Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Great day! Fri. Jul. 29, for the Carl S, mac miller, indyrjc group.
    Following a morning of rain and jet track dryers, the #15 Boyle Valve Spl. joined about 20 other vintage Indy cars for an afternoon of lap time on the high bank, two mile Michigan International Speedway.

mac miller in INDY

Attached Files:

2. Rusty5

Rusty5
    from Dallas, TX

Al,
    The focus of you pictures is outstanding. I was a track photographer for years and I know how hard it is to keep cars in focus as they vary in distance from the camera. I really like every one of your pictures I've seen. All of my stuff is well after 1969. I was 14 then. Much of my stuff is on the Racing From The Past website. I started taking action pictures of sprint cars in 1978 in the Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas areas. Thanks for posting your pictures here.
    Rusty5 (Manning)

3. krooser

krooser

4. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Here's a link to some photos (courtesy Mac Miller and Indyrjc) in my photo bucket album of the event, will add more as they become available.
    Anyone have some to share would be appreciated.
    http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af233/carl44s/Concours of America 2011/?start=all

Here's one of Cliff Woodbury in Umbrella Mike's old Miller 91 chasing Jiggler Joe's Clark Gable Spl.
    [​IMG]
    Well actually it's Indyrjc chasing Tom Malloy's Don lee Spl. :>)

5. krooser

krooser

Is the clark gable car the one from "To Please A Lady"?

6. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

7. KK500

KK500

Those headers are still on the car, I recognize a dent on the #8 pipe from 1969 pics. They are 4 primaries into a 4-into-1 collector. They appear to join, but run parallel longer than normal.

Attached Files:

8. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Roy, That's still one of my favorite memories of Millwaulkee! Trying not to laugh at you asking me that.

:D

9. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Hey fella's. Nice guy named Matt E-mailed me this picture from his Moms Photo Album. His Gandpa used to work on this car.

He's just looking for any and ALL kind of onfo on it.. Yeah, the who and when but also the: Type of car, engine, track, everything.

Help him out please, Thanks!

J Shaw

Attached Files:

10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I'm curious as to how fast they let you guys lean on them? The promo press release says that will be based on "similar vintage and performance levels" which seems a little contradictary as some older vintage cars are ready to boogie at full song and some later museum pieces may just be looking for a few parade laps. Tell us more.

11. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Actually, there was no speed limitation. Everyone ran to their own comfort level within the capability of their car.
    I ran in a group of 5 prewar Indy cars. Some of these cars were running 65 MPH. I was running lap speeds of 80 to 85 MPH with 150 HP and 4" tires. I could have used another 40 HP before approaching the limits of my tires..
    Some of the OFFY roadsters were running 110 to 115 MPH laps with 400 HP and 7" to 9" tires. One of the rear engine Indy cars with a turbo 4 cam Ford ran some 130 MPH laps with 650 HP and 14" tires.
    The track is very wide, so everybody finds their own driving line on the track. Passing slower cars is absolutely no drama at this track.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  12. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Wow mac, I'm drooling with envy. Work on my replicar is sporadic but my desire is to run it at MIS some day.

I'll have about 350 hp at my disposal in my inline six, but with skinny tires and wire wheels I may need to use it sparingly

13. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

What area are we talking about, Josh? I'm guessing late thirties, somewhere in the Midwest??? Not that I can see anything I'm familiar with, but limiting the possibilities would be a good idea...

14. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

to get started:
    The photo is credited to The Wood Collection and here may be some clews as to the location of the track:
    "Thanks to Bill Wood of Fort Scott, Kansas for sharing these photos from the 1930s. Most of the photos document the career of Bill’s dad, Jimmy Wood, who raced both big cars and midgets in South Dakota and neighboring states. Wood raced some with the IMCA but most of the time with groups that would have to be described as “outlaw outlaw”. Wood won more than his share of races in both the big cars and midgets. Many of the photos are “snapshots” and apparently were taken by Jimmy and his wife, Helen. Thanks to them, and the kindness of Bill Wood, a bit of real dirt track racing is preserved.
    Don Radbruch"

Bob Green of Orlando, Florida
    http://winfield.50megs.com/tripod/WoodCollection.htm

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  15. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey guy's, I was wondering if any body knows when the Latimore Valley get together is,THANKS,RICH

16. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

August 19-21

17. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

THANK YOU, for the dates.........Rich

18. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

While we're on the Latimore Valley subject, I am planning on fulfilling an item on my "bucket list" by towing out there. In March I requested input on some Vintage Car diversion while in Las Vegas and was blessed to learn about the Caruso and Rachinski museums from the HAMB.

Now I'm asking the same for any garage or collection visits I could make on the way out and/or on the way back. My primary interest is pre war and early post war midgets and big cars of unusual construction and engines.

Anybody have a "steer" for me?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  19. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

I have quite a bit on Bob Green!

Hometown mostly listed as Orlando, sometimes Tampa. Ran mostly IMCA (1924-28), then AAA (1929-31) and again IMCA (1931-38). Won a main(e) event at Lewiston (ME) on September 8, 1932, 5½ miles in 6'34" (said to be a track record), with Roy Lake apparently second. Also second in an 11-miler at Lakewood Park/Atlanta (GA) on July 4, 1929, behind Swan Peterson and ahead of Buddy Callaway. Else, a number of top 3 finishes in heat races, including a few wins.

The areas he raced cover pretty much anything from Florida to North Dakota! Tracks include Tampa and DeLand (FL), Lakewood (GA), Altamont (NY), Danbury (CT), Rutland (VT), Lewiston (ME), Elyria and Columbus (OH), Spencer and Mason City (IA), Grand Forks and Fargo (ND).

Cars that he drove: Essex (1924), Bugatti (1925), "Johnnie Jones, Jr. Special" (1926), "Memphis Special" (1927), Frontenac (1928), "Florida Special" (1929 & '35), "Salerno Special" (1929), Jack Sheppard/Frontenac (1931), "Gator Special" (1932), McDowell (1936 & '38). I am guessing the picture shows the McDowell. In fact, on first seeing the car and the #17, I was initially reminded of the #17 McDowell that Virgil Williams owned in AAA in the mid-thirties, but that may be coincidence - unfortunately, I cannot think of a picture of the Williams/McDowell to make comparisons. That car was mostly driven by Walt Brown and Walt Keiper, sometimes Harry Angeloni, Eddie Staneck, Ernie Gesell or Ken Fowler.

20. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

I forgot to ask,what day is the best day to attend this show.....Rich

21. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello, Guys. Been busy this summer. Started running A midget, first timer. Here is A old photo.

Attached Files:

22. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Rich if you are only going for 1 day, I would go Saturday.

23. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

If Cincinnati can be made "On your way" come by Zakira's and see GROUND ZERO for Miller restorations.I'll be around till Thursday the 18th.. Then heading to Latimore Friday morning.

J Shaw

24. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

These Three cars will be in attendance AND MAKING LAPS at Latimore Valley, Williams Grove, and Lincoln PA, the weekend of Aug 19th - 21st

See you there!

J Shaw

Attached Files:

25. TommyA19

TommyA19

Ah, the good old days when racecars had some real attractive, nice numbers - not like today's "block" style on most every car. And, subject for a debate: The angle of todays' numbers on cars - top leaning forward or top leaning back? I prefer the way they were in the past - top leaning forward.

26. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

Love that #10 car Josh and Ken!!

27. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Missed your mug at MIS last friday. Didn't see #1 on the track either?
    Link to photos from the track:
    http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af233/carl44s/Concours of America 2011/?start=all

Going to The Joe James/Pat O'Connor Memorial at Salem on Sat?

Mac Miller and Indyrjc will be running the Boyle Valve Spl for me, then Winchester a few weeks later.

Carl Schulz
    Indio, CA

28. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

#1 H.C.S. Miller was sent to michigan for a feature in OCTAIN Magazine.. It wasn't intended at that event for track time, ONLY Concoarse show stuff... So, I didn't go. :rolleyes:

29. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Well I think #1 still wanted to get out there!:)

[​IMG]

30. easter

easter