Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Eerie is probably an understatement, especially for you.

2. re post #11460, just checked '73, '74, '75 URC Yrbks, driver in red & white
    suit next to Shaw's # 3, Bill Wentz Sr. Wynn's, yes or no.
    mlight9.

3. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Mlight9,
    Regarding the photo, extreme left with red cap is Jim Shaw, driver is Eddie Gallione (our driver that day) and my dad with blue cap and rag in pocket. In the backround is the Krisiloff Ron Ward car, formally the Nesler Spl. Are you going to the convention next week? My commitment with the midget will prevent me from going, but hope to go to Winchester with Sprinter2 and Hopkins1.
    Denny Z., Sept. 1 is fine, stay in touch

4. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Fired both these girls tonight. They performed perfect. Ex-Sprint car driver MIKE BOWLING and I made some HARD laps sideways around a big parking lot tuning them in.

They BOTH will be ready for Winchester in Two weeks.

J Shaw

Attached Files:

5. Lumpy95

Lumpy95

I’m not sure how to use this yet but I should here goes………
    Hey you guys this thread really brings back memories I’m only on page 325 and I feel like I’m young again, popping beer cups under the stands at the Oakland indoors I have a lot of sprint car photos of my dad in the 30s 40s ARDC and 50to70 BCRA I might know some of you also. With the avatars and usernames this is fun.I wish you guys were here With all the good advice when I was young dumb and full of hummm ambition. I need to scan some good stuff that has not been on the thread yet lots of good 30s and early 40s
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

6. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Lumpy.

Got any Bob Cortner ('57 BCRA Champ.) or Don Radbruch photos? Bob was a hometown hero of mine and Don was a long time E-mail friend. Love to see them both on this thread.

Mike.

7. Lumpy95

Lumpy95

I probably do I need to look through my stuff about 6 albums with pictures stuck to the pages makes it hard to read the backs…

8. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Welcome Lumpy95.

Look forward to seeing your pics and hearing your stories!

J Shaw

9. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Me too...:)
    PK

10. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Where is Steve Koletar from PA.? Maby some one can help me? I am hunting photos taken by Tracy Talley he took photos back in the day the car was running. But he sold his photo collection to Jim Chini in 1987. I got a hold of Jim Chini and he told me he sold the Tracy`s collection to Steve Koletar from PA. a few years ago. I cant seem to get in contact with Steve Koletar. Maby you or someone in the photo busniss you know can help me track him down?I had one person tell me he thinks he is still in pennsylvania but haven`t talked to him in a while. If you could help I would be greatfull. Thanks,Tom ([email protected])

11. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

Sad to report but, Tommy Dickson - URC champ and brother to Larry Dickson-USAC champ, has been fighting cancer for years now and has just come from the hosp. for the umpteenth time. He has decided to forgo any more chemo and go home to stay. He spent alot of time in the family Trevis-Zero Spl., #99 Charley Brown and Marsh car when he lost an eye at Eldora. He raced clean and fast. It would be so nice if anyone that seen him race or knew him would send him a card just to let him know he has not been forgotten. I've known Tom for 40+ yrs. and you couldn't meet a nicer guy. Tom @945 Gilman Ave Marietta Ohio 45750

12. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

13. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Sorry to hear that news . I will be sending A card. It was befor my time but, A racer is A racer!!!

14. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Card sent. Didn't know Tommy but I know Larry and if Tommy was only half as good a racer as Larry.....that would make Tommy one heck of a good race car driver.
    Sorry for your health issues Tommy, our prayers are with you. Denny Z

15. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

This HAMB is the greatest thing going with the best people ever. Most of us are old racers and if you knew the checkered was the next lap, How good would it make you feel to get cards from all over this great country just to say Hi and we're thinking of you? I'm going to Marietta this weekend and I hope I find him covered up with mail.
    Back in the day there was a man named Harry that took me under his wing and helped me my whole life. When the end was close, I got the chance to thank him for all the help he gave me. Harry told his son before he died, that our last meeting meant more to him than he could say.
    Take a couple minutes and say Hi. You'll feel good and good guy will feel better.
    Spl. thanks to Denny Z, you set bar for everyone.

16. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Both cars are looking great, can't wait to see them and all the other hamb cars at Winchester. Hope to have mine there next year.

Starting to plan the finish on my midget. Have you or anybody else here had any parts on your sprinters Gold iridite or cadmium plated. Would like that factory gold finish on torsion stops, rear axle, torque tube ect. and was wondering if any body locally did it. Might be able to duplicate that look with powder coat.

17. Speaking of Winchester....It's only about 10 days until the Winchester Old Timers day on August 22, 2010. Sunday will have the USAC sprints and Vintage race cars on display and about half of the vintage cars making parade laps on the high banks. Their will be limited activities on Saturday and a Bristol party Saturday night ( for those of you who want to watch cars with fenders...) in the Pavilion. Anyone wanting to bring a vintage car on Saturday is welcome, but track time is uncertain that day? Anyone bringing a vintage car will be provided (2) free pit passes.
    Info can be seen at:
    www.winchesterot.com

Or PM me here.
    HG :cool:
    aka Gene Ingram
    Chairman, Winchester Old Timers

18. Troy Ruth

Troy Ruth

Just wanted to say this has got to be the coolest thing going on the internet ! My father told me about this thread many months ago and I have been following it since. Although I was born in 1964 I have long been fascinated with the drivers , cars , and tracks beyond my years.

19. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Steve Koltar lives in Reading Pa. I saw him the other week at the ARDC Midget and USAC wingless sprints at Grandview. I misplaced his phone number, but Jim Chinni will have it if he sees this post. If I see Steve this weekend I`ll get his number and pm it to you.
    Stan.............

20. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Steve, Glad to hear so many old supers are running with you guys, I need to come run with you guys, kinda like the dirt over pavement though, I know you have ran the Walt James deal over Thanksgiving weekend, do you think you could get some of these guys to come on down for that one, track is fun and Camps sports bar is good to! Pat #97

21. Got a pic of your car?

22. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

I have mostly finished my midget and much of it is yellow zinc chromated. This is the finish on grade 8 hardware. I'm told it is nine times more corrosion resistant than the white zinc chromate that is on lesser grades of hardware.

Here is what is (was) yellow. The entire frame, (for some reason the chrome moly frame turned to a cadmium color look, as did the torque tube, they look super!) the old backing plates, pedals, steering arms, shock absorbers and links, panhard rod, rear spring U bolts.

Some of the pieces I plated, I then painted over, with a 316 pigmented stainless steel paint. Those parts are the front axle, pitman arms, rear axle housings (closed tube rear) outside brake lever, master cylinder mounting brackets.

The idea was to minimize the chrome (bumpers, radius rods with nerfs, draglinks, all tie rod ends, header and tail pipe. The car is a runner, not a trailer queen and the only paint on the body is the number.

Who was it that said... "There's a huge difference between building a race car and decorating one!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

The cost of the zinc chromate plating was just over $200. The acid bath kills rust on old parts that is inaccessable. My chrome cost was 5 times that.

23. jandj

jandj

24. Buildy

Buildy

Old Bill,

I`m little late,as I was away on Vacation.

I want to thank you for the info on Jerry Karl`s #59! I couldn`t remember the USAC shows they tried with the car.

My Dad told me they never got the brake system right on that car,but years later when I asked Jerry he didn`t remember that. He said they were just barely missing the cut in TTs at the USAC shows.

Car #59 was named after my Aunt Linda.

Jerry said it was a Trevis,but it sure does look like an Edmunds,maybe he forgot,and it was an Edmunds??
    Possibly he said Trevis because the TQ they built was a Trevis.

"Buildy: I had thought that the car was from a Edmunds kit. It raced with USAC four times in 1968, Reading March 31, Eldora, Heidelberg and Reading again in April. Didn't make the heats any time. Pretty car though. "Linda Lee Special." "

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  25. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Heres a few more from the indy mile....Rich

Attached Files:

26. Troy Ruth

Troy Ruth

Rich, your pics are great please keep them coming whenever you can.Do you have any more URC from Flemington or anywhere for that matter? I keep looking for my Dad (Spike) or uncle Dick Ruth. No matter where they are from your photo's are a treasure.

27. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Troy,Thanks, any early 60's,70's USAC and URC stuff I posted a while back,somewhere between page 455 and here.these shots here are from Indy in 78. the last sprint shots I took were of Tobias's fatal crash that occured in front of my lens, seeing, watching a friend of the family and catching his death on film made me take a little time off and didn't start shooting sprints again til the late 80's ....Rich

28. Troy Ruth

Troy Ruth

Rich, I know what you mean, Toby's car stopped right in front of us and I dont think I was in touch with what had just happened although Dad knew. The whole moment was just surreal people were yelling at Ace who was taking pictures after (as I understand it his job for the state) and people in shock and disbelief it was alot to understand for a 14 year old. That is one memory that I do not believe will ever leave my mind no matter how old I get.

29. Offy 220

Offy 220

Thanks everyone for your input and help. The Watson / Foyt sprint car was sold this evening at the RM Auction in Monterey. The car is going to a good home on the East Coast.

30. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Would the new owner be Haines/