Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Himee, thanks for the info, your dad did a stellar job restoring the car. Now all you need is a old Chevy truck with a air horn and a enclosed trailer and you'll have the complete set. :)

Attached Files:

• ct3.jpg
      ct3.jpg
      File size:
      32.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Himee

Himee
    from Wisconsin

My Dad's looking for the trailer, so if anyone know's where it is he would be interested in it. The chevy is the easy part.

3. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Thanks Himee,
    If it is ok with you I'd like to put this info with the car photo in my photobucket Millers at Milwuakee Album?
    http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af233/carl44s/Millers at Milwaukee Mile 2010/

see you next July

4. Himee

Himee
    from Wisconsin

5. ZOOOM

ZOOOM

Anybody know what times for Don Smith's show on Saturday?
    ZOOOM

6. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I could build ya that trailer... If your interested. ;)

Also, Who did the restoration? It's an Excellent job!!!

Thanks for sharing the info!

J Shaw

7. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

For Josh Re KK 2000,
    I think I relayed this to you when the first mention came up of the KK2000 about a year ago , but it was by PM so it didnt go out into this forum at the time as you were still researching.
    The ID tag with the "B " prefix is very interesting .
    I have a Shilala sprinter here and as most of you would know , George Shilala was the shop foreman for Frank Kurtis.
    It is a "B" prefix chassis number car , albiet built after the KK2000 , but something to ponder .
    I asked Van at Vancraft what he knew of this and his answer was that George kept a "Black Book" with his own code in it as to which employee welded the frame of or components (axles etc) of each car so that if there were any comebacks for failures he knew which guy's chain to go and rattle.
    This is certainly a feature of the cars built by George after his time with Frank .
    Could it have been started earlier ??
    Wiser heads than mine might know.
    Any thoughts??
    Cheers Greg

8. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Ah Yes! I remeber our discussion on that. Thank you for reminding me. Very possible.

J Shaw

9. Himee

Himee
    from Wisconsin

October 15, 2010
    Josh:
    Bob Boyce bought the remains of the “City of Tacoma” 20 years ago. During the interim he collected the parts including the Kinmont brakes and Sparks engine as well as many other rare parts. ‘[he finished car is very correct to the 1948 Indy 500 appearance. Jim Mann did the fabrication. Johnny Riemer did the body and paint. The Chrome Shop in Mcnasha. WI did all the chrome plating. John Shepard of Kenosha. WI did the hand lettering Matt Pichelman of Racine, WI did more fabrication as well as final assembly. The Sparks was rebuilt by Steve Truchen of Gary, Indiana..
    I’d like to find the original trailer if it still exists. Failing that we’ll talk.

10. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

10:00AM to 4:00PM.

11. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Off to run the Don Thomas roadster sprint car at Hanford Ca,3/8th dirt, Sat nite,. I am going to run with the hardtop guys. I have put on the cage and wing. Back in the day Thomas ran the car as a sprint car, modified with the cage,and as supermodified with the wing.

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Josh, you may already have this, but in the 3/97 OW mag. there is a Terry Reed penned accounting of the Rex Mays crash of 49. By this account the car (or whats left of it) in your possession would have the dubious distinction of being the car that ran over and killed Rex Mays.

Attached Files:

• pw1.jpg
      pw1.jpg
      File size:
      266.2 KB
      Views:
    • pw2.jpg
      pw2.jpg
      File size:
      428.5 KB
      Views:
    • pw3.jpg
      pw3.jpg
      File size:
      144.3 KB
      Views:
  13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A few more shots of George Hammond winning the 52 PP Hillclimb in the Dobry #63.

Attached Files:

14. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

1986 Williams Grove Speedway WGOT convention. enjoy! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Thanks Lee......excellent photo's................................:D

16. cspicer

cspicer

great site........ it gives me a relaxing time to view historical sprint car photos.... really good stuff

17. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Yeah... It's just part of it. It comes with a lot of these old race cars. :cool:

18. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

The black#3 sprint is the former Sweikert, Gutzweiler, Beseker car now in my barn. The gent who cleaned up this car added a bar up 4`` in the cockpit. I have a nice fresh 220 Offy to put in it.

19. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Steve, how did it go at Cotton Classic with the vintage supers? Wanted to run with you guys but already told a buddy that I would help him at Formosas Hot Rod Reunion, Don't know if you saw the pictures of your Don Tomas car in supermodified trim at Tulare posted on Bakerracingpics.com some other good pictures as well. Jack said you guys might run Tulare Nov. 13th, if i do not go to PIR for my nephue's race I will run with you guys, Will be at the Walt Jame's classic for sure, hope you make that one, always a good time, if you have some good shots of the car post them on hambsupermodifieds, Pat

20. the shadow

the shadow

was at a local track last night (grandview in PA) watching ardc midgets & sprinters run and came up with a question for you historians.
    who was the first racer or team to run a large style wing (as we see it today) on there sprint car? My brother in law asked me why it is shaped the way it is and who would have thought of that configuration...did someone use a wind tunnel to test the design or keep trying different wings till they ended up with the current one?

Paul

21. jsproctor

jsproctor

FYI, the first 3 issues (first year) of Open Wheel Magazine are on Ebay

22. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Orville and Wilbur probably thought of that configuration.:rolleyes: Just a upside down airplane wing. What keeps a airplane up, then, keeps a race car down.

Attached Files:

23. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

From this weekend's car show in Lakeland, FL. A 1958 Watson sprint car. 86" WB, 220 Offy. I liked everything about it, from the small size to the paint job. I swear, the oval track racers had the BEST paint jobs! Gary

Attached Files:

24. the shadow

the shadow

I understand the traditional wing aerodynamics related to an airfoil shape but modern sprint wings are flat with the vettical spill plates on the sides?

25. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

I don't think they are flat (they may look flat) they are an airfoil mounted so as to provide negative lift or down force. Denny Z

26. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

The Tops have been made flat by certain organization (Allstars being one of them) MANDATORY to try to slow the cars down and reduce Downforce and bite a bit. They were at Lawrenceburg last Sat. night and this was being discussed. It knida didn't work because all the racers just put them at a steeper angle and went on HAULING ASS! Look at a Sprint car of the last season or so and compare it to one 5 years ago. BIG DIFFEREANCE in Wing angle.

On a side note, the vertical side panels do JUST AS MUCH, IF NOT MORE to make winged Sprint cars fast that the Center flat area. The Size of the sides down to the Square Centimeter are watched and checked VERY CAREFULLY!

J Shaw

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Wings, Schmings, we don't need no steeenkin wings!

Attached Files:

28. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Thanks for sharing the pics...
    600 pages outstanding!:)
    PK

29. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Here's what I've dug up of Buck Buckley so far, 1977 Lincoln Speedway, Abbottstown PA. enjoy! :D

[​IMG]

30. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Pat
    The night went great as the car came home in good shape. The track was fine down low but like a plowed field middle and top. We had 14 or 15 modifideds and one Edmonds sprinter, driven by Leroy Van Conett. I was put in the slow heat out side front row, so I am thinking here we go. Well they watered the track down so now we had a muddy plowed field on the outside. The car on the pole was the Joe Lobbia modified and last time out I lapped that car. We lined up and not knowing what the outside would be like I hoped to drop down by the first turn and lead. Well, Down for the green and I had my pants down and off he went. I drop in behind, I can't pass him and I was going as fast as I wanted too. Lap after lap and about one to five car lengthes behind. Late in the race my brakes starting binding up so two other cars got by. Back to the pits and the rearend is so tight the wheels won't turn. I am ready to load up but the brakes cooled And the car was OK. I walked over to the to talk to the guy I couldn't pass, he is in his street clothes so I ask who's driving the car, he pointed to a tall man in a black fire suit with white hair, I was racing and couldn't pass Howard Kaeding. What a night.