Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

mac;
    Yesterday i watched the Indy goings on live on VS TV. They showed a large bunch of the old roadsters, and a few uprights, circling the track. Were any of those your creations. They were great to see.

2. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Hi Spike,
    The Indianapolis Motor Speedway only allows "real" cars to run on carb day, no replicas or recreations. However, I did make some of the bodywork on a number of the "real" cars including the Watson roadsters, a couple of the 60s/70s rear engine cars and the Lotus turbine. It is always a great time hanging out in the vintage tent. The most unbelievable car there was the Ab Jenkins "Meteor" Land Speed Car. It had a V12 Curtiss Conqueror engine. What a monster!

3. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

Mac, Very nice work! Always loved any roadster with the Looks awesome. Especially the Demler 99.-Tom

4. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Tom, if you notice the odd shape of the top rear corner of the Demler fin, it is shaped like a Cad Eldorado fin..... Demler was a big fan of Cadillac Eldorados so Epperly made a special fin for him.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  5. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

mac;
    Thats a damn shame; they could have two on track session; one for each.
    I did see one upright, i think #43, and the drivers helmet looked like one ive seen seen Roy wear. Would he have been driving a car like that?
    The 500 parade looked great on VS TV. Really very well done. One thing i do notice on all Indy stuff; there is never anything at all said about one member of that family; Elmer George. From the times i saw him run, i sure think he was a way better than average driver. And, he also was Tony Georges father! What makes that; does anybody have any idea?

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Elmer George was shot to death back in the 70s. The guy who shot him was never charged and the induendo was that there was something 'hinky' going on between him and his wife Mari Hulman. Best as I can recall.

7. Race Artist

Race Artist

Boy, that start (the second) of the 500 was a sloppy one ... on any track on a Saturday night they'd not have been let go. And who are all these drivers? Its not hard to see why modern US Indy racing has gone to hell. My two cents.
    Joel

8. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

'RaceArtist, 'Your opinion of 'US Indy racing' is a total slap-in-the-face of the organizers, the cars and the drivers and even the race track itself. They have completely destroyed the lore and all of the tradition built up over the last 100 years........'RaceArtist: 'You're right on the money!

9. racer5c

racer5c

hey Race Artist, went to your sight and under race cars all I saw were taxi cabs, how about drawing some real race cars for us guys here, maybe a Miller, or an Edmunds

10. Race Artist

Race Artist

Thanks for visiting my site. I like all forms of historic racing ... I'm a professional artist and mostly do work on a commission basis ... and most of my commissions/clients are "stock" body race cars. I've done a number of open wheel cars for some shirt designers. Attached here is a recent commissioned piece from a member of the Pfommer family and the line art for Chris Urish's USAC sprinter out of Illinois. I'd love to do more vintage open wheel art but it needs to pay the bills too. :)
    Joel

Attached Files:

11. Race Artist

Race Artist

Funny thing though ... I don't reject the modern stuff ... it is what it is. The crowd reaction at the driver introductions was very telling. Years ago when AJ, Sachs, Parnelli and so many others the crowd would erupt at their names being introduced. I'd just like to see it become more like it was with more racers that came up through the ranks of American half miles. The real key I think is dirt miles and the dirt champ cars being part of the series. I doubt it'll ever happen though.
    Joel

12. racer5c

racer5c

The one of Hinnershitz looks great!! thanks for posting!!

13. Race Artist

Race Artist

Thank you. I'd like to do more like the Pfrommer-Hinnershitz one. That one was about 16x20 inches. It isn't based on a photo but an original angle, but researched via photos. The line art modern sprinter was done for a T-shirt design. All are hand done.
    Joel

14. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

15. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

OK, FNG here. Just learning how to post pictures from Photobucket. Luckily I have a smart second grader here to help me!

More later, but this is a re-creation Watson roadster built by Skip Roberts of Berthoud ,CO. He is a member of the CVOR (Colorado Vintage Oval Racers). As soon as I figure this whole thing out, I would very much like to participate in this thread. Lots of great stuff here!!

Sean

16. Sean,
    Resize your pictures to 15"message board in the 'edit page, then right click copy, then come over here and right click 'paste'

[​IMG]

17. miller91

miller91

"Great pictures, thanks for posting them Love these vintage race cars. I'd love to paint some pictures of these kind of cars but color research is hard to come by.
    Joel "

RaceArtist

I too have that same problem...every day somebody dies who was there to see 'em in color!

18. miller91

miller91

Beautifully prepared 1962ish Chevy powered Champ(?) car that showed up at the 2005 Millers at Milwaukee...

19. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

37_print.jpg

This is a picture of me at the vintage meet in Norton,KS 2008. The car is a 1970 Nance sprinter. The car was originally equiped with a bolt on cage, but I liked the "cageless" look better. Besides, it gives me an idea of the bal*s it took to drive one of these things "in the day"!

20. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

Brian 26,

Obviously you have this figured out better than I. Bear with me, I'll figure it out!
    Thanks for improving my pic!

Sean

21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The Chenowth roadster. There's a site devoted to it's history here:
    http://www.sdsproadster.com/SDSP/History.html

22. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

skip 004.jpg

skip 018.jpg

skip 026.jpg

skip 029.jpg

Pictures from the Skip Roberts roadster party.

I/4 scale (running!) Ardun by master machinest Ron Bemment
    1/4 scale Watson roadster and Champ car by Terry Plummer

Amazing!

23. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

skip 020.jpg

skip 021.jpg

skip 023.jpg

skip 010.jpg

Sorry for hogging the thread! Ray Ardold is the son of Chuck, and runs his Edmunds/Essingler with us at the CVOR. Foster Chambell (deceased) was a many time RMMRA midget champion (both driver and mechanic) and chief mechanic on the Ozzie Osborn owned "Denver Chicago Trucking Spcl." Bob Olds was the painter/ crew member of this Denver based Indy effort. Skip Roberts is a retired Denver Fire Division Chief, and as a youngster, his father (who was a truck driver for Denver Chicago Trucking) brought him out to see the car. The image stuck, and all these years later, Skip utilized his considerable talents to re-create this beauty!

Sean

24. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

OK, Last one for the night! Bob Olds (mentioned in the last post) owned an LTC VW midget the the late Larry Rice (RIP Larry) drove on occasion. Olds also owned the former Jack Stroud Offy (1969 USAC champion Bob Tattresall driven) Edmunds midget. It was driven by local RMMRA drivers Frank Marcello, Gene Pastor, Don Wilson and was the first midget ride for sprint stand out Doug Wolfgang. It was also the first midget this wannabe ever sat in!

Sean

25. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

Sorry, it was "Frank Mantello" not "Frank Marcello"

Sorry Frank!

26. VintageRacer37, enjoyed your photo album. However, what is the story on the #14 dirt champ car?? I never knew Penske to be involved with them. Is this a re-creation or resto??
    mlight9.

27. racer5c

racer5c

I always thought that was one of if not THE most beautiful roadsters ever

28. That has to be either a recreation or restoration of the Champ Dirt car Gary Bettenhausen drove and crashed at Syracuse in '72.