Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

There is still some racing teams coming out of Mitchell, is'nt there Roy? I don't know his name off hand, but isn't there a guy down there building Midgets that took like.. FIVE cars to the chili bowl? (the fab shop I buy metal from has a worker that says he goes down there once a week and helps..) Maybe That guy in Mitchell would have something...

Do you know this guy Roy...

2. jmcintosh

jmcintosh

my son lives in mitchell an my grandaughter drives a sprint car. he doesn't know of any pics. that doesn't mean that there aren't any though. so any help would be welcome.

3. 4speedman

4speedman

cool pics guys thanks

4. Columbus_WEB.jpg This is Dizz Wilsons sprint car.
    a winner of 300 races
    This was taken at a Vintage show in
    Columbus Ind. a couple of years ago.
    I think the Vintage show is coming up this
    month---anyone know the date?
    This would be the place to talk race tracks in Mitchell, and let corngrower buy us a hot dog.

5. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Find out the date and I may even toss in a Coke...

6. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Post the dates on here.. and consider it done. This weekend there is a vintage event around Dayton Ohio but I have to go to Detroit.. Dads Sprinter will be there if any of you are going.. look me up.

7. '08 Oldtimers Flier.jpg
    ummm a corngrower dog and a Irs30 soda pop!

8. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Sounds good Speedwagen..

Well, dads sprinter is finally TOTALLY done. Here are some pics of it with all the chrome , lettering, and the seat done.

Dad has ran two tanks of gas through it already!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That Kart hanging on the wall was my main ride growing up. It holds THREE track championships and dozens of feature wins. It was last raced in 1994. Good place for it:D
    [​IMG]

JD

9. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

This appears to be a clone of the famed "Blitzen Benz" driven by several drivers over its career. Bob Burman drove it at Indy after Barney Oldfield set the Land Speed Record at 131.275 on the sands of Daytona in 1910. Then Terrible Teddy Teztlaff reset the record on the salt, after coming in 2nd at Indy.

10. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Excellent explination.. but, How can ya tell its a clone. (might be as simple as you know where the real one is or there is no real one) I was just wondering.. I know to well that clones can be DEAD ON!!
    I was just wanting more info. Neat car, I see its on the poster on the wall in the background!

JD

11. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Benz built 6 of these, 2 are left. One is in the Mercedes-Benz museum in Germany (Stuttgart?), and one is owned by a well-heeled European collector.
    Benz has given its blessings to the clone built by an American enthusiast, and even provided some parts to complete the replicar.

Just a guess - but this is the one belonging to the American.

12. racer5c

racer5c

Columbus March 22nd

Indy Bench Racers Weekend
    March 14th and 15th,
    This is a do not miss event!!! Greg Weld will be the special guest speaker!!!

Holiday Inn Select Airport.

Take your cameras, camcorders etc, cause these guys aren't gonna be around forever, I was lucky enough to get Joie Ray, and Billy Earl on DVD the last few years.

PM me if you need contact info for the bench racers weekend.

13. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

My new 1963 Agajanian Willard Battery Watson roadster will be at the Columbus Ind. Oldtimers meet on March 22.

Attached Files:

14. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

That is KILLER!! Very nicely done!

JD

15. Buildy

Buildy

Some more about the Blitzen Benz. The car as run here in the U.S. was basically a land speed record car,and for exhibition runs. Barney Oldfield set a Land Speed Record of over 130 MPH in 1910 on the sand in Fla. Barney also drove the car to many oval track records in solo exhibition runs. After Barney temporarily retired,Bob Burman took over the wheel and continued setting records with the car. Burman did a demonstration run at the first Indy 500 in 1911. The car had too large a cubic inch displacement to race in the 500.
    The exact replica was just completed in 2007 and was shown at Goodwood in England and at Laguna Seca at the Monterey Historics. Mercedes was in volved ,supplying and engine and other parts and technical assistance to make sure the car was a accurate as possible.

Here is an old postcard of Barney O. in the car on a dirt track. It appears he is struggling with a flat tire in the photo!

[​IMG]

16. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

It is a nice "bookend" to my other "Parnelli Jones" build.

Attached Files:

17. Buildy

Buildy

Here is Bob Burman at Indianapolis in 1911. Burman did an exhibition run in the Morning before the start of the first Indy 500.

[​IMG]

18. Buildy

Buildy

Here is the Blitzen Benz at Monterey in 2007.

[​IMG]

19. Buildy

Buildy

Here is the engine-a large displacment 4 cyl. with external valve train. Dual spark per cylinder and two magnetos. It put out around 200 HP which was a tremendous amount of HP. for 1910.

[​IMG]

20. barneymusic.jpg

Before they sang about "409's" there was Barney

21. Charlie's Son

Charlie's Son
    from california

My dad drove this car for Hank in the mid 60's. Powerful race car that saved his life. When I figure out how to use this technology stuff, I will post some of the photos from 50's-60's NARC racing.
    Thanks for bringing these memories back to life.

22. racer5c

racer5c

Who's your Dad??

23. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Isnt there another deal this month at the new racing museum in auburn , indiana??? I was gonna run down last year from michigan but i got tied up or maybe the weather was just bad. Has anyone been there yet..
    Dave

24. Hows about a SUPER?!

[​IMG]

25. racer5c

racer5c

Even though Don Edmunds is one of my heros, please keep the modifieds for the modified post, Sprint cars, Midgets, old Champ Cars and Champ Dirt Cars tq's 1/4 midgets etc only on this one.

26. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files: