Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. daveww1

daveww1

2. daveww1

daveww1

3. daveww1

daveww1

Sneaking in a midget picture at Latimore Valley[​IMG]

4. daveww1

daveww1

5. daveww1

daveww1

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Ted and all,
    When did the fairgrounds track in Tampa get torn down? I remember seeing a few sprint races and even an AMA flat track race there but I can't remember the year(s) - perhaps 1987-90 time frame when I was first stationed at McDill. But then the next thing I heard the track was going to be dozed. Pissed me off. Were there regular events there or just during the fair? No biggie, just wondering. Enjoying the stuff from Tampa you guys are posting. Gary

7. easter

easter

Luke in Tampa.

[​IMG]

8. easter

easter

Age 13 and I know I look good in this. I wanted you guys to share the joy.

[​IMG]

9. easter

easter

Could somebody tell me who this driver is? I know Dad liked him and man, doesn't she look like Bernadette Peters? I'll bet either one of them could whip my butt. This is Tampa.

[​IMG]

10. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Is anybody going to the vintage races in Orlando this weekend? It is the same group that put on Zephyrhills, they moved the show to Orlando speedway this year. I am going on Saturday.

11. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

We have a beautiful horse racing facility that was built maybe 15 or twenty years ago, Canterbury Downs.

The two biggest crowds they have had were for a snowmobile race and a motorcycle race.

They don't do that any more, too much noise.

12. easter

easter

I'm not sure of this driver's name either. I seem to remember Ron? Russ? Perkins? Parkinson? I could be way off, but he was obviously a winner! I believe this is Topeka.

[​IMG]

13. PK

PK
    from Ohio

I'm planning on being there on Friday:) ... Jim Graybeal are you going to make it?
    PK

14. cg5

cg5

It's Ron Perkins.

Curt Grogan

15. sramoa

sramoa

I looking photo and info for following cars:

Olszewsky-Voelker(Bill Doster raced in early 50s years)
    Kohenle(my record:#92 in Indy 500 1952) and the Christy car:driven by Wayne Selser(#75) in 1953 Indy 500

Note:Christy car was enterd Arco Co. of Omaha,NE
    Koehnle:John F. Koehnle of Los Angeles had a Wayne car in late 40s years

16. Ted Kempgens

Ted Kempgens
    from Florida

Dad owned Kemp's Gulf Service, About 3 miles from the fairgrounds. The Gasparilla parade passsed right in front of it. I grew up with all the local racers kids and we hung out in turn 4. We used to bring wood and nails to build ourselves a bench and cover to sit on. Poncho Alvarez's 2 boy's Randy and Mark, Pete folse's son Pete Jr.The Riddles, The Smiths and on and on. Great times, My Son now races sprint cars but he never got to see what we saw as That was some wild times on dirt. Thanks again, Ted

17. kevinnewman502

kevinnewman502
    from Kentucky

this is a picture from my collection...I have no idea who it is or why we have the photo...

Attached Files:

18. easter

easter

Thad Dosher at Tampa 1970. Dad's ride in the background.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  19. easter

easter

I believe this is Thad Dosher's car at Tampa moved over towards the front stretch. The couple in the photo is Don Arnette and his wife (Peggy I think) and I believe their kid in the lower left corner. They were fans of Dad's and came down from the Ohio River area to watch him. They had followed him through his supermodified days.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  20. easter

easter

Another shot of the pits at Topeka from the top of the grandstand. It really got loud up there - it was great.

[​IMG]

21. easter

easter

Ted - Here's a picture of Dad coming off of #4 at Tampa - you were probably right down there watching. Does this area look familiar?

[​IMG]

22. easter

easter

Here's Luke changing gears at Topeka (nice pants, huh?) Speaking of nice pants, I wonder why all those guys are paying so much attention to the red head? She was at the track with Dad's car owner.

[​IMG]

23. john kiser

john kiser

Interesting story! I run a 79' Buckley Sprint car in the West Coast Vintage Racers. It has a Halibrand Champ rearend and guess what is on the rear cover.? PK! He must have machined-off about 1/4" then put a sub-plate on with countersunk Allen-head machine screws. The cover is held on with four T-bolts, top, bottom and each side. I bought the car from Ronnie Boone in Maryland several years ago. He told me about the initials but not about the shooting. I've had some fun with the initials saying that it was my Dad's because his were also PK. I'll have to post some pics of the car and rearend.

24. daveww1

daveww1

25. daveww1

daveww1

26. daveww1

daveww1

27. daveww1

daveww1

28. daveww1

daveww1

29. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

First Chevy Powered USAC sprint car win?

This may have been answered before but who is generally acknowledged as having the first USAC sprinter to win powered by a Chevrolet V8. I know Joe Barzda won at Thompson CT on June 1, 1958 and again at Sundusky on June 7, 1958 in the California Speed and Sport Special #33 that was Chev powered. I cannot find any information on earlier wins with this power plant.

Anyone have any confirmation of the event?

Thanks in advance.

30. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I believe Sept. 15th 1957 at Reading was Barzda's first win in a Chevy powered sprint and is considered the first in USAC.

USAC Sprint Car (Eastern) race
    Reading Fairgrounds, Reading, PA
    September 15, 1957
    13 laps on 0.5 mile dirt oval; 6.5 miles

<TABLE border=1><STYLE type=text/css> table { border-collapse: separate;empty-cells: show } </STYLE><TBODY><TR><TH>Fin <TH>St <TH>Driver <TH># <TH>Owner <TH>Car <TH>Laps <TH>Money <TH>Status <TH>Laps Led <TR><TD align=right>1 <TD align=right> <TD> Joe Barzda <TD align=middle> 33 <TD> <TD> <TD align=right>13 <TD align=right> 555 <TD align=right> running <TD align=right> </TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>2 <TD align=right> <TD> Johnny Thomson <TD align=middle> <TD> <TD> <TD align=right> <TD align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>