Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Dick L

Dick L

What an amazing site this is.

2. SMITTYtheSMOKER

SMITTYtheSMOKER

Here is the most decorated sprinter in it's day from the Mid-Missouri area. The McCown Bros sprint car dominated central Missouri race tracks (Jeff City, Marshall, California, Sedalia) during the 50's 60's and 70's. Ken Taylor drove this car to win over 60 feature races before he was killed in the car in 1966 at his home track at Marshall, MO. Jimmy Jenkins took over as driver a couple years later and again dominated for another decade. My father's friend drove at these very tracks in the mid 60's and I got to see this car (when Jenkins was driving) many a night. Good to see this racecar has now been fully restored.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  3. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

4. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Is it an optical illusion, or is AJ wearing a Tache... ??? :D

Happy 1000 from me, too! Thanks, Josh, for wasting hours of my life... :rolleyes: ;)

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

A few Joe Pittman/Fike Plumbing items from his estate. If you keep clicking on them they should enlarge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure about the significance of the last sheet. Weren't most or all Agajanian 98 cars Offy powered?

6. Racer12

Racer12

I find it interesting that the build sheet on the engine say they painted the inside of the block. Also that the timing is set at 45*! And how did they set it at 3000 rpm? On a dyno? Also it was 308 ci not 305 which i thought was the rule in those days.

Bob

7. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Thank you, Rootie Kazoootie for the Frenzel pic! I'm looking for all the technical info I can get! ...drtrcrV-8

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

You might want to conact these guys, maybe they can put you in contact and you can get all your questions answered.
    http://coloradovintageovalracers.com/

Attached Files:

9. gearguy

gearguy

Sand cast blocks tend to shed sand particles. In the gearbox world we always paint the inside of castings to seal in the sand. For aluminum castings it is common to "impregnate" the castings with a sealant in a vacuum chamber for the same reason.

10. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

I would have to guess that it's simply a mistake by the engine builder. While Pittman worked for Agajanian and Parnelli he also continued running the sprint car for Harlan Fike until 1964. And since the sheet shows a sprint car engine displacement it's probably for the Fike car. The 308 cubic inches makes perfect sense because USAC allowed a 1% cleanup over the specified 305.1 cubic inches. Whoever filled out the sheet must have just put the wrong car owner down.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  11. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Maybe, but it also says a 1969 350 4 bolt block was used.

12. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Block would be the same bore, just a stronger 4-bolt main, use a 283/302 crank & they're right there! I do wonder about the crank sizes mentioned, as they would be way too large unless they sleeved the block(not likely!!) Could this motor(s?) have been built for non-USAC applications? Builders have 'juggled' bore/stroke for as long as they've built motors, so there's no surprise here.

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

It's not dated so it could be from later on in the 70s for a CRA motor.

Attached Files:

14. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Aggie also ran a Chevy-powered Mongoose #98 for Billy Vukovich on the USAC road courses in 1969, with Pittman as crew chief. That year, stock blocks were allowed 320 CID.

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

That would make sense, what with the Schafer clutch.

16. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Beautiful job deuce 354. Will you tell us whose wheels and tires you are using please?

17. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

It sure does. Other than the smaller than allowed displacement. Pittman must have had his reasons.

BTW, Rootie, when did the Agajanian sprint car in the photo that you posted earlier run in CRA?

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Around the mid 70s I believe, but of course it woudn't of have had a clutch.

19. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

WOW GUYS!!! 1000 pages. Truly remarkable. I new ya'll were getting close, and I wanted to see it happen but my big local indoor show was last week and I was running around crazy putting together a rather large display. (75 Traditional Hot Rods and vintage drag cars, 15 vintage Choppers, and 12 vintage Open wheel cars) The show went great.. Here's a few pictures.

Attached Files:

20. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I realize I havn't posted here much in the last year or so. I've even fell behind on keeping current reading the post. Truth is I got an I-Phone that is so handy to check my E-mails and such from, that I dropped my internet service at home, and rarely get ON an actual computer anymore. That, coupled with an INSANE work load with no end in site has kept me from spending much time on the good ol' HAMB.

But!! I have not lost any interest in vintage sprint cars, or it's ENDLESS history and the quest for more of it. In fact, I have dove deeper and am astonished at the vast amount of information I have learned in such a short time. As many of you know I now work FULL TIME at ZAKIRA'S garage here in Cincinnati restoring and repairing MILLER race cars and components. I am working under some of the greatest "brains" in Miller history and not only working on, but also recreating some of Harry Millers best designs completely from skratch from his original drawing, notes, and wooden pattern. It is truly a DREAM JOB!

Among it all though, I have not lost my love for good ol' DIRT SPRINT CARS!! In fact I recently purchased a very legendary 70's Sprint car a lot of you will remeber. RACER5C spotted it in the for sale adds, and I jumped on it. The more I learned about it, the more excited I got. This ol' car saw some hreat drivers climb in it, and had a long wonderful life.

The FORBERG Spl. Owned By Indy 500 driver Carl Forberg, raced out of Detroit, and driven by a slew of young talent.

Here are original pictures.. Then pics of how I found it.. and finally pictures of it last week when I assembled it with parts from my own collection to make it complete again.

I CAN'T WAIT TO RUN THIS CAR!! :D

Attached Files:

21. deuce354

deuce354

I used Coker Sears Allstate 500x16 front motorcycle tires, rear Sears Allstate 750x16 knobbys. The wheels are 16" 56 Jaguar wheels, used the knock off Jag adaptor bolted to a adaptor modified to fit early Ford pattern, Bought stainless Jag spinners, welded up the Jaguar engraving, & ground & polished the weld. Looked for Daytons & Rudge stuff for years without success. I think they turned out pretty well. Thanks Deek

22. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Test download..

Up untill today I was unable to reach my pictures here at Zakira's from my laptop. I had to use the shop computer, and didn't want to be "playing" on the HAMB during work hours on the shops computer... But today, the Computer tech was here and here figured out how to link my laptop into our HUGE photo archives..

Here is a shot of the LocoMobile MILLER in progress we are currently restoring.

Attached Files:

23. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Sorry, to late, already at 1001. I too have learned a lot, received valuable help with my restoration project, and had hours of enjoyment from this thread. The wealth of knowledge found here is amazing. Thanks to all that make this possible. "Going for 2000 and beyond"

Blacki-Suede

''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it's even tougher if you're stupid.''-- John Wayneffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

24. 4BANGER DIRT RACER

4BANGER DIRT RACER

IMG_2583a.jpg

IMG_2577a.jpg

IMG_2585.jpg Hi guys and gals. Just a few lines from across the pond in London, UK to say what a great site this is and this thread in particular is absolutely fantastic, really inspirational. I don't think you guys realise how lucky you are to have so many amazing vehicles on your doorstep. Although we have a load of vintage european racecars over here, the American contingent is very thin on the ground.
    Anyway I have a few photos of my "project" for you to see. Model "A" chassis, "B" engine with a Yapp Riley two port, Jim Brierley cam and all sorts of engine mods. Yes, most of the parts have been sourced and purchased from the good old US of A, but I have also manufactured and awful lot of stuff including the stainless exhaust, body panels, floorpans and god knows how many brackets.
    It is road registered and sounds like a first world war fighter plane! Just needs numbers and signwriting, proper upholstery and final tweaking
    Anyway, keep up the good work, and keep finding those old racers!!

25. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Great work and great determination Simon!
    Built in a neighbor's yard and under a tent no less.
    Send us some photos when it's lettered up and running with the VSCC.
    And watch the downhill right hander at Oulton.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LATwSlHdiPY&NR=1

fwiw: My friend David Rex from Virginia runs two similar cars with VSCC'A' and I'm hoping to gain access to that club and participate with my 1927 Miller replica, though all their events are on our East Coast (3 thousand miles way).
    Some photos of David's two cars at Limerock VSCCA Meet 2012
    http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af233/carl44s/Kindred Spirits/

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  26. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Great stuff guys. I'm reading to catch up.. I'm way back. :p

Here's a shot of me testing the LocoMobile Miller a couple weeks ago in the mean time.

J Shaw

Attached Files:

27. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Josh,
    Thanks for taking the time to update us on this LJ8 reconstruction.
    Hope you can get it to Milw for the Miller Meet.

Two Qs if you can?
    1. Since both of the LJ8s were basically RD Miller 91 engineered but Durant specified cosmetically different in many ways are you going all out to replicate these unique attributes?
    2. Does the owner have plans for the replaced body work that adorned the car when owned and run by Jiggler Joe Gemsa?
    Carl
    See post 17990
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7615576&highlight=lj8#post7615576

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  28. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Glad to have you back, Josh. And you truly do have a dream job.

29. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Carls- A lot of the small design quirks and detail changes you speek of were a result of Harlan Fengler as well. He's the wanted almost every little aspect of his two Millers different... That is one way we were able to identify the chassis. To answer your questions:

Yes, every detail that was a little different from standard MILLER 91's was found, or duplicated. For example, the steering gear on the Jr.8's was Bronze as opposed to Harry's norm of Aluminum. During the restoration process of this car, and parts hunting the actual Bronze Miller steering gear was discovered. It was purchaced and is in the car.

As for the left over parts from the Gemza Orange Blossom Spl. I'm not sure what will come of them. They are piled on Two huge pallets here and considered "Belongs to owner"... so they are off limits to us. I've dug through them, and there are some really good components in there, but odds are they will go with the car when it leaves here.

-----------------------

To bring you all up to date: The car has been dismantled completely, polishing and plating is sent out, I am painting chassis as we speak, and will be painting body the following week.

The car has to finished by Feb 28th.

(back to those crazy deadlines and insane amounts of work load i mentioned above... Most people don't realize it but I work from 7:30am - midnight every day, weather it's on zakira's stuff, my stuff, or Shaw Hot ROds customers. I never stop. I'm single, have a killer apartment built into my shop and enjoy it emensly)

Speaking of which, I'm not sure I have posted many pics of my new shop..

Here ya go:

Attached Files:

30. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Thanks Josh.
    Keep up the great work!
    Hope to see ya in July.
    Carl