Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

CRA was a pretty wide-open affair back in the day; for years, Aggie promoted the weekly Saturday-night show at Ascot as "Big Car Racing", promising "Indy stars & cars", even long after most of the rigs were around 86" wheelbase and Chevy-powered (apart from the Morales Bros & Bromme Offies, among others).
    In the early days of the transition from "California Roadster Association" to "California Racing Association", it probably rang more true, and the Riverside race indeed appears to have been a mixture of "Champ Cars" and "3/4's" as the Sprinters were sometimes called.
    Anybody remember that race being televised? I think it was on Channel 11...

2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

That entry list is interesting. I see everything from a Mazzy to Hudson to Jag. etc. even a Ranger entered by Grant King!

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

1948 and "Mr. 500" hisself, Andy G., fancies himself as a Indy 500 driver. Passes his rookie test o.k. but promptly goes out and knocks the wheels off his old Miller-Ford. I suspect a future hawking engine goop probably looked a little more promising about then. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

4. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Rootie, I tought the rookie drivers test didn't come into existence until 1952. I think Rodger Ward was the first to pass it.???

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Could be, Jim, I really dunno other than Champ car stats show drivers ' not passing rookie test' long before 1952. :confused:

6. Rootie, is this the same car that Andy allegedly drove to the speedway from Chicago as he did not have a trailer?

7. PyroArtist

PyroArtist

Thought I'd share a few photo's of the latest panel I've been working on. It's Buddy Cagle at the 1958 Milwaukee Mile USAC race in the Marquette Offy. Once I'm done with it I'll be giving it to Buddy! I'll post more pics as the piece gets closer to completion. Next up are 2 or 3 panels that will be part of the auction at the Donnie Ray Crawford Memorial/Race4Life race at Port City Raceway on Labor Day Weekend.

Attached Files:

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I've heard that story also and, if true, it's probably the same car but that may have occured in 46/47, not sure.

9. shearnville

shearnville
    from Indiana

It really is a small world. I am from Coshocton ,Ohio and Bob Howell was my uncle. I remember how he got started in racing. On his way home going through Dresden, Ohio he saw an old super modified for sale and bought it for $500.It got a lot better after that. Also I worked at GE with your mom and dad. Good memories!

10. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Rootie, maybe I'm thinking about the rookie test be revamped to the 4 ten lap speed ranges.

Old brain cells!!!

11. TommyA19

TommyA19

C'mon, Jim OLD Brain Cells? You're just a kid still - in some of our eyes. By the way, any chance you sending me an e-mail - lost your address when my 'puter was hacked (twice)

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yeah, I, for one, can relate to the 'old brain cell' syndrome :eek:. To be honest I really don't know much about the ins and outs of the rookie test deal. Here's a shot of a AAA guy applying rookie stripes to Chuck Stevensons #8 in 1951. Don't know what the criteria was to be able to remove them then but it was often a cause for some celebration when they could.

Attached Files:

13. I have read two versions of that legend:

A: They flat-towed the car behind their truck, then did indeed drive the car around Indianapolis with a non-race flathead in it for promotional purposes...then when tongues went to a-wagging about 'a race car on the streets of Indy' Andy decided to tell everyone that they drove it down from Chicago.

B: They did indeed drive it down from Chicago behind their truck with a non-race flathead in the Miller-Ford, then when they got to the track, they switched in the race engine and yes, when driving around Indianapolis, they would switch the non-race engine back in...

As far as I know Andy and Vince are still with us....anyone know them personally?

14. By the way, the GranCor Miller-Ford STILL holds a record at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway....Anyone want to guess what that record is?

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

futility?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

16. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Crossed the finish line sliding backwards?

17. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

Fastest flattie?

18. Only Indianapolis 500 race car to be driven to the speedway?

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Speaking of old brain cells... I may have posted this before, just can't remember. If so newer readers/lookie loos might find it interesting.

Back in 1950, while filming the movie- To Please A Lady- 'Barb' and 'Clark' became friends with Johnnie Parsons. At some point they observed J.P. reply to a pit board instruction, he didn't agree with, by using the old middle finger salute. The cast and crew thought that was pretty damn cool and later on they had this picture taken and sent it to J.P.

BTW- the fellow on the right is Bill Hickman. He was a long time stuntman/minor actor and James Dean cohort. To us gearheads he's probably better known as the horn rimmed glasses wearing, Dodge Charger driving, hit man that Frank Bullit chased around S.F. in the movie Bullit.

Attached Files:

20. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Rookie stripes were removed after successfully completing all four 10 lap speed ranges, and yes that was always a big deal for the rookie. Denny Z.

21. KKx125

KKx125

The Marquette OFFY is restored and living in Brisbane,Queensland,Australia

22. Danny Kladis and the GranCor Miller-Ford still holds the record for an L-head engined car...probably forever. Of course, not so long ago we thought the same about pushrod engines but Ilmor-Mercedes certainly changed that.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  23. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

One of Andys Grancor Indy mills, in all its flatness and splendor. :cool:

Attached Files:

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Hot shot IMCA sprint car driver Marv Pifer takes a run at Indy 1956. Proving, once again, that race cars are like women; you can shower them with money and affection, but sooner or later their gonna turn on you. :D

Attached Files:

25. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

I've seen the originals of some of these pictures, and heard the stories right from Kladis as I listened to his stories as a kid. He was proud of that record. I was there a lot since we had family connections, racing connections, etc... There were pics of him sitting with Clark Gable also, he may have done some driving in one of the movies...but not sure.
    And yes....he thought back then the flatty record was safe for awhile...

26. Jim: If you have time, please do share....I'm sure we'd all love to read of your experiences with Danny Gladis....

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Came across some more Stoodie-baker stuff. 1956 and Lindsey Hopkins brings his old Lesovesky dirt car along to Indy now equiped with a DOHC Stude. Don't know much more about it but is shown as a DNQ with Dick Rathmann up. I've never seen a picture of the whole car with that motor in it so, for all I know, it may have ever even left the garage. Kinda interesting though.

Attached Files:

28. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

"Rookie" driver tests were introduced in 1936, and the gent in the picture with the Hopkins V8 was the first driver to pass. The AAA man in this picture is Harry Hartz, by the way. To the left, Tudy Marchese, I believe.

[​IMG]

29. PyroArtist

PyroArtist

That's great! Do you happen to have any pics of the restored car? Thanks!

30. jmcintosh

jmcintosh

Can you tell who the sponser is on the car? Could it be Commercial Motor Freight?