Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I recall, back in the 70s, there being somewhat of a controversy about builders using non-COND/N tubing resulting in cars coming apart. Don't know if it was intentional or by mistake but it was kind of a 'back east' deal and I never heard much more about it. (?)

2. Buildy

Buildy

I just got them off of e-bay. Didn`t know they were yours.

Someone had them for sale on there.

3. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I don't think it was confined strictly to the East.

Ask some of the midwest guys who had the cages come off their early production Oz cars ( although there was also a design error that came into play in that area) or the ones who had the lower rails split.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  4. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

My good friend Don Edmonds here in Oregon still has one of his sprint cars in his upstairs trophy room along with a fabulas collection of model air and car engines. Don still gets down to the shop to build his model aluminum race cars. A very nice guy. Lauren Porsch :)

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The midwest is 'back east' in Colo. :D

6. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Point well taken.

7. Buildy

Buildy

"My good friend Don Edmonds here in Oregon still has one of his sprint cars in his upstairs trophy room along with a fabulas collection of model air and car engines. Don still gets down to the shop to build his model aluminum race cars. A very nice guy."

Don is an artist in metal-full size or scale Model.

8. cg5

cg5

There were several cars out of that time period here in the mid west ( Mo Kan Iowa Neb) had cages fall off durning that time period also. I was involved in a crash with Ralph Blackett at the Mo State Fair, His first time over cage came off. The upright that the left radius rod mounted to came out landed in my car. Still have that piece looks shattered instead of torn at the points of breakage.

Curt Grogan

9. racer5c

racer5c

Don Edmunds is one of the most talented people who has ever lived

10. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'I always like to take any opportunity I can to praise Don Edmunds as an engineer, a legendary car builder and even as a driver, as Rookie Of The Year at Indianapolis. He pretty much did it all. It seemed Don implemented all the best and favorite qualities of all builders preceding him. But, most of them were ideas that were his own. Still, it might not seem like much but his incorporating cloth with vinyl/leather in his upholstery stands out as something that added both beauty and comfort. And, the lines on the midgets were damn near identical to his lines on the sprinters and champ dirt cars. I've said the same thing many times before: Frank Kurtis might have been thought of as the Father of the midgets and their production but Don Edmunds was THE MAN.

note: Lauren Porsch, please go back and edit your post before your good friend, Don Edmunds sees you spelled his name wrong.........J/T!

11. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I got a Milk crate full of pictures from Tri-County speedway here in Cincinnati. There are hundreds! I can't wait to go through them. Mostly stock cars, but a some open wheel. I only went through the first INCH of the pile and ran across a dozen or more of these Jimmy Caruthers hand outs.

Dad and I are gonna keep two, and the rest go to you Roy. ;)

[​IMG]

12. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Is that Suzy Grim with Jimmy in the lower photo?

13. chrissmith19

chrissmith19
    from cincy

post 10310

rich, bottom right pic. the middle car (#9) is greg leffler in my granny's car. if this pic is at flemington this was our last race ever. maude smith had many good driver's and many wins over her career as an owner.

14. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Yes, It's Flemington,and heres a couple more shots for you and your family....Rich

Attached Files:

15. racer5c

racer5c

Nope, not Suzy, that's Sally, Jimmy was married to herat the time, and they had a son together,

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  16. racer5c

racer5c

Wow Josh, thanks!!

17. NED FRY

NED FRY
    from iowa

I had a cage come of at Knox in the early 1980s. The tubing tore--but none of the welds broke. I was told that the early CM tubing was not anneled(ms) enough and could break after welding. It kept me out of a ride for a year-but being dumb ----went right back at it :eek:) LOL

18. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

This is an Edmonds car with a bolt on cage around 1969-70.

[​IMG]

19. Buildy

Buildy

20. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

That car belonged to one of the Smiths from Scranton, PA. I believe it was a CAE Chassis

21. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

It was my old friend Bob Shaw in Harold Hanks #4. Opperman got the ride for a time after Bob was injured in a midget.

22. Buildy

Buildy

Al any idea who might have been in the #29 photo I posted a link to.

The cage looked like it was made of Tinkertoys-LOL

Luckily the driver survived.

I think I was there the day Bob Shaw wrecked. Scary wreck!

23. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

OMG.:eek:

What the heck was he doing up there?

24. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

I have over the past few years been able to follow the history of my Don Thomas sprint roadster, but I don't know where it was from 1970 to around 1977. In 1970 Don told me that He and the new owner Randy Gunnerson took the sprinter, now painted red and black numbered 48, to Washington state possibly Seattle. They traded the former Thomas car for a wrecked Shrike Indy car and maybe a midget. Around 1977 it shows up in Nampa, Idaho with new owner Bill Hindrickson, it is now orange and black with no number. I think during this time (70 to 77) the Buick nailhead, front end are gone. also during this time a Watson type nose is put on the sprinter. There are photos of the car as I got it with the nose on my website stevebonesteel.com. I know there are lots of you reading this thread so if you remember anything please email me [email protected].
    Thanks

25. wynns #1

wynns #1

Is there any chance that Bob Shaw is flipping Jimmy Shaws car? The cage looks like his. ???

26. racer5c

racer5c

27. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Oooops...

28. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Al,
    I believe this is the same car. Bob showed me several pictures of that flip. I belive he was going into the 1st turn when it happened. Nasty.
    [​IMG]

29. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

It could be the same car, but I think Hank had 2 cars, a black one and a blue one. The car was black in the accident shot.