Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

sorry..............................

2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

No problemo, easy enough mistake to make, done it myself.

3. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

I believe this car is in Jim Lattin's collection.

4. cg5

cg5

That is the first car Kenny Weld built after he went to Pa.

Curt Grogan

Attached Files:

5. hopkins1

hopkins1
    from bedford pa

Rootie,I`m more confused than anyone here. I remember Lynn Paxton telling me he saw photos of the Kenny Weld/ Don Rice Ford/ roadster in a storage trailer in N.Y. state. It was still painted as the Rice car. I asked another well known collector about it and he agreed it is in N.Y. I am trying to find the owner but have had no luck. Was there two cars ?

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Boy, ya got me! I'm beginning to think there may have been. The whole Texas/ NW/ NY thing has me flumoxed:confused: I gotta belive Paxton knows what he's talking about as he probably raced aginst it at some point.

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Went back and searched through the old posts. Here's a pic the fellow in the NW posted 4 yrs. ago. It does appear he has/had the Texas car. Kinda makes one wonder what is in the trailer in N.Y.?

Attached Files:

• mr5.jpg
      mr5.jpg
      File size:
      481.6 KB
      Views:
  8. baldtireman

baldtireman

Geee... these guys think differently!!! Even the trailer is weird!!:eek:

9. baldtireman

baldtireman

Powered by a Ford,Here... sponsored by Don Rice Ford,Bedford,Penna...:p

10. racer5c

racer5c

aaaaaaggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!

11. racer5c

racer5c

Thanks Carl, Buildy, and everyone else with the help on the Thacker pictures

12. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

What were they smoking?

13. Surely if Paxton says so, it has to be true. Look at his history.

Kenny Weld was not rich by any means. He had to build his own cars for the longest time. We still have as of yet, been able to confirm without a doubt , that Kenny ever drove the #22 .

"What if", Kenny built one to sell, to pay for his own? Happened all the time back in the day, even today sometimes.

Possibly a turn key car for himself and a kit for a ready buyer?

14. In many ways, the car was ahead of it's time. Still, from what I saw, it had too many irons in the fire to really have itself sorted out.

15. easter

easter

Post #13495 is a pic of Kenny Weld's car in Tampa - 1970 I think. For some reason I can't get the photo to show up anymore. Oh well, I lot of things don't come up anymore.

16. okbob

okbob
    from Hanover pa

Why would Kenny be said to have built or had anything to do with the 22 car? I ran Knoxville in 85 and the darker blue 22 was parked near us in the pits, I believe Tommy Johnson from Texas built it,and more than likely the lighter color blue was an updated version of the same car. Joe Saldana came to Albuquerque Raceway with his offset roadster around 70 and that car had no simalaritys to the 22 except that it was different than the rest.I'm not sure what Kenny was doing at that time but I don't think he had input on that car. (the connection to Saldana was the Mechanical Rabbit) Van May

17. cg5

cg5

Kenny built the white 31 his copy of Greg's Don Brown Rabbit. The car was sold to Bobby Marshall from Texas father. after several years the car was sold to Tommy Johnson who later built the wild looking super designed off a computer. That car IS NOT the roadster Kenny built the car in the Nw is the car the Marshall's bought and sold to Tommy Johnson.

Curt Grogan

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Given the news of today, this old race car stuff (and much else) seems pretty trivial. But, for me anyway, it can be kind of a "happy place" (so to speak) to go to. So I looked around to see if I could find anymore on the original 3 MRs. Using 'Old Bills' post of years ago I came across this. So far this is about the only info I've found but Harold Reynolds was a long time, well known racer in the N. Ind/Mich. area. He also was good friends with Marv Carmen and had/has a son that raced late models in that area. Given that, I gotta wonder if those from around there have any recollection of the wreck and/or what might have become of the car.

Attached Files:

• mr7.JPG
      mr7.JPG
      File size:
      42 KB
      Views:
  19. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

21. ..Rootie....could not agree with you more.....this works as a refuge for me.....

22. Untrue as it is, there are many people who beleive one of the Weld cars became the wild and crazy looking #22.

We're looking to kill that myth and watch this entire story become less painful to dig into over and over again.

Once a year, this subject pops up, yet Tommy Johnson never seems to.

23. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Way off topic but a little fun for the Holidays.

Recognize the driver?

[​IMG]

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

• McQ.jpg
      McQ.jpg
      File size:
      76.5 KB
      Views:
  25. Just got this from someone who would know about the Kenny Weld roadster--

It is NOT, I repeat 'NOT' a Don Brown Mechanical Rabbitt, IT IS a copy, and raced by Kenny himself at the Grove with a Ford.

It IS however the very car seen here as a #22 as driven by Tommy Johnson. The car ended up in Michigan after being bought out of Texas.

The radical winged , later model sprinter sits in Smiley Sittons shop last I hear of.

2 different cars, not 1, not 3.

This is not an intention to attack Paxton in anyway, or anyone else for that matter. We're just trying to get all this straight.

Pics may be available someday to help further unravel this issue.

26. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

You got it Rootie...Josh Randall of course.

27. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

28. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

This car was built years ago by some guy currently operating out of Auburn, Ind.
    It is not a recreation, as advertised, It is a replica. A recreation would have an Offenhauser engine and the correct 16" and 18" wheels & tires.... not an Alfa with 15"wheels and street tires
    Not sure what transmission it has. The Alfa engine cars usually have an Alfa 5spd trans... not a 3spd non syncro... could be a Model A trans??
    Not sure who the current owner/seller is..?? My guess is, unless they are very desperate to sell, that the reserve price is above 50G.

mac miller in INDY

29. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Even more fun!! Anybody know what car he is working on??

mac miller in INDY