Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. winstoncupgirl

winstoncupgirl

Howard Stanley was my father. He passed away in 1990. My brother Rick Stanley is still turning wrenches everyday. Rick drove the 28 car & sometimes the 29 car at Western Speedway.

2. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Here are photos of Jake Bozony's car in the early 1990's at an IMCA Oldtimers event at Arlington, MN.

The first photo shows the top of driver Gene Fechter's head just above the roll cage .

The third shows Jake leaning on the car, always in his IMCA whites.

Attached Files:

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The Minn. history site has this pic of Richerts 1961 sprint/super.

Attached Files:

4. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Another photo from the same IMCA Oldtimers meet. Since many of the recent posts have been trying to identify persons on photos, try this one.

There a three well known drivers in this photo, one a midget driver.

Anyone?

Attached Files:

5. Second from the left Jerry Blundy?

6. jimg12

jimg12

I have a few pictures of Sonny Ates but they are up north and I am in Fl. His wife [Judy] just got remarried.

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Sonny Ates, proving once again, those USAC guys got all the girls!:D:D

Attached Files:

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

9. easter

easter

Jerry Richert and Johnny White - man it doesn't get a lot better than that. I wonder if that is a Diz Wilson car #71?

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yes it is, their 1962 IMCA championship car.

11. cg5

cg5

12. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Attached Files:

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Methinks Bobby Marvin would have been a fun kinda racer to watch.

Attached Files:

14. hopkins1

hopkins1
    from bedford pa

19ardun46,can you tell us what happened to Don Browns rabbit or where it ended up. I have heard several stories. Hope you can shed light on this !

15. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Bobby Marvin was to make his Indy debut in 1963, driving the yellow #6 NOVI.
    He died just a few days before May.
    The guy who took over the #6 NOVI was rookie Bobby Unser.

Having seen Marvin drive sprint cars, I believe he would have been the perfect guy for the NOVI.....

mac miller in INDY

16. easter

easter

This car sure looks like the one Greg Weld used to drive. Later owned by Bill Hoback.

[​IMG]

17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

At the time of the pic (62) it was Willie Davis's car which he took back east to race USAC with Chuck Hulse driving as the #8. IIRC Weld bought it from him to break into USAC. The external oil tank kinda gives it away, not real common on USAC sprint cars then.

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

In this shot of the pace lap at the 1962 Phx. Champ car race you can see A.J. and Bobby Marvin exchanging "pleasentries" about 5 rows back. Of course I have no idea what is really up with that but I have to wonder if A.J. may be offering some 'advice' to the young upstart. It seems that at the previous Sacto race A.J. and some of the others got their panties in a twist about this newbie's 'spirited' driving style.

Attached Files:

19. baldtireman

baldtireman

Where does the Kenny Weld/Don Rice Ford sponsored car fit in this saga? What about the #22 Blue roadster out of Texas? How about Todd Gibson's "Flintstone Flyer"(the second roadster)? :confused::eek::p

20. easter

easter

Thank you Rootie. The front nerf bar was different, but everything else looked the same. I think it's one of the finest sprint cars ever built.

21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Here's a shot of Hulse in the Davis #8. It appears the nose and bumper was changed out when he took it back east. I've seen where it has been called a Watson car but I believe Davis built it himself but maybe off Watson's prints and/or with his help, not sure about that though.

Attached Files:

22. cg5

cg5

Here's the same car in 1969 with Thad Dosher as owner driver.

Curt Grogan

Attached Files:

23. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Is Willy Davis still alive, if he is we should get him on this site. He would be a wealth of information. Denny Z.

24. easter

easter

Here's the same car outside of my dad at Allentown. (Thanks to Curt Grogan)

[​IMG]

25. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Here's the final set of photos from our West Coast Vintage Racers - Southwest Chapter Event at Havasu 95 Speedway Nov 9-10, 2012.
    Vintage Midgets, Sprintcars and Champ/Indycars took to the track for two days in the beautiful Colorado River Valley Town of Lake Havasu City, AZ. and we helped raze enough cash to purchase about 120 bicycles for needy kids in the area.

The Event Report is with the Editor of Vintage Oval Racing Magazine.
    Keep an eye out in VOR for it to appear in the coming months.

Here’s the link to our Havasu 95 Spdwy Nov 9-10, 2012 Photobucket Album:
    http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af233/carl44s/Havasu Nov 9-10 2012/?start=all

Most of the photos are from our Official WCVR-SC Photographer, Ray Keyrouse; there are also some from Havasu Photographer Steven Paluch, myself and Herk Alcaraz.
    Thanks to all for your work and if anyone has a photo or two they would like to share with others in this Album, please email it to me and I will put it in the event album for all to see.

Our event was also covered by Tom Peters in HotrodHotline.com – here’s the link
    http://www.hotrodhotline.com/node/6877/7724/

And here’s the link to Steven Paluch’s photo site with coverage of our event:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/racersedge/sets/72157631993638640/

anyone recall Vaca Valley Dragstrip?
    [​IMG]

26. racer5c

racer5c

He is Denny but he is having some health issues

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The T in C-T Automotive was Clem Tebow well known as a Ardun conversion guru. He and Willie Davis go way back to the 1940s together in the track roadster/dry lakes/bonneville SoCal scene. In 1956 they teamed up to win the 1956 CRA championship with this Ardun equipped car with Art Bisch driving.

Attached Files:

28. 19Ardun46

19Ardun46

That's the problem with the 3 "Mechanical Rabbits", it's tough to trace the history of each individual car, because they were all so similar, and they had so many different drivers/owners, and there are so many copies built, it's hard to tell which car is which.

I think probably the nicest looking copy of one of the Rabbit's is the Gennese Beer #56 that Grant King built.

I read one time, I think it was in an old issue of "Racing Cars" that the tail mold for Brown's car came from the fuel tank of one of Clint Brawners Indy cars, as I think Brown and him were friends, and they splashed a mold off of the tank for what I feel is one of the best looking offset roadster tails ever. Which brings up another point, since Brown didn't create the original fuel tank the mold was taken from, who is responsible for that great shape?

Ardun

29. racer76

racer76

mac, I have a letter from Andy Granitelli saying the exact same thing,,,,that is why he chose him for the Novi, dad really cleaned up around the midwest in a super modified...as for the "conversation" with AJ...the story goes..AJ wanted dad to follow him a couple of laps to get the feel of the track....he prob did that with a lot of young drivers.....to keep them behind him....they had become good friends....they flew together to Langhorne from Indy....AJ told me he begged dad not to take that ride....BUT YOU KNOW RACERS

30. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Quite sometime back someone suggested the #22 Texas car was originally one of the 3 M/Rs but I don't see anything that makes me think it ever was.:confused:

Attached Files: