Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Sprinto7

Sprinto7

I think you need bigger tires.

Sprinto7

Attached Files:

2. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

Is that a street sweeper ???:eek:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  3. Sprinto7

Sprinto7

Eventually it'll be a Jeep. To replace my 23T.

Theoretically it's a 1956, so it's older than 1969.

Sprinto7

Attached Files:

4. easter

easter

I'm sure you're talking about the big toe on his right foot! He's on it so hard, that might be his toe sticking out the front grill. Stab and steer. It really is a shame this is on a road course. Put on some knobbys and find an old fairgrounds. Still looks pretty cool, though.

5. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

[​IMG]

Hell of a Photoshop job there!! ;) Looks killer. Beautiful car too!

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Insanely cool. Do you have a build file / photo gallery off-HAMB? A buddy of mine and I had a plan (unfunded) back in the 70's to put one of those JC Whitney type Jeep replacement bodies on a Bug pan and make it an ultra-low autocross special. But this is SO much cooler and far nicer! We always thought the Jeep fenders in the front had a quasi-917 CANAM look to them, ifn you squint a little. Gary

7. Sprinto7

Sprinto7

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

9. easter

easter

Photoshop? Josh, are you questioning the authenticity of this photo? By making a comment like you did, you are tarnishing the honesty of race car drivers throughout history. So, you must also believe the following racing related comments must be false: "Hell, I didn't know those heads were made of aluminum!", or "Aviation fuel? How'd that get in there?", or "Those roll bar mounts were on this car when I bought it. I don't even own a roll cage.", or "Hell no we didn't dip those tires before we qualified!". I suppose you even doubt: "He jumped the start!", or "He cut me off!", or "The throttle stuck!", or even: "200 lbs light? We haven't touched it since Winchester!" Well, I believe these men. All of them. Racers may be the most honorable men in history. Even Saint A.J. said: "It's only cheating if you get caught."

10. Sprinto7

Sprinto7

Your approved.

11. Have not done a lot of work on the Street Sprint over the last few weeks, got the old Vette out for the first time today.....love the first ride of the new year....then a load of parts turned up all at once.The steering box came,I made some towers to mount it on, and these need welding in place to finish that job.My header and exhaust are being polished,and have turned out really well.A cool guy in the US made me a nice cam cover,and my new wet sump is in the mail......by the way does any one know what size slpine a Vega/525 Saginaw steering box pitman arm uses.....I dont want to use a Vega arm...need a 'sprint ' style arm....

Attached Files:

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Vegas have a 1"x 36 spline. Don't know if the 525 is the same though.

13. Josh! Good eyes. You're the only guy that's gotten it. Some of the tire smoke is real. The rubber in the air and on the track is "bogus".:D

14. Seriously,the way it is set up, the car, going into a turn, has "overstreer" which, generally (if the speed is right), goes to "neutral" (with, perhaps a drift) at the apex. As for the "toe", I'm generally starting to "roll in" on the "go" pedal, shortly after my turn in (sometimes before). And, depending on the turn, I'm pretty much "Full on it" before I get to the apex.

I did have "knobbies" in the rear; and "ribs" in the front, for dirt. But, on today's clay tracks; and the stuff they run (800 hp+ sprinters; and beat up, skinny tired Hobby Stocks); by the time the let us "oldies" on the track, the ruts and holes are such that they do a whole lot of damage to suspension and wheels of spindlely stuff like mine. Pavement is bad enough.:(

15. Yup! Carl, that IS a great video! I posted my reply to the guy several years ago. I hope, when they put the next engine in it, that they took the advise to put a harmonic damper on the nose of the crank. I put one on the last engine built for mine; and, so far, it's been "Bullet Proof".

16. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

easter, It's not cheating......It's called unfair advantage. Denny Z

17. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Back a few pages there was talk about Novis. You may find interesting a print I did of one of my early stained glass windows, 1956 Novi driven by Paul Russo. The prints are for sale on Ebay, 400109878785. Have a look.

Attached Files:

18. easter

easter

That's beautiful. Thanks.

19. easter

easter

I love how drivers become dumbfounded and confused when questioned by the officials. However, the crew chief or owner suddenly turns into a lawyer when discussing "rule interpretation". You know anything about that Denny Z?

20. NOW THAT IS SOME FINE WORK! Composition and perspective is "spot on"....

21. Thanks for that Rootie.......the search is on.

22. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

easter, My lips are sealed. Denny Z

23. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Another one.....I was tying my shoes when that happened...didn't see a thing. Denny Z

24. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Easter, you're cracking me up. I've copied all those for possible future use in a column or even a book. I've heard 'em all, plus a few more.

Denny, "unfair advantage" sounds good, but Harry Hyde used to call it "competitive engineering."

The best one I heard as a race official, and I hope Josh will forgive me for slipping into the stock car world for this, was when I was using a new sonic tester ASA had just bought on roll cages at Michigan. A new competitor showed up, and the tester revealed his cages were .065 tubing instead of the required .085 (or .080, the memory is the second thing to go). I checked the tester twice, and it still came up .065.

He said, "I just bought this car from Rusty Wallace. He's been running it all year."

I replied, "Well, we just bought this tester, I recommend you go see Mr. Wallace and tell him you want the rest of the car."

I suspect the car was sold after "Mr. Wallace" found out we had purchased the tester.

25. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Thank you Mr. Penske - I mean Denny.

26. Speaking of NOVI's
    This makes a nice computer wallpaper.
    [​IMG]

27. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Speedwrench you are correct. Denny Z

28. easter

easter

Sorry, I'm going off topic just to share a story. In the late '60s there was a "Run What You Brung" Twin 50 lappers at New Bremen (Ohio). There were old Indy cars (front and rear engine), Oswego type modifides, sprint cars, and homemade wedges. Dad (Luke) brought the Howell Trans. #54 Trevis Sprinter and I think he went cageless. I remember at the start there was a bad wreck going into #3 and a driver was badly burned.
    Anyway, as the race wore on, Dad was running in the top 10 or 15 and lifting the left front higher and higher each lap. His words: "As hard as I was driving and as well as the car was handling, I knew I was going to the front. Then, one time going into #3, I thought I saw something off to the right. I'm three wheeling the car and working my ass off when I notice there really is something on my right. I looked to the right and there was Johnny Benson (Senior) in his white wedge (I think #21) passing me on the outside! I almost wrecked as I stared at him because he was driving with one hand and picking his nose with the other! He finally looked over at me, gave me a little wave, and drove away." Dad said he was so disheartened he almost parked the car. If my memory serves me right, Benson won both races that day. PS: The white car in the picture on the left is the one Dad was driving.

29. The Sprint Car Hall of Fame brought this car down to the KC World of Wheels this year.

[​IMG]

From here.

30. easter

easter

Revoh - I've got a bunch of photos from Tampa in 1970. Just about every car had a cage on then. I wonder if this Gritz story had anything to do with IMCA allowing cages?