Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. anybody have contact info for McGreevy??? heard he is living in fl.
    mlight9

2. Flubyu

Flubyu

Its been a little while since I talked with Mike last summer some time. I looked for his ph # and cant seem to find it. If you search McGreevy Farms in Florida information you should be able to locate him, he was just getting out of horse boarding last time we talked and seemed to be looking forward to relaxing a little more. If I can locate his # I will PM you.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  3. re post 20258, can someone post some ID or history for these cars???
    mlight9

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Interesting offset drive from 1953.

Attached Files:

5. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Does that front gear case have a quick-change feature? The rear end does not appear to be a quick change.

6. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Looks like a normal transmission to me.

The transfer case could have that provision but it wouldn't be quick.

It could also have a drive shaft going forward but the engine isn't offset.

Is it an early roadster attempt with a centered stand up engine and and just an offset gear box?

C'mon Rootie, let's have the rest of the story.

7. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Here's a 30's car being done with a 28 Model A multi disc clutch, A gear box, and a custom gear change box behind, not quick either. Centered of course.

Attached Files:

8. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Rootie.. That is possibly the JIM ROBBINS Indy car.. If it is, then YES.. You could change the final drive ratio in there. but 28Dreyer is correct, it was not "Quick".

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The car in question, I believe is the Cop-Sil-Loy car driven by Andy Linden in 53 which is listed as a Myron Stevens chassis. Don't know any details of the drive set up just thought it was some neat engineering for 1953. I do suspect the box does have change gears in it, but you're right, they wouldn't be "quick" change :). I suspect the diff is probably a 'one off' kinda deal too. Hali, Winters etc. made diffs like that but only much later on that I know of.

Attached Files:

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The disc's on wires are pretty cool also.

11. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Using the Early '28"A" Multi-Disc clutch wasn't that unusual: without the flywheel the 'inertial-weight' was 'nil',gave you a clutch, & allowed using high/2nd as race/pit gear(or 'long/short' track?), usually using Ford PU(4.10) rear gears in a standard rearend; this combo was in the Frankland 'Staggervalve' as he restored it in the late '70s/early '80s to how it had been campaigned in the day. It did have the clutch/gearbox in an aftermarket casting(s), but the internals were Ford.

12. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Here's the car with Jerry Hoyt who put it on the pole at Indy in 1955.
    (both photos from IMS site)
    [​IMG]

From Michael Ferner's oldracing cars.info
    http://www.oldracingcars.info/marques/indy/stevens/

'In 1952 Myron built two Offy powered Indycars, the Chapman and the Ansted. the Chapman had a slim dirt car like body, it only ran at Indy, finishing in all three attempts but never higher than 8th.
    The Ansted, wider body and distinctive waist line, had a 5 year career, appearing at 5 consecutive Indy 500s and three races on the Milwaukee pavement.'

Chapman Spl 1952
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  13. easter

easter

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Became curious as to what exactly Cop-Sil-Loy was, as I have never heard of it. Probably made of snake oil :D

Attached Files:

15. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

Probably made of snake oil. And yet Rootie there it is, painted on the sides of tree race cars. Cop-Sil-Loy. So here's a question for you. Is it possible that this product was really good, and this was a threat to break manufactures? I know that sounds a bit "conspiracy theory", but it wouldn't be the first time things like that happened. However, your probably right. Snake oil. :rolleyes:

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Anything is possible I guess, but back in the 50s there seemed to be a rife of "miracle" products on the market. From engine overhaul in a can to sparkplugs that added 30 horsepower to mini superchargers etc. etc. that didn't do much but seperate people from their money. I suspect Cop-Sil -Loy probably fell more into in that catagory. JMO.

17. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Ah...so.

Now, something I've wondered for a long time and never found an answer...what products did Ansted Rotary Engineering make?

I've searched the internet and even thought there might be a connection to the Ansted Engine but have found nothing.

I'm imagining rotary compressors or pumps of some sort.

Got info on that Rudy?

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Don't know the significance of the word 'Rotary' but it appears the Ansted family mfg. just about everything over the years.:)

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/c/central/central.htm

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Hopefully, Ansted mfg'd. super heavy duty machine screws also. I can only speak for myself, but I prefer to have my radius rods held on by a fastener that takes something more substaintial than a screw driver to install. :eek::eek:

Attached Files:

20. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

From the mention of 1931 to this last statement...

The Ansted family continued to be involved in the automobile business as late as the mid-1960s. William B. Ansted Jr. the son of Central Manufacturing Co.’s president, campaigned a Kurtis Kraft 500/Offy racecar called the Ansted Rotary Special at the Indianapolis 500 in the late 50s (1955-1963) and early 60s and co-owned A.J. Foyt’s Indy entries in the mid-to-late 60s (1965-1966) with Shirley Murphy.

...there is nothing and the inclusion of the word "rotary" piques my curiosity.

Anybody got an answer?

21. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

I believe Ansted was also involved with Chapman Root and the Sumars as well. Part of the SUMAR name was half of eaches wives name.

22. I hope this isn't o.t. if so, advise.
    found this autograph from a usac race @ reading but have no idea whose
    it is.
    please ID for me. (the "dennis" part is me).
    mlight 9

23. gearguy

gearguy

Just an educated guess on my part based upon the time and location, a "rotary" is an important piece of pipe handling equipment for oil well drilling. Back in the 1950s great fortunes could be made in the oil patch if you had a better "mousetrap." Howard Hughes money came from drill bits IIRC.

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Are you sure you didn't get a doctors perscription mixed up with your other autographs? :D:rolleyes:

25. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

We are in FULL THRASH mode here in Cincinnati.. again.. :D

The 1926 Loco-Mobile MILLER 91 is undergoing final assembly.

Enjoy..

J Shaw

Attached Files:

26. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Jim and I also have been working on the 1926 500 Winning engine at night.. Got it together, put it in the dyno and have been running it, and tuning.

Attached Files:

27. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Why don't you guys quit 'teasing' us & upload some of that Miller "Night Music" for the rest of us to enjoy? & YES, I mean Harry Miller, NOT Glenn!!! ...drtrcrV-8

28. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Excellent

Really appreciate your taking time to share this with us.

29. baldtireman

baldtireman

How about Linda Vaughn,the inimitable Ms. Hurst!:eek::D:p

30. baldtireman

baldtireman

Hey Rootie... I think that script is from Doctor"Linda Vaughn" . She can "examine" me anytime...:eek::D:p