Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Nah,It's just a dirt track that you have to run a asphalt set up on because as the program calls it, it's HARD CLAY.We ran there with a sprint car and it wasn't working so jokingly i suggested running an asphalt set up under it and it took off til the tires went away in the feature.The place just used to burn up tires,I knew a guy who raced at Accord on friday nites ran the whole season there on one set of tires,he would go thru a set a nite at Middletown on saturdays........Rich

2. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I'm toying around with the idea of building a little midget trailer with a fold away tongue.
    Any pics of traditional single axle trailers would be great. Any tips or advice on construction methods or materials used would also be appreciated.

Thanks

3. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I'm thinking something along these lines, with a folding tongue. I think I can get it to be around 14' total length and with the tongue folded it would be around 12'. Tail would hang out around 2' which would get me back to 14' and could fit in the garage with car on it for storage.

These pics were sent to me by Dave Weir a few years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. gearguy

gearguy

There is/was an interesting one on E-Bay out of the Detroit area. See if you can find plans for the Watson dolly trailer. Gregg Kishline has a vintage one if you can't find the plans.

We've been working on our open trailer a bit but it is far from what we need.

This one is for sale but needed a bunch of work to fit even my vintage cars. Those KK-V8-60s with 5" wheels were very skinny on track width.

Attached Files:

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I've found a short, lightweight car/trailer can be fussy about its tounge weight and getting it to track well. If you don't have the luxury of being able to move the car foward/back to help adjust the tounge weight, movable spindles can help. In the past I've used 70s AMC car spindles that are bolt-on flat backed and could be moved back/forth a few inches to dial in the tounge weight. These days those spindles may be hard to find but welding some trailer spindle stubs on to a bolt on plate is easy enough to do also. Just a thought.

6. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Attached Files:

7. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Here's the one that wouldn't load.

Note the wiring for the lights goes forward in the tongue tube.

Do not note the springs, someone put coils on top of the leafs of this axle. Use a a rubber torsion axle for simplicity and low height. This one is a tall dude.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  8. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Instead of a folding tongue maybe a 2-inch square reciever pocket at the front of the trailer could accept a thick walled 2-inch drawbar that would insert into the pocket - maybe with a couple of triangulating outrigger struts affixed with quick release push/pull pins outboard. That's the way I'd solve the problem.

9. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

That way the drawbar could be made as long as you like - long enough so the corner of the trailer would clear the corner of the tow vehicle - to permit tight turns when backing the trailer into tight spots.

10. Winchester Old Timers this coming weekend, August 20/21st. Vintage cars on the famous high banks of Winchester Speedway. Track time for Vintage cars both days.
    www.winchesterot.com for details.

HG :cool:

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

12. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Pretty nice collection, doesn't seem to be too expensive, at least the reserve looks reasonable...

13. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Don't think it's a King. Cage looks wrong. Possible Stapp - based on design of nose?

Either way it would be worth a thou.

14. baldtireman

baldtireman

:eek:
    At a grand,I think you have seriously undervalued this car. Tires,wheels,magneto,driveline are worth over double that. Didn't Grant King copy the Stapp car? The Elder Caddy car that Geo.Snider flew out of Winchester was a King car,according to a 20+ year old "Open Wheel" magazine feature. :D

15. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

A mid-70's sprint that came out of the shop after his passing? He died in 2000. Was it sitting in the shop all that time?

16. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

I don't know about this car specifically but Grant King built a run of multiple new "vintage" sprint car frames and (on at least some of them) bodies not too long before his accident. Most of these were sold at his estate auction. If the car in this ad is one of them this is the 5th new "vintage" Grant King sprinter that I have heard of in the last few years. One of the cars was even sold to an owner in the U.K. This one does look like an actual older frame however, as the other "vintage" frames were brand new and were set up with roll bars and not a cage as is this car. :)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  17. racer5c

racer5c

I'll ask Grant's nephew and see what he thinks, I'll alsp ask Doc Kendricks daughter and see if she knows about the car. cage looks wrong to me too but not a great pic of the frame in the bunch

18. RDZSPRINT

RDZSPRINT
    from Hayden,In.

Does anyone out there have any photos or stories to share of Cecil Beavers in the red #57 Foutch Chevy sprint car he drove in the 60's ?

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  19. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

I never saw Cecil drive in person, but did see movies of him at Terra Haute. Why I remember him is, in the corners he would let go of the steering wheel with both hands and regrip for more.

darndest thing I ever saw!

20. baldtireman

baldtireman

If you guys wanna help an old guy feel better,how about sending a card to Gus Linder@ 8000 Lawrence Dr. Bethel Park,Pennsylvania. 15102.
    He fell and broke his hip,and is recuperating in a convalescent center near his home.His family will make sure he gets the messages. He was quite a classy sprint car driver back in the day. His career went from late 40's to mid 80's. :cool:

21. jmh

jmh

Spent many evenings and Sunday afternoons at Clinton Speedway watching Gus.. Always had a very nice car thanks to Mickey!! Get well Gus.. John

22. TommyA19

TommyA19

Darlington Vintage meet a no go

From an e-mail I recieved:

"I just heard that the Darlington Historic Racing Festival scheduled for
    Sept. 24-25 has been canceled. I'd heard that the advance entries were lagging
    far behind and that was probably the reason for pulling the plug.
    Too bad but it's all about the money with everything these days.

Marty Little
    Ft Lauderdale, Fla."

23. Doesn't look like a GK cage to me either.I know the guy selling this car. I can't imagine him trying to say anything off base. He is very particular about making statements like the ad has, from what I've known of him. I'm betting there is some truth to the GK claim.

24. racer5c

racer5c

From Grant's nephew

I think that is one of Ronnie fullers first few King cars, about 78 or 79. No history for that car. His other car was the Knepper ride that Rich & Parsons drove. Grant restored that car and sold it.

25. Don Edmunds tells the story of his #99 midget.

26. Update on the ebay Grant King sprinter

This car was bought from a guy that came out of Killeen, Texas, along with much of the other items sold at Grant's estate auction some years back.

Apparently this was one of two or three cars that were never finished at GK's shop.

27. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello, Brian26. Thanks for that clip. I believe the same as he does. We would not put our American drivers behind the eight ball when it comes to transferring to Indy cars. If they would of rolled with the times!
    Thanks again, Tom

Attached Files:

28. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

30. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

I guess we can see the passion that made Don successful..He tracked the boat that carried the car !!!!