Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Hey Josh, I don't know what to say - that is as good as it gets! Let me know if you are gonna get that back on a track around here, I would love to see it in motion.

Will Kimble

2. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey guys, haven't posted any shots in a while and came across these while cleaning out some of the folders and burning all the misplaced shots on the right cds so heres a few.....Rich

Attached Files:

3. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

A Few More. Oh yeah Josh The car look great at home on the dirt....Rich

Attached Files:

4. Josh,that Ellison car looks even better moving...nice one mate.

5. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Rabs32, Good shot of Larry Dixon...in my opinion one of the best all around sprint car drivers ever, always up front almost never in trouble. Denny Z

6. racer5c

racer5c

I liked the pictures of Willie Davis!

7. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

8. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

John,
    I think the Rasmussen roadster ran mostly in the midwest. Drivers could have been: Oscar Fay, Billy Joe Haves(photos) Jim Welch, Floyd Eddy Bobby Blount, Rich Lemming Red Jones, owners: Eldon, Havens, Jim Welch, Jim Mann, Harold "Red" Jones. If any of you know any of these people please let me know.
    Steve

Attached Files:

9. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Gonna finish up the Syracuse leftovers..... Rich

Attached Files:

10. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Second helping....

Attached Files:

11. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Steve....I know Eldon does that count?

RABs32...neat pictures.

Denny Z

12. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

REMINDER TO LONG ISLANDERS.

This weekend is the show at the Historic Hallockville Farm in Mattituck (NY).

Vintage / Historic race cars .. racing people from both today & from days gone by .. vintage trucks .. all kinds of vintage industrial engines .. vintage farm equipment .. tractor pull competitions with real working farm tractors (TRULY AMAZING what they can pull) .. good food at the concession stand .. and MORE .... all set in one of the most beautiful parts of Long Island (if not the country) that you can find.

To me racing is not only about the cars & races .. but even more so about the wonderful people involved. Last year I REALLY ENJOYED this show, as I was able to renew aquaintances & friendships with a lot of GRRREAT people (both racers & fans) that I hadn't seen in years.

Last year admission was a mere $5.00 (for an adult). It's a FUN way top spend a day ... even with the family.

The show is both Saturday & Sunday. My old & wobbly legs .. plus the weather ... permitting I hope to spend Sunday afternoon there myself.

I HOPE to see YOU there!!!!
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  13. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Two questions. Who was in the 47? RIP Glenn Niebel. And is the 14 Willard Coil's car?

I couldn't get the picture of the 14 car to open on the first few tries. After it finally did it answered my question.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  14. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

I think that's Johnny Rutherford in the 47. Denny Z

15. RABS, great pix, more, more, more. I don't know who did the metal work on the COIL car, but it sure ranks up there with the Cheesman & Meskowski/Leffler cars.
    The tail/tank shape was fab.
    mlight9

16. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Ditto !!!!!

17. Buildy

Buildy

Agreed, the Tinglestad photo is excellent. Would love to see photos of that car in action.

18. Re post #11307, pic #4, who are they?? They look familiar but just
    can't place names on them.
    mlight9.

19. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I'm not sure who built the car but it seems I remember hearing that it was built for Mario to drive right after he started driving for Dean Van Lines and that Clint Brawner had a hand in the construction.

20. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Here's a few more from the lost and found cd.....Rich

Attached Files:

21. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

some more......

Attached Files:

22. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Pro-Mac;
    It is a Gertler Sprint, built by my father. (I'm 100 % positive). If you send me some better hotos, I'll send you some when it was first built, before it was finished. I have a website with all contact info, and about 400 vintage race car photos of cars my father built or restored. My dad, Joe Gertler Sr./Raceway Garage in Bronx,NY, built some 200 cars (midgets. sprints, customs, sports racers, race boats, exotic showcars)when they were new/contemporary (1938-mid 1960s). Later in 73-90 period we built another whole batch of pre-WII style sprints & midgets, the same as he had built them back in the old days, and restored a whole bunch of (mostly pre-War)original sprints & midgets too.
    Contact info on my website :
    www.memaerobilia.com

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
    Deuce-Deano likes this.
  23. RABs pics are KILLER!...

TH

24. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

RABs Amazing photos, I think these personal and family photos are what make this sit so great, thanks to all. Here I go again, now I can post photos! Here is the Thomas roadster as found and striped down in my shop. Again I an trying to find out where the car was from 1970 to 1977 In thr Pacific Northwest. Someone should have seen it with that nose. Thomas though it was painted red and black the last time he saw it, well maybe black and orange as I found it.

Attached Files:

25. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi RABS32,
    Thanks so much for sharing your photos. The black Indy roadster was at Flemington and driven by Dick Swartzlander. I remember how high in the air he was. The red 93, I believe was Jim Barclays CAE car possibly driven by Don Kreitz SR. Thanks for the memories!

26. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey Guy's ,Thanks for the kind words. Was just rumaging down in the basement looking for parts for my old harley and came across a box And found a couple of negatives and uploaded them really quick and figured Id share with you ,sorry for the scratches but haven't got a photo shop set up yet to clean them up,,,Have A great Weekend.....Rich

Attached Files:

27. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

I am guessing Lennie Waldo and Al Smith... ???

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

That's definitely Smith on the right and I agree, that does look like Waldo on the left.

Attached Files:

• as2.jpg
      as2.jpg
      File size:
      70.5 KB
      Views:
  29. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

May be a little O.T., but anybody else notice those cars in the background in pics 4&5 of RABs post #11318, apparently lined up for a post-race demo derby, and wonder what they'd be worth today? The things we used to throw away...

30. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

Nice pictures Rich These are the 3/4 miler at Pocono.