Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

1956 was the best/worst year for Pat Flaherty. First winning Indy, then a week later winning Milwaukee, and the next week taking a big win at Williams Grove over the PA. "gang" in Traylors 55. After a couple more good finishes in the champ car he has a near fatal crash at Springfield (note his shamrock helmet laying on the track) After a lot of sheet time and over a year healing up he attempts a comeback. With the exception of Indy 59, where he comes from deep in the pack to lead and contend for the win before crashing, his comeback is sorta dismal. In the early 60s he gets invoved with a couple of ill-fated Indy cars owned by a Bob Peterson and after failing to qualify a slug of a r/e car at Trenton he hangs it up. He then goes on to spend his time raising racing pigeons, becoming somewhat of a recluse and almost totally dis-associating himself from his racing past.

Attached Files:

2. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi guys,
    If anyone should here of a definite date of the vintage weekend at Winchester Ind., could you please post it. Several of us from the east, are thinking of a "roadtrip" THANKS

3. Ebert

Ebert

Josh,

This year when you and Geno come to Indy, you should come to our shop where we are replicating the old Indy garages which are in front our fab, aero and engine labs...check out the Dreyer sprinter being hoisted to the new mezzanine that is over the "garages'....

This is where we will have our pre-race party on Friday! Sorry about it being OT!
    Ebert

Attached Files:

4. Opp99

Opp99
    from Wichita

5. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

FAR FROM OFF TOPIC! That is killer!! I love the guys on the Fork lift as counter ballance..:D

-------------------

Flipper, YES!! There is some unbelievable stuff coming. One BIG supprise that will have the ISCA show promoters scratchin there asses at how I got it in my display! :p

JD

6. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

No, not yet, unfortunately. Can you help?

Oh, and welcome to Shane Carson as well. Great to have you here, what a treat!

:)

7. Sluggo57

Sluggo57
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Ken,
    I work with Joe Csiki's son Mike. It appears that shortly after Joe's passing "The Worm" was sold off, to whom I don't know. I will tell Mike of this and see if he will join the H.A.M.B. and tell us what he knows.

8. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Hey Sluggo57

THANK YOU!!!!

I'd sure like to know where that interesting midget went, etc..

I'm going to copy your posting over to the Cageless Midget Thread too.

THANKS AGAIN.

9. Hey Mate,

That sticker would look a lot better on that Edmunds than in my tool box.
    I originally had it for an old Edmunds that I used to own.
    I'll get an email, headed your way.

Cheers, Garry

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  10. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

I know this is a midget queston, but I need the help of all of you great historians. A also posted on the midget thread.

Anyone have any information on Ray Lattie, midget owner in the mid sixties? I am restoring a very early, Don Edmunds, single tube, half-torsion rear, spring front, midget and Don and I are attempting to trace the origins. Don believes it is the 5th car he built and he built it for Ray Lattie in 1965. Don did not keep complete records on the early cars, like he did after about car 10.

Blacki Suede

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

From the Michiana site, a couple of pics of Tom York and the Nulls Special. I suspect this was a cut down ex-Indy roadster. Anyone know more about it?

Attached Files:

12. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

HOLY CRAP!!! LOOK AT THIS!!

I'm sure some of you have seen this. A few months back some VERY "FAMOUS" CARS went across the auction block.. (Joes Garage Collection) I wondered what they would bring..

This page not only shows GREAT detailed shots of the cars, but it says what they were "projected" to bring ($) and what they did bring!! :eek: (looks like they guessed a little LOW!!)

..Oh my!!!

***Also, when you click on the car, scroll down cause it gives a great detailed history of the car***

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...on+indy&gbv=2&hl=en&ei=TxstS6OlN8vh8Qat4eSZBw

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  13. Ebert

Ebert

Josh,
    Yeah, out of the late Joe McPherson's collection. I actually saw a handfull of these cars a few years back in Chrisman's shop (he did a lot of work for Joe). Also was able to sit in the Chrisman coupe which is my favorite car of all time...what a thrill!

Hope you have a great Holiday!
    Eric

14. SteveE

SteveE
    from Ohio

The nulls cars were special built cars from the Null stable in Columbus, Ohio.

15. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Josh, would that have been Joe Baird's stuff?

16. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Cageless, roll barless, not fenderless, Miller meet 2009.

My first conterclockwise laps at Milwaukee.

Previous were clockwise in the late 50's, maybe that's why I'm riding.

Attached Files:

17. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Nope... Different Joe. :D

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Thanks

19. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Anybody feel like coloring? :p I whipped this up this afternoon.

MERRY CHRISTMAS FELLA'S.... ENJOY!

Attached Files:

20. ZOOOM

ZOOOM

Well.... THAT cost me a good hour of purusal...
    WOW!
    WHAT a collection!
    Thanks...
    ZOOOM

21. To reply to the Question:
    "When is the date of the 2010 Winchester Old Timers?".....that date has not been set just yet. As soon as the date is firm, it will be posted here and other vintage sites. One thing I can assure you of, it will "NOT" be in October! Should you have any questions about the WOT 2010, send me an email direct.
    [email protected]

Gene Ingram
    Chairman, Winchester Old Timers
    HG :cool:

22. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

That's good news to me!! :D

23. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

Null cars were one off , we, raced with them at Min. state fair with IMCA .

24. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

pics of my new 49/50 champ car

Attached Files:

25. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

More photos of my new box

Attached Files:

26. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Another info request, Don Edmunds has taken the search of my early Edmunds midget seriously and has been a temendous resource. See below.

Carroll
    I talked at length with Jim Chini yesterday, and was shocked at how bad my 79+ year old memory has become, he came up with names of more folks that purchased my early cars. Try the name Bernie Schecter on your history sites. He purchased an early single tube 1/2 bar car that he raced here on the coast , not many races, and not very hard. After a couple of years he moved east, I believe to the Chicago area,and probably sold the car to??
    Don

Blacki-Suede

27. Merry Christmas,and a wealthy,healthy and prosperous New Year....thank you all for the help and advice(and parts)you have given me,and hope to 'see' you all in 2010 SANTA......(Nice sleigh metal bender)

Attached Files:

28. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Work shop looks great Santa.. :D

=====================

Hey Guys, I know a few of you have the Kurtis Number records. Can any of you tell me what (if any) Number comes up for the Lee Elkins, McNamara #73 Indy car that ran in 51' (Bob Swikert) 52' and 53' (Carl Scarborough)

This car finished 12th in 53 after Carl climbed from the car complaining of heat exhaustion, collapsed and died on pit road..

It is pictured on page 89 of the Kurtis-Kraft book.

Thanks for your help.

J shaw

29. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Metal Bender, That things looks great. I aspire to be able to build something like that from scratch. Great craftsmanship!!

30. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

Thanks for the kind words, but dont aspire you must perspire and when your 71 you can build one !!!! :rolleyes: