so it is nice to live vicariously through your build.

2. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

After many years of dreaming and a few years of fabricating and 2 rain dates I finally got to drive my midget at the Hoosier 100! It was such a thrill to be pushed off for the first time. The car started and performed flawless for the 6 laps I got to run on the big 1 mile.

Got to finally meet some people from this board in person, and the MOVRCC were great host and very helpful for a first timer like me.

The trip went without a hitch until I got home and noticed my trailer wheel was sitting at a weird angle. Turns out sometime during the last 45 minutes of my trip home the bearing in the wheel hub let go and the hub was riding directly on the spindle with nothing holding the hub on but the spindle nut which was worn down to about nothing. Axle is junk but at least it got me home! The racing gods were looking after me for sure.

Here are some pics, the second one is from Chad Freeman's cage cam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Well, this is killing me. I've discussed here, several times, my waiting for oldest son to come and pick up the Original Granite State Spl, sprint car, we decided he would get and keep. But now, waiting for several years for him to pick it up, and with the house n contract, he still has no place to put it, or time to come and pick it up. So, reluctantly, I would consider parting with it (or either one of the other sprint or midget)to a good collector home, at this point.
    The car has tons of great history, a full file of old original photos, and letters and correspondence from some of the former drivers who made quite a name for themselves in this car. It even won two Ice racing Championships in 41 & 42.
    Still the Original steel body & most parts, as we got it, intact. and so many interting and unique features and history etc.

Attached Files:

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Ya done good, I don't see any steam/coolant spewing out, so I assume you got your overheating problems figured out.

5. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

It started to creep up to 220 after I pulled of the track and drove start and stop through the parking lot to my trailer, but on the track it seemed to be OK for short runs. Going to switch to Alcohol sometime this summer, already have everything I need for the switch.

6. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The other thing you don't see is a cage.

Not only is this a very attractive looking car. the restoration workmanship is first class.

Nice job Neil

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yeah I suspect the alky might help knock down the temps some. If not, here's a sure cure: :D:D:D

Attached Files:

8. baldtireman

baldtireman

Dave McMillin,of Wampum,Pa. equipped his Super Modified(it was a caged sprinter)#21 the same way in the early 1960's@ Heidelberg..I remember the "in the pis" interview describing it. It sure was FUGLY!!!:eek:

9. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

Running a midget on a mile track is a unique experience!! Good looking machine!

10. BZNEIL...really nice to see the car where she belongs....it looks stunning...well done sir....its a real credit to you...

11. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Had an excellent time Friday night, at the Hoosier Hundred, hanging out with BZNEIL, 28dreyer, racer5c and circletrack40. Great guys with great cars.

mac miller in INDY

12. sprintfreak

sprintfreak

Car looks great Neil. Good seeing you again.

13. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

Hey Guffey,

Quote: still looking for information on Rich Clement's 2 man Indy car hot rod from the 50's in Chicago.

Check your PM's.

14. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

15. easter

easter

Back in the 60's or early 70's they adverstised a Sprint Car race at Trenton. I remember thinking "Nobody could live through that." Steve Krisilof (sp) won the thing. But, A MIDGET ON A MILE? The first time I heard about a midget on a mile I thought there had been a mistake. I can't imagine.

16. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

I recall seeing midgets at Milwaukee in the not too distant past.

17. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

Midgets on the mile at Phoenix during the Copper Classic was the best show of the four class's that ran each year, to bad they quit running it.

Bill

18. guffey

guffey

Thanks BZ I don't want to bore everyone but I figure without this thread I probably wouldn't know what that chassis was yet! It is pretty friendly, it waves at you a little when you walk by it.

19. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

I remember being there, perhaps in 1956 or so, which is sort of the distant past and probably predates what you recall.

Seems to me the midget lap times were very close to the Champ Cars.

Anyone have resources to check that out?

20. TommyA19

TommyA19

Midgets ran on the big circle - Langhorne, too. 100 & 150 mile races. Trenton had 250 & 300 milers for the Midgets. That was prior to it going from a mile to a mile and a half. Midgets ran on the mile and a half Lime Rock Road course, quite a few times. And at the Glen, too. Also, there was a 500 mile Midget race on the Riverside, CA road course, too - back in the day.

21. TommyA19

TommyA19

I have a photo of the start of a 100 mile Midget race at Milwaukee - Ward on pole and the stands were packed.

22. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

1961=
    midget- PJ- 100 lap record 99.9
    Champ Ward 100 lap- 103

23. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

It was within the past 9 years. Midgets were run with the Champ Car race the day before the Indycars. Recall riding the bike up from the Joliet area. Don't remember if the midgets were USAC and could have been NMRA at the time.

24. gearguy

gearguy

Last midget race on the Milwaukee Mile that I saw, probably 2007, was a parade. Big tires made for fast laps but little passing. They run the USAC midgets on the 7/8 mile in Newton Iowa at very high speeds.
    Long races won't happen with the expensive motors in today's midgets. $35,000 each plus a $5000/$10000 rebuild every 10 to 12 races. You can't pay a big enough purse to cover the rebuilds. Not to mention the tire bill. Pavement midgets use up $500 to $1000 of tires in a typical short paved track show. They don't even run trophy dashes anymore because of cost complaints.

25. barstowpo

barstowpo

Midget race at Phoenix was probably the best race I've ever seen. Different leader every lap. Those cars would dart in and out and just stick.

26. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

I realize those 1990s 'times' have come and gone but I agree with your opinion and the entire 3 day Copper World Classic (prior to the sale of the track) including the evening CRA Sprintcar racing at nearby Manzanita made it the best value -for myself and 20-30K fans I have or will ever see.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  27. designs that work

designs that work

The down side of midgets on 1 mile tracks is Kruseman (sp) at Sacramento. Seventeen (17) barrel roles down the front straight.

28. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Yes, just as I remember.

Now, on my soapbox, why run such a race?

Midgets were made to run on small tracks in the '30's. They ran on cinder track and field ovals around football fields, 1/5 mile velodromes, etc.

Later on 1/4 and 1/3 and 3/8 miles purpose built tracks.

Today to me, the paved ORP, the dirt Belleville etc. are too much track.

The shorter the track the better the action, for drivers and spectators.

29. jimg12

jimg12

I agree with 28Dreyer. I drove a midget on a mile[Duquion] in 1966.

30. easter

easter

Thank you for having the courage to say that. The bigger the track, the bigger the car. That's the way it should be in my opinion.