Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

I'm gonna post this both here and on the midget thread .. Does anyone know how to contact Bob Noll (maybe Knol?) of I think Pennsylvania?

Bob has been a true supporter, advocate, avid fan & contributor to the sport of midget racing on the East coast for many years.

If he were tuned in here he might be able to help with the identity of many in various pictures and with other questions that come up.

THANKS!!!

2. Sprinter 2

Sprinter 2
    from Ct.

Ken
    Bob can be reached at 610-395-5490

3. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

On the Eli Roth photos, definitely not Dutch in the 46, the 24 looks like a young Jiggs Peters.

4. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I thought they were McCullough's (spl) We have an old 60's laydown enduro kart that has Twin Mac's and they look like that.

The track record being held by a kart does not suprise me. It's was, and still is pretty common. The track record at Mid-Ohio was held by a kart for years.. I don't know if that still the case though.

===========================

On a side note, I'll brag just a bit :D : The last year I ran Karts full time, 1993.. I ran two classes. 4 cyl. stock appearing and Open 2 cyl. I won the championship in both classes that year. The classes were ran back to back, So.. I'd run the 4 cyl., come off the track, stand up, step outta the 4 cyl. and into the 2 stroke that would be sitting there running. Quite a driving style difference to deal with every race.

In the 2 stroke, I went Undefeated the entire year. WON EVERY FEATURE! That thing HAULED ASS!! I was 16 yrs old.

J Shaw

5. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Ken Schou, on Duece3wdocoupes pictures,
    the first #46 in Bobby Courtwright, the second picture of the #46 is Charlie Miller, not Dutch Schaeffer and the #33 is Freddie Meeker. I verified with a CD I have of Eli Roth pictures.

6. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Racer 5c talks with chief mechanic about his Ranger powered ride at Z'hills yesterday.

Blacki-Suede

Attached Files:

7. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

GRRRREAT JOB JIM!!!! .... MANY THANKS!!!!

It's very interesting to put the names with these "young(er)" faces.

Is that CD of Eli Roth pictures available? .. If so from who & where?

Jim & Duece3wdocoupes .. I went back & edited my post on the previous page.
    Jim .. Any idea who that is in the #4 Hophan car???

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  8. Buildy

Buildy

9. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Would the #4 Midget be Chuck Arnold?

10. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

Awesome job guys....I agree it's nice to put names to the faces, these guys deserve to be remembered.
    > interestingly enough the day I bought the photos I was walking around the swap meet with them and people would stop me to look at them....at least three people said that was Dutch Schaeffer in the 46 so there must be some resemblance.....but I am going to defer to the opinion of the experts here on the thread.
    Viva la HAMB !!

11. Buildy

Buildy

"Would the #4 Midget be Chuck Arnold?"

Yes Spike,one of the guys IDed it as Chuck. Looks like he was sporting a Shiner at the time unless I`m mistaken....

[​IMG]

12. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

13. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

from an old (and tattered) STP handout I have....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Buildy

Buildy

HA HA don`t know if Chuck was a fighter or if he took a rock in the eye....

I was afraid you`d say no it was just a speck on the photo.

Nice close-up!

15. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

Might have been a ladies man.........run into a jealous husband!

16. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Yes that is Chuck Arnold, and he did think of himself as a ladies man, all 5'5 of him. His wife Mary was a Saint!

The CD I have was provided by Ron Heddendorf, made from pictures acquired by him etc, and it runs "solto volche", I have no way of picking off pictures or making copies. Says copyright 2003.

Unfortunately Ron passed away a few year ago.

17. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

18. phatfalcon

phatfalcon
    from SW Ohio

You guys know our stuff! Old race cars go through so many changes it's tough to know what's what when you can't get near the "handlers" of the cars.

19. racer5c

racer5c

Not only the chief mechanic, he's also the owner Russ Blevins he and his family are great people Russ probably knows more about the Ranger engine than anyone on earth posting this from my phone will post pictures when I get home

20. wynns #1

wynns #1

I believe the Roth photos went to Bob Miour of Putnum CT. Just finished reading my Sprint car/ midget magazine. Great story on Jim Hurtibise by Parnelli. Never knew they were so close.

21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A little variety from T/H-68.--- A.J., in his only sprint start of the year, takes the low line, aboard Watsons cammer, on Greg Welds 'Rabbit' and Sammy Sessions in the old Gapco machine.

Attached Files:

22. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

23. Buildy

Buildy

Looks like one of those Shriner toy race cars they run in parades to me....

No bumpers no nerf bars no no roll bar no belts, no nothing-I call bogus on this car. No gages in the dash.....
    Etc,Etc....

"I purchased it from a guy just outside of Indianapolis Indiana. He told me that alot of old times remember seeing the car race in that area. "

Racing in the parade is my guess. Indianapolis area is loaded with that kind of stuff.
    The guy who sold it to him gave him a snow job. it does have some old Midget dirt tires on the rear from somewhere,and a bunch of decals they used to hand out at the speedway.
    Schweitzer Turbo-charged-why would that be on a car like that.

I`ll have a red face if anyone actually has documentation of this racing-LOL

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  24. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

It is interesting. It was on Indy craigs list last month for I think $2500 if I remember. I tried to buy the trailer and the owner would not seperate. I agree that it is probably a parade car or promotion piece.

25. Buildy

Buildy

I didn`t mean to sound harsh,but the guy on e-bay is trying to pass it off as a race car,which would be wrong.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  26. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

...'Hey Rootie! Who else drove the Watson DOHC sprinter besides Foyt, Andretti and Mike Mosley? ....... Bobby? And, how much or did A.J. run the car after Mike took that Sunday afternoon ride down the front stretch at Dayton? It was a very busy and tragic Veteran's Day week last week and 'just wanted to thank you and all the other vets again for your service and dedication. Thank you, Rootie!

Attached Files:

27. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Buildy and BZNIEL,,, Yep, I agree.

28. Buildy

Buildy

It could be cool,if a guy like you,corngrower gave it your magic touch!

Not that I recommend buying it by any means,but I bet you could turn that sled into something if you were inclined.

29. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Not me! Not my cup.. dang engine is at the wrong end! :p

Ha ha!

30. Buildy

Buildy

Same here,I like the front motor cars!