Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Here's a few more from the lost cd collection.....Rich

Attached Files:

2. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Here's the last of the lost CD episodes, they're from Mario's 500 victory parade.....Rich

Attached Files:

3. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Rabs,
    Do you know which car that blue roadster is? I restored the Bogar 90 in your photo last year for Hopkins 1. Maybe it will be at a show soon.

4. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

Check the cage location on Scatsies car. When my dad flipped at Williams Grove the cage flexed in and broke his right hand.

5. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

[​IMG] Well how cool is this ? Ray Smith, Greg Weld and me (Butch Evans) in the white hat. Sadly I'm the only one left upright.

6. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

Give Speedwrench a Kupie Doll on Cint Brawner and w. Coil's car.

7. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

WYNNS1,Really have no clue on whose car it was, My uncle took these shot and my father was riding in the Speed Sport News car, I was only 9 when they had the parade for Mario's win and in between then and now I did a lot of partying and burned up a few brain cells in the memory bank.while I was looking for some old Funny car shot I saw the rest of the negative from the parade and as soon as I remember where I put them I'll post them and maybe there might be some more that can help with I'ding the car unless some other knowledgable person here can help....Rich

8. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

A bit more info on this car.
    Brawner had this car built for Mario in '64.... I believe Ed Kuzma was the actual builder.
    When Al Dean found out about the car he said that he didn't want Mario driving anymore sprint cars and stopped the project.
    The car sat unfinished for a couple of years before coming to Indy in '66 or '67, to be finished at Vancraft's shop for Willard Coil.
    The car featured half bar suspension. The car was an average performer during its USAC days. Don't know where it is now ....if it still exists.

9. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

As I remember the 1/2 bars didn't work that well on dirt but it was good on pavement. I think Trevis built a 1/2 bar car for Venizia/Dickson about the same time with the same results.

10. Mathias65

Mathias65
    from Australia

Some pics i found in a box.

Attached Files:

11. jimg12

jimg12

I think Gary B. won a USAC feature in Coil's car,maybe two. Coil owned the midget that Kenyon won his first USAC championship in, I think it was built by Watson.
    Jim Graybeal

12. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

As far as I know only Jerry Poland and Tom Bigelow won in the Coil, each of them two times.

13. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I may be mistaken, but I thought that Wreckaford also won in Coil's car.

14. Dave Exner

Dave Exner

I would love to purchase two copies of this photo. My son and I enjoyed it. I remember seeing Chuck Booth race in the 50's. I went to Trenton Speedway, Langhorne, Reading, Hatfield (when it was dirt) and my favorite track, Williams Grove and I take a 142 mile each way every Friday to watch the 410 winged spinters.

The photo is on page 315 of Vintage Sprint Cars and is Chuck Booth and Photographers exchanging giving the finger as Chuck drives past them.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  15. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

All of the photos are not of the same car. I have the badger1 in my barn. The photo of the car with the scoop on it johnny parsons is driving. bob lockards first badger. he ran it from 1975 until late 70s. the other photos are from his badger III? I know he ran the badgers I, II, III. I watched all of lockards badgers win many races. lockard cars were always fast glad i got to watch them run.

16. racer5c

racer5c

My computer is down posting this from my phone so I can't add the pictures I had planned on, but 20 years ago today one of the best to ever strap on a helmet got killed at Salem, I still miss ya Rich

17. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Here's a few pics for ya Roy. I was 14. Can't believe it's been 20 years..

It's an Honor to say I saw him race.

Attached Files:

• vv9.jpg
      vv9.jpg
      File size:
      354.6 KB
      Views:
    • vv8.jpg
      vv8.jpg
      File size:
      148.1 KB
      Views:
    • vv18.jpg
      vv18.jpg
      File size:
      423.6 KB
      Views:
    • vv11.jpg
      vv11.jpg
      File size:
      309.6 KB
      Views:
  18. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey Roy,I got this one for you from the silver crown race at flemington....Rich

Attached Files:

19. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Roy also found a shot of Willie for ya!....Rich

Attached Files:

20. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I think the person exchanging pleasentries with Sidebite was not a photographer, but rather Wally Meskowski.

21. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Amen, Roy. One of the best I ever had the pleasure of watching, or knowing. He was a good friend as well. I also have trouble believing that was twenty years ago.

22. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Same here, seems like yesterday. We still talk about him often.

23. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Found this shot while uploading some old indy car shot from trenton in 69 according to the info on the proof sheets....Rich

Attached Files:

24. Racer12

Racer12

I sure do miss seeing maddog race! Rich was my #1 hero when I was a kid, I had not only the pleasure of seeing him race but met him many times at IRP. A class act that went out of his way to talk to some random kid at the races. I will always miss seeing him get 100% out of a car every lap every corner!!!

Bob Shutt

25. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Bob, there was so much he could do with a race car. On one of those Thursday nights at the Speedrome when he had to start at the rear because of points, I thought he was caught in traffic, actually boxed in, twice. Each time he made a move that made somebody else move and got out of it. He went on to win that race.

The next day Roger McCluskey came into my office at IRP while Rich and I were talking, and said, "That was something to see last night. They had a net thrown over you twice, and you got away each time."

Another time, for a 50-lapper at the Speedrome, he was starting farther up in a 30-car field. There were something like twelve cars behind him who didn't have any points at all. Dick Jordan of USAC asked me to help him score it, and said, "Don't try to do the whole field, just take from Vogler on back."

I pointed out that chances were pretty high that in about 20 laps I'd be scoring the whole thing. Sure enough...

26. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

For RABs 32. Hey Rich ,can I purchase a hard copy of your shot in post #11350??
    Please PM me at [email protected].
    The car on the extreme right is the Curtis Auto Center Special bought by me last year after a tip off from Carroll (Blackie Suede) and now nearing completion of its restoration in my shop with help from Mathias 65 (His avatar is one of its wheels).
    The car is coming up well and only shows minor damage from its three documented crashes, the Rex Mays , Milwaukee ,and IRP.
    We are restoring it in its original bronze colour , not fancying it's later (Bad Luck) lime green when it ran as The National Boatlift Special .I will post some progress photos even though it is a champ car not a sprint car ,it is 1967, doesn't have a cage, and I hope not too far OT
    Cheers Greg

27. racer5c

racer5c

The first time Rich drove my dad's Midget was at winchester, the day before Ron Shuman drove the car also at Winchester, he started on the ffront row of the feature and was running last in a very short time, my dad was still running for the championship (which he won) and made a drastic move and pulled Shuman out of the car "just for the day" Rich Drove the car the next day, we didn't turn one torsion stop bolt, didn't change one shock NOTHING, he set an all time WORLD 1/2 MILE TRACK RECORD for Midgets, went on to lead the race until the very last lap he came on a lapped car, he went low, J.P. in the Badger Roadster went high, the lapped car went low and Parsons got by Rich, I was standing in 3 and 4 watching the car to tell my dad what it was doing during qualifying, you all know Winchester, still had the armco fence then anyway Rich runs into 3 NEVER lifted!!! not even a burp on the throttleI thought he was going to go out of the ballpark. That is one day I will NEVER forget I might also add that MANY people came up to me, some names you might know some you might not but guys like Dana Carter, Sleepy Tripp, Jeff Haywood, and a lot of others and asked me if my dad had gone crazy to put that wildman in his car, well I will tell you this, maybe with the exception of Tommy Astone Rich hurt our cars less than anyone who ever drove them. I'm proud that Rich's first USAC Championship was in our car. Oh and Bobby, my mom is the one who named him maddog, come see the hood I have off the first car he drove for us where she painted it on the side.

28. racer5c

racer5c

it was at least 125%

29. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

While it's later than '69; I thought you might enjoy this image of Joe Saldana backin' it in at the Nazareth mile around 1982 in his champ car.

Attached Files:

30. RIM_RYDER

RIM_RYDER

My dad and I were at Orange Show when Don took it out for a little test drive.

Here is another of Don's cars that is still around. Got to see this car in Don's shop while still being fabricated. Independent suspension, inboard brakes. Kinda odd for a Midget but grows on you after a while.

Attached Files: