Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Bobby Marvin, Langhorne 4/63

Attached Files:

2. baldtireman

baldtireman

Hello,Mr Yost. Was a fan of yours as a youngster. Watched you run the 85 at Clinton,ans Heidelberg.Another friend made an aquaintance with you on the road. He was an over the road trucker named John Bain.Welcome aboard!:D

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Welcome Chuck, it was 1963 and here's some shots of interest:

Attached Files:

4. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Very nice cars.

5. Butch, Marvin was in the Wergland car, see #12408.
    mlight9

6. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

I stand corrected, Thanks

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A few weeks after Langhorne, the ex-Marvin/Wergland car at Hatfield with Hank Rogers up. Still rough but raceable.

Attached Files:

8. baldtireman

baldtireman

What was the Wergland sprinter before it was a sprint? :confused: John S.

9. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi John S,
    The Wergland car was the Hoover Motor Express champ car from the 50s. I remember Ed Terry and Bill Holland driving it in URC.

10. arundel30

arundel30

Here are the midgets my grandfather built in the late 40's and ran in the northeast. Would like to find out what happened to the cars. Is there any vintage activity in the northeast?

11. arundel30

arundel30

Not sure I got this right the first try.

Attached Files:

12. baldtireman

baldtireman

Thanks,Joe. Merry Christmas to everyone. Does anybody know what became of the "Central Excavating" champ car that became the Dick Cotterman#81,out of Oil city,Pa. in the Mid 1960's?I think it was a Kuczma built car! John S.

13. jakearoo92

jakearoo92
    from Indy

14. jakearoo92

jakearoo92
    from Indy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't mean to seperate my posts with these pictures. But this is my grandfather Roger Beck and just some of his work, him driving in the #22 midget, and Mickey Thompson's Challenger that he also worked on.

15. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Great pictures Jackearoo92 from Gardena to Bonneville, gotta be proud of your granfather!

16. Buildy

Buildy

I of course knew of Roger Beck from his car building abilities,but didn`t know he raced too.

17. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

[​IMG]

Did that #22 Midget run out of Beaumont CA in '57, '58?

18. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

Anybody know where the picture of the 22 in the pits was taken? Based on the sandy soil and the eucalyptus trees in the background, I'm gonna start the game by guessing either Carpinteria or Oxnard, both near the California coastline. Don't know if the midgets ever ran at Oxnard, it wasn't around as long as the Carpinteria Thunderbowl.

19. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Could be El Toro.

20. stock car mech

stock car mech

Roger Beck is a man that has seen everything and can do anything. Incredible talent and a wonderful person. Nothing but respect for that man. I got a t-shirt from Joey Saldana that commemorated his dad's Knoxville Nationals win and was tickled to see it was in a Roger Beck car.History is important and Roger Beck has been there, done that, in spades.

21. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Had lunch at Zakira's today. Clicked some shots with my phone. Not the best quality, but damn interesting!

1. The Locomobile Indy racer.

2. The Locomobile is under full restoration! I new this car had been found, and documented and I posted pictures of it on here when it very first came in.. Here it is now well underway!

3. The orange car is how the Locomobile was last together as a running race car.

4. History books tell us that there were TWO Miller 4WD's. One was found, and restored 15 years ago. The second was thought to have disappeared for ever... Not quite! Jim at Zakira's has assembled over the last 15 years an amazing amount of the second car (Harry's own) the red 4WD Miller. Here is the starts of it!!!

5. NEW TIRES FROM COKER!! These 6.00 x 20" tires are PERFECT!!! They represent a tire even rarer than the Indy roadster tires. If you are restoring a Miller or any pre 30's era indy car, these are a MUST!!!

6. A really cool RARE gasoline guage out of an old racer.. dated 1909

Attached Files:

22. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi John S,
    I believe the Central EX. Kuzma is owned by Jim Haag of Wisc. ? He also owns the Luptow black panther and Aggies 98jr.

23. Ebert

Ebert

Roger Beck IS the man...X2!

24. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

I bet a buc 2 eighty the Roger Beck pit picture is Carpinteria, Track was were old 7up plant was later built, there are eucalyptus trees still there that look the same. we built a illegal moto cross track there about 79-80 but cops would chase us out.

25. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Jakearoo - In the picture of the dirt car in post 12420 where the USAC guy is laying down the law, do you know who any of the people in the picture are?

I think I know two or three of them but am unsure of the others.

Also, did you work for Longhorn racing back in the day?

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  26. racer5c

racer5c

STOCK CAR MECH, I hope things are getting back to normal for you and your family, I read the posts on facebook everyday, it sounds like great progress is being made.

27. Sputter

Sputter
    from Peoria IL

Good morning all:
    My apologies if this is posted in the wrong section. I was doing some internet searches concerning my Father in Law Tom Custer who raced Sprint and various other types of cars over the years around the Burlington Iowa area as well as other states etc, and came across pictures here of him. Sadly he passed away on Dec 8th 2010 after a long battle with COPD. I knew Tom for the last 10 years and he was a great man and will be missed. I was looking for pictures, stories etc to share with his Wife which lead me to this page, does anyone know other places we might find history online?

Thank you in advance and again my apologies for hijacking the thread.

Victor

28. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Sputter: Welcome. No problem, you've came to the right place. Finding history on old racers is what this thread is all about. Sorry to hear of you loss. I'm sure these guys will help ya out. They amaze me daily!

Joshua Shaw

29. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

Sorry to here about Tom we raced I .M. C. A. with him , thats when I, owend the old cenral ex. car that was Aggys 97 and 98 car and cut to sprint car size when I, got it . RIP tom

30. KKx125

KKx125

Gi Day ,Mate, That was my brother you spoke with,I got talking to some of those midget & sprint guys to do some bench racing which turned into an INDY 500,not many pit stops. We both stayed on into saturday night & enjoyed some great food & Hospitality. What a great bunch of people.God bless Walt James THANKS, Gordon & Peter