Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Buildy

Buildy

That is another Ex Indy Miller that was Bobbed. I wonder if those cars are out there somewhere now? Probably long gone,but I can dream!

I have photos of it when Ira Vail drove it at Indy and the Boards.

Also-although they didn`t call them Sprint cars back then-the Bobbed tail cars were about the same as a sprint car is now.

2. jimdillon

jimdillon

Buildy you are right on the second life for these outdated racers and I have seen a fair share that have had the tail bobbed but never saw one where they left the header hanging that far behind the car. Is the "lady" standing on the rear deck? Now that I look again with my eyes open this time I see it says JP 181.

3. Buildy

Buildy

Here is the Duray Durant car from 1923-converted from an old 2 man car for 1923.

[​IMG]

"Is the "lady" standing on the rear deck?"
    The girl is probably standing on the rear Frame/spring area I`d say.

[​IMG]

I have seen a list of early Racing movies,and there were quite a few. Wonder which one this was from?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  4. jimdillon

jimdillon

Buildy looks pretty close, save for the brake, the genesis is there though.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Of all the 1923 Durant team cars only two used Dayton wire wheels, Duray's car and Frank Elliott's. Note the differance in the Dayton vs Rudge-Whitworth knockoffs.

6. Buildy

Buildy

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Buildy, If you have photos of Vail in a MILLER at Indy it will be car number 6 in 1924 or #19 in 1925, same car different color. I've got a lot of paperwork on this car and would love to see any photos you have. Vail sold the car to H.D. Carpenter in Philadelphia in 1924 and R.J. Johnson drove it, injured in a crash at Charlott and Vail drove it again at Indy in 1925. Carpenter later sold it to M.A. Yagel in Philly who owned a fleet of MILLERS.:)

8. Buildy

Buildy

I`ll post what I have for you.[​IMG]
    1924 on the Boards at Altoona.

9. Buildy

Buildy

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, that is the Ira Vail car he later sold to H.D.Carpenter, thought to be the first 122 Miller built. Vail was a businessman, he'd buy a new Miller ship it by train from LA to a race track, win some money, ship it again win more and by the time he and the car were on the East Coast it was paid for. H.D.Caprenter paid $6,500 in late 1924 for the car with a spair cylinder block. Car was painted robin egg blue in Stanford, Ct. then trucked to Philadelphia.

11. Buildy

Buildy

Are you interested in Ira Vail? There is an excellent article on him called "The Great Vail" in Automobile Quarterly Volume 15 No 4.

12. rustyrail

rustyrail

13. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

A little update .. Eldora was a wash Friday and Saturday was a great race although Darren Hagen took a wild ride into the fence in turn 3. I hear 2 broken ribs and a collapsed lung ? Bummer ... Saw everybody from the Hoffman team again and talked with Dan the head Wrench and Tom Hoffman for quite some time . These are really great guys and love to chat it up when ever I see them. Gotta thank Josh for getting me the tour at the race shop last summer.. Oh ya the 69 Hoffman car with Jerry Coons Jr also won the A main:)... Told Tom we would see him next saturday at the Burg and were gonna do Winchester Sunday on the way back home :)...
    Dave

14. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

All the pics lately have been within the era for this thread; all before 1869. lol.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes! That is a great feature in AQ, when I first got all the Carpenter paperwork Ira Vail was still alive and I recieved two letters from him. oldest INDY driver I have an autograph from. If you look through the AQ feature there is a Bobtail Duesenberg that he sold to Goerge Taytor before the MILLER I posted the photo of. Two great cars that fell off the planet a 5 minute drive from my house. :eek:

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, Post War Cars.................Civil War:rolleyes:

17. Racer 5c, sorry about that. My comp. has been down for almost 2 weeks. Hopefully all fixed. Anyway, yes it could have been Boyce Holt. mlight9.

18. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

I think these will fit this thread. Can't remember the shop name, but this was in Indianapolis yesterday at some shops who kind of had a group open house. Lot of fun

Attached Files:

19. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

I think the Kenyon car and new Kurtis copy midget Offy Roadster were out of or in th Van Craft shop on Gasoline alley.
    aXe

20. sideways27

sideways27

Thought I would share my old 37 Hillegass Midget with you guys. It is not complete but is getting close. It still needs numbers, lettering and upholstery but it is on its way. I know the grill is wrong, as I can not find the correct grill so I used a KK and made a little change to make it look like a Hillegass. The rest is all origional and correct, I even have the origional chrome rims with 1940's Ascot tires still mounted with air. Hard as a rock but very neat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Looking for info. Some time back I ran across site with USAC sprint cars from the 60's. The site is : WWW.//doanita1609.150m.com/engel/engel.html. I have tried to get back to this site but can't. Does this look familiar to anyone?? The time frame was May 2008. Thanks, mlight9.

22. racer5c

racer5c

That would be Van Craft

23. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

24. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

I got a big red flag that the address shown on this post was infected!
    I turned it off. to protect My pc.
    Not sure what you guys should do?
    aXe

25. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

I got the warning too. Im wondering if somebody screwed it up because they disliked the grizzly pic of the Allen Crowe wreck. Many racing fans of the new bunch are thin skinned.

26. Rootie, what is source for the history re x Foyt/Watson re Osterhaut?? mlight9.

27. Johnny, thanks much for the info. I will be checking it out very soon. mlight9.

28. OldBill, have a new job 4 you when you have time. How about pic's of John Wergland cars before the 1 Marvin drove & afterwards until he quit racing. There's no hurry. Thanks, mlight9.