Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. sideways27

sideways27

Rootie I would also like to thank you for your knowledge and your fantastic pictures thay always make my day.
    On a nother subject, I received an email from Arlen Kurtis and he restoring the 01 Kurtis midget and looking for a color picture of the Teal # 75 car that was owned and driven one time by Roy Russing and later driven by Gorden Cleveland. I sent Arlen some pictures of the car that I received from the family of Roy Russing but they are all black and white. Arlen wants to match the color, I did talk to Art Bagnal who was at Gilmore the night they unvailed the midget but it is hard to describe the color as there are too many different shades of Teal. Art said it was a blue to light blue. If someone out there may have a rare color picture at that time I know it would be greatly appreaciated by Arlen and the family.

2. sideways27

sideways27

Found an interesting website, hope this is new regarding Hisso Race Cars.
    http://winfield.50megs.com/Hisso.htm
    Note: Click on the race car picture it gives you alot more info and more pic's.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Milwaukee mile-
    On the dirt 1952--Duane Carter in the Clancy car, #16 Chuck Stevenson #33 Joe James.

On the tar 1954-- #7 Freeland #44 M. Ayulo #5 Parsons #16 Carter.

1956-- #15 Boyd, (2)O'Conner, (3)Ruttman (4)#1 Sweikert (5) #14 Vieth (6) #44 Thomson

Attached Files:

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Some action from 'THE ACTION TRACK'

#16 Greg Weld (note; he has lost his goggles) #3 B. Unser-1966

#42 Tom Bigelow #63 Jerry Riechert-- IMCA race aprox 1965.

#33 Ed Eliason on the gas 1959

#1 Bud Tinglestadt #83 Mario 1964

Attached Files:

5. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Rootie, does that say Watson on the hood of the El Elision picture?? I never knew he drove for him.

6. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the Milwaukee photos, Rootie. Especially the 56 pace lap. I'll take any photo of Pat O'Connor I can find.

7. That was during the transition between Zink and Wilke that Watson employed Ed to drive. The opening lap of the '58 500 had Ed in a year old Watson driving for Zink. Ed and AJ Watson were good friends at the time.

8. pavementends

pavementends
    from Utah

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

• oc.jpg
      oc.jpg
      File size:
      54 KB
      Views:
  10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Spike, FWIW- I came across this and recalled you had a connection.

Attached Files:

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

April Fools Day Quiz: Who can identify this guy?

Attached Files:

12. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Rootie-
    Thanks much for posting that pic of Dicks Champ Car; or what was left of it.
    Liked tha pic of Mario in the old Rufus Gray GAPCO sprinter. I saw Mario run that car at Reading, and believe it or not, the car had spoke wheels on the front of it! Just like the old Dayton wheels.

13. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Thats Bill France Sr.

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

DING-DING-DING.... and the winner is... mac miller :D

15. PK

PK
    from Ohio

I ran across this pic of Gordon Wooley in the Black Deuce at the Old Tampa Fairgrounds in 1964. Papa Honore had replaced the 270 Offy with the bowtie.
    PK

Attached Files:

16. Here's a new car on the radar, never raced I think, 1938 Swain

[​IMG]

17. hey, whered lee's pics go?

18. Racing history from Littleton CO Coleman Truck & Tractor Company

Joe Unser and his brothers were hired as designer/mechanics for the Coleman race cars.

Joe had come in 2nd place at Pikes Peak in 1926-27-28 prior to working for Coleman.

His 1927 entry was a Paige Special. [some places call it a Graham-Paige] He is said to

have driven his Pikes Peak car as a daily driver when he was killed south of Denver in

1929. Coleman used Miller M 183s for the base for their Indy cars. They entered in 1930,

1931 and 1932. Car #15 was a Coleman-Miller run at the 1930 Pikes Peak hill climb after

the death of Joe Unser. The Coleman race car was entered at Indy as the Bud's Auto

Parts special in 1933. Car #4 was an experimental Coleman for an effort to make front

drive highway cars.
    *car 5 is a Miller 183 - car 2 is an earlier Paige that did quite well at the Peak - car 4 is also Unser's Paige

Coleman Corporation was also a manufacturer of all-wheel-drive trucks and front-wheel-drive conversions for trucks for many years.

JG

Attached Files:

19. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Perris Auto Speedway promoter Don Kazarian announced that effective immediately, due to the serious drought conditions in California, the track will be closing all of the women’s restrooms. The water saved will be water that is used on the famous half-mile clay oval.
    “All of those flushes add up and will go towards filling up the water truck,” Kazarian said with his broken ankle propped up on his desk. “We know this will cause a minor inconvenience, but it will not only help with the track, but with the drought conditions as well.”
    The veteran promoter plans on sectioning off a couple of the stalls in each of the men’s restrooms for the female fans. When questioned if privacy would be a problem, Kazarian acknowledged that this was a concern when he made the decision. However, he claims to have solved it. “We are going to nail some sheets to the walls,” he said. “And, they will not be the cheep flimsy kind. We will get the cotton ones with a pattern so nobody can see through them and we will be sure to make the lights on the women’s side of the restrooms very dim.”
    When queried if he had asked females who work at The PAS for advice before making the decision, Kazarian meekly smiled and said, “No, I did not. Well, to be honest, I haven’t exactly told them about this yet.”
    The women’s portion of the restrooms will have separate doors from the men’s. Kazarian stated, “We want to make this transition as painless and comfortable as possible. We are blending some of the red and white paint for the crash wall and will paint the ladies side of the restrooms pink. We will also have the baby changing stations in each restroom like we always have. That will work out well like always unless Ocotmom shows up.”

20. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Wow. I grew up in Geauga County (includes Bainbridge township) and learned much of its history but never knew about the track. I was told today the land became part of Geauga Lake Amusement Park. Interesting.

21. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

The black #5 in Mr. Magoo's post is a very interesting car. It was known as the "Miller convertible". It was used to set speed records, mainly at Muroc Dry Lake in California. It was built with one brake located on the driveshaft. It was driven by Tommy Milton. It was called the convertible because they would run for a class speed record with the 183 ci engine and, over night, they would change to a 122 engine to run for a different class record. The car survives and has attended many "Millers at Milwaukee" meets.

mac miller in INDY

Attached Files:

22. nexxussian

nexxussian

23. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

To Spike Ruth, not a mile track, but....

Jim Ruth - Ruth 46.jpg

Schultz-Ruth 46.jpg

The first photo is from the Grove, 1966. The second is ???? Schultz driving at Birmingham in 1975.

Sure would like to see a larger photo of your Avatar or other color photos of your cars!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  24. sideways27

sideways27

25. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

OldBill-
    The pic of #46 is me beside my first car, the former Peters Offy. taken at the Grove. The second photo is all new to me; i never saw that car before, and never knew anybody by that name! We never raced in Birmingham either.
    I will put my second car back on here; the Hillegas chassis, and other pics if possible.

26. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Larger Avatar you requested. This is me in the Hillegas built car, taken at Raleigh, N.C. at the State Fair.

[​IMG]

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Now thats a motley crew if I ever saw one! :D

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Kinda looks like Johnny White, 'back in the day'

Attached Files: