Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I don't know if I've said it on this thread or not, but if so, here it is again. I think these closed haulers have taken a lot of the "romance" out of racing. There's something special about seeing a pretty (or not so pretty) race car heading down the highway and wondering where it's going to or coming from.

Same goes for these fancy garages, to a point. Remember the days when nearly every gas station in a racing town had a race car of some kind sitting out front during business hours? I don't know how many times I've pulled in just to ask about that car.

2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Keep in mind the DVL team was a top shelf "Penske" operation at that time, so that hauler is actually pretty elaborate. Most got to the track much like this:

Attached Files:

3. Dick L

Dick L

I still look at open trailers to this day, hoping to see a sprint car on it!

4. easter

easter

I'm with you. You could tell how good of a gas station it was by what qualtiy race car was out front. However, there are no more gas stations as we knew them. Every gas station had a hose/bell you ran over and some guy would come right out. Every gas station had at least two garage doors with lifts inside. Every gas station had a stack of oil cans in the front window and a pop machine out front - with glass bottles. Now there's some cat from Pakistan behind the counter of the self serve mart pushing high dollar cigarettes and slurpees. Gas stations were where you got gas, oil, air for your tires, condoms for the weekend, and your first shot of whiskey in the back room by the poker game and parts calender with the big girls on it. Man, those were good times.

5. Dick L

Dick L

And $1.00 for 3 gallons of gas.

6. Ron67

Ron67

It is worth remembering that when the hose bell rang and the "guy" came out besides pumping the gas, the air, oil, and water got checked, the windows washed, ash tray dumped, and pretty much any other cosmetic item needed if asked for. Oh yeah, and the impression was left that your business was appreciated! One example: Texaco had customer service reps randomly checking stations for correct business practices at unannounced locations. Texaco "dollars" were handed out to the "guy" that was correctly interacting with the customer in the 50's. Never got one of those dollars, but always assumed the next customer would be the "mystery" Texaco service guy!

7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Clean forgot all about the "Mystery Customer" :D $100.00 from Sohio well into the '80's! Sorry, OT...

8. if memory serves me right, also the car Walt Brown had his fatal @ w. Grove.

9. TommyA19

TommyA19

Ain't that the truth, Jim! And the stands were FULL, too!

10. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

Guys, here's a good read on the American Gas Stations. There's several others in publication too. Very rare to find service stations like this, even more with a race car out front or in one of the bays being worked on for the next race. God I miss those days.

[​IMG]

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

But, in this day I'd much rather have things secure, dry and away from prying eyes. A big illustration on the side of the box body or trailer works for the curious / advertising. Did you guys see the post about the vintage car, tow vehicle and trailer stolen from the parking lot at the Ford Museum? Gary

12. kscuda

kscuda
    from olathe, ks

A couple of pics of Tom Randols 1952 Frank Curtis Sprint Car at Art of the Cars in Kansas City. Per placard: Frame & Aluminum Body by Don Brown, Engine work by Dick Easterwood. Driven by: Bob Slater, Mac McHenry , Vito Calia, Jud Larson, Pete Folse, Bill Chennault, and Hershal Wagner.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

14. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Here are a few photos of Josh at the Millers at Milwaukee meet yesterday. These were taken when he drove Bob Dicks' Mac Miller built roadster replica. Josh really looked good on the track and ran the car as smoothly as anyone has ever done even though it was his first time in the car. And in the last photo he seems to have a big smile on his face after the run so I guess he enjoyed himself. :D

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  15. Bellmire17

Bellmire17

To Bob Easter Great piece about Tampa

16. racer5c

racer5c

I know this is newer than 69 but thought Van May might like to see a pic of his brother I ran across and I don't have an email for him

Attached Files:

17. easter

easter

Is that "oiled" dirt? Man, that's black.

18. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

Easter-you've never been to north dakota in the red river valley?thats the color dirts supposed to be!!!lol

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Something a little different-Paul Russo stylin in Lou Fageols ex-Miller-Ford turned hot rod.

Attached Files:

20. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Great weekend in Millwaukee! Glad to see so many HAMB guys there.

I'll post more later this week. Gotta get the shops back in order.

In the meantime, here is a Video for you all of the 1949 Kurtis KK2000 making some laps along with a few build shots.

Thanks for everyones help, and well wishes.

Joshua Shaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ki9cac6_ew

21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thanks for the video Josh. Nice camera angle. I sure would like to hear that car at full song. Is it hard to keep your foot out of it? Especially after all that restoration work?

22. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I'm pretty hard on shit.. No matter how much pain and effort when into it. :D

I built it once.. I can build it again.

I prefer to calling it "Duty rating" or "Stress Research"

23. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

Thanks Josh for the video...sorry I didn't have more time to visit with yall in Milwaukee...I drove Akin's two cars some 50 laps...WOW what an experience..tell the old man hello and not to snort too much one-shot...Joe

24. easter

easter

Josh - What a beautiful car. I sent that video to a bunch of my friends. Now, there's hard on's all along the Gulf Coast. Really nice.

25. Piggybacking on Josh's earlier post, here's a few pix from Millers at Milwaukee and three short videos I shot of Josh taking the GranCor Kurtis out for a spin. Special thanks to Josh, Jenny, Andy Hurtubise and their family and friends for being so gracious and kind. I had a great time-this was my first trip to Milwaukee and Millers but it surely won't be my last. Great cars, great people, great city and a great time.

Here's a link to a few of my pix from the event-I hope to add more later.

http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/...2012 Milers at Milwaukee/?albumview=slideshow

Videos here: http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/ii176/weavervillestudios/2012%20Milers%20at%20Milwaukee/#!cpZZ3QQtppZZ20

PS: Can anyone tell me how to embed a Photobucket Video? I can't seem to get it to work..YouTube videos are easy, but Photobucket-not so much!

26. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

S'more on the 1958 Riverside 500 for sprint cars.

Attached Files:

27. QuadCam

QuadCam
    from CA

I agree with Bob, the Anderson Sprintcar changed the whole face of racing in Australia. I remember being at my dad's shop at the Cross when Mike Raymond brought it by after getting it out of customs. We all said "Glad we don't own a Super Modified or a Midget!" That car, and Johnny Anderson completely dominated every race they entered.

I'm really envious of Streak that he has this car, Tatt's Cascio Offy and Bill Warners "Mooneyes" super modified.

Chris McGee.

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Zora Arkus Duntov, father of the Corvette and Ardun cyl. heads, arrives at Indy 1947. Now that makes me feel a whole lot better about some of the crapola I use to drag my stuff around on. :D:D

Attached Files:

29. TommyA19

TommyA19

Sprint cars? Did that race at Riverside have both Sprint Cars and Champ Cars in it?

30. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Appears so. Probably 'Big Cars' (not midgets) would be a better description.

Attached Files: