Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A real piece of open wheel history here. Barzda/Peters streched KK midget, that raced f-o-r-e-v-e-r. Despite being named for the land of Kandy and Chrome, it proves it don't have to be pretty or new to be fast.

Attached Files:

2. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Any idea where the bottom two photos were taken, Rootie? The last one looks like IRP in the very early 60s, out of turn four.

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I believe you're right, the middle pic, with Barzda, is a Byers pic from IRP 1961, so I'll bet the others are as well.

4. ron kramer

ron kramer
    from penna.

Here are 2 more of the Bazda/Peters car at Williams Grove, two different ocassions.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. wynns #1

wynns #1

A friend of mine is restoring a Kurtis midget that won the last ARDC feature powered by a Ford 60 at Flemington,NJ on Sept. 1 1962. Does anyone know if any other Ford 60 powered midget won a feature elsewhere in the country after that date?
    Sorry to here about Mr. McWithey

6. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Parallel torsion bars were actually very common back in the day, especially on the rear of the cars. Most then were spring front set ups.

7. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Well, To any of you who have noticed.. My Photobucket account is down so none of my pics are showing up from way back. Not to fret! It'll all be back soon.

Till then, I'll post some pics of what's new in my shop this week.

I found this one for a customer of mine. It was bought locally in Cincy. It was a spare car that was never finished, built as a Watson copy. It came with everything but a rear tank so I put one of mine on it for now. I can't wait to build this car, This is my favorite era!

Attached Files:

• x1.jpg
      x1.jpg
      File size:
      98.1 KB
      Views:
    • x.jpg
      x.jpg
      File size:
      84.6 KB
      Views:
    • x2.jpg
      x2.jpg
      File size:
      91.9 KB
      Views:
  8. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

And here's the one I bought for my self last Sat. It was discussed a few pages back. It is the "Randy Mausteller" Edmunds Sprint car out of PA. that was stetched a TON for street aplication. I hear Randy is still around, and involved in Midget racing.. So, I hope to get in contact with him and get some pics of the car as it was. It looks like it was orange at one time..? You can see where they stretched it in the one pic with the un-ground welds..

Attached Files:

• x6.jpg
      x6.jpg
      File size:
      108.4 KB
      Views:
    • x7.jpg
      x7.jpg
      File size:
      90 KB
      Views:
    • x9.jpg
      x9.jpg
      File size:
      119.6 KB
      Views:
    • x11.jpg
      x11.jpg
      File size:
      118.1 KB
      Views:
    • x12.jpg
      x12.jpg
      File size:
      99.8 KB
      Views:
  9. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

And if you have'nt heard.. We've had some good snow come through the last couple of weeks!

Nothing like having a BILL BOARD that reminds you how to drive everytime you leave work!
    :D

Attached Files:

• x17.jpg
      x17.jpg
      File size:
      106.7 KB
      Views:
  10. Corngrower,

This sickness has got to stop! Seriously, we have talked quietly through PMs that you need an "intervention". We have decided that the best thing for you is to BRING THOSE to my location. It's for your own good young man!LOL

11. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

:D

NONSENSE!! I'm quite Alright.. :):(:confused::mad::p;):D:eek::rolleyes::cool::eek: see?

..."Don't stop here! This is Bat country!!"...

-----------------------------

Hey! I bought 2 SBC Mags at the Indy show Sat off of one of you guys on here.. WHo was it? I recognized ya, but couldn't remember your "name" on here. I was gonna ask you when I stopped back to pick them up but you were gone!

Thanks,

JD

12. Ebert

Ebert

Josh,

LOVE the new avatar!

13. rustyrail

rustyrail

14. Ebert

Ebert

15. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

We're updating my website and I had to HAND draw B&W Line art for the products page. Here are some more for ya'll to play with.. This is the kinda shit I did before I built Hot Rods and Sprinters..

There Quick and dirty but serve there purpose. In the website they will be very small thumbnails you can click on.

Attached Files:

• ss2.jpg
      ss2.jpg
      File size:
      67 KB
      Views:
    • ss1.jpg
      ss1.jpg
      File size:
      50.7 KB
      Views:
    • ss3.jpg
      ss3.jpg
      File size:
      93 KB
      Views:
    • ss5.jpg
      ss5.jpg
      File size:
      77.9 KB
      Views:
    • ss6.jpg
      ss6.jpg
      File size:
      66.7 KB
      Views:
    • ss7.jpg
      ss7.jpg
      File size:
      82.5 KB
      Views:
    • ss4.jpg
      ss4.jpg
      File size:
      84.6 KB
      Views:
  16. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Hey all...

See these Brass inserts in the Torsion tube on this front end. I need a set of those for another car. Can you still buy them or will I need to turn a set down in the Lathe?

Attached Files:

• x7.jpg
      x7.jpg
      File size:
      90 KB
      Views:
  17. Ebert

Ebert

way too cool!!!!!

18. I know Smileys Racing Porducts still sells them.

Now a question for you "misterknowitallandhavethecarstoproveit"-Just kidding-----DOES Winters still sell 2 5/8" knockoffs? We were told they did but until I have some in my hands, well you know.

19. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Great list of videos Tolmsted. I just got my Computer going again and I'm slowly catching up!

Thanks For posting!

JD

20. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  21. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

The snow here in the Midwest has kept me out of the shop, so I started on the design for the body of my midget. I already have the tail so I am going to make molds for the nose and hood. This is by no means the traditional way, but it works for me.

The first thing I did before I did any chassis work on the car was to draw up a blueprint of what I was going to build loosely based on Don Edmunds blue prints. Once this was done I used the plans to build an accurate 3D model of the complete chassis in the computer. This is what I used to actually build the chassis from. Once the chassis was done I started to skin it for the shape I was looking for. After many subtle changes I came up with the final shape that I want. I then used my cnc machine to carve out a foam study model to look at. A few more changes and I think I am done. Any suggestions on the final design would be great.

The next step will be to cnc out the nose and hood out of foam to build a mold from. My cnc is small so the buck will be cut out of many blocks of foam and glued together. I have never made a mold before, so it should be interesting. I will probably wait till spring to start so I can do most of it outside. I have plenty to keep me busy like mounting the engine, radiator, and fuel tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

:D BZNIEL.. You kill me with that shit!! In the words of "Richcraft mike" ....

"I build my cars with a fucking CLAW HAMMER and your using a CNC to test fit stuff!"

Keep the pics comming Niel, I love it!!

23. Sprintcar10

Sprintcar10
    from Arizona

Corngrower32

Do you know what year your chassis was built? Edmunds only built 85 sprint cars from what I've read.

24. jimg12

jimg12

Bzneil,
    What is your IQ? Those pictures are out of this world. If you can do that you can do anything. What beautiful lines.
    Josh contact me at my new email address, I can not get the other to work. Keep up the good work Guys.
    Jim Graybeal

25. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Speedway Motors has them for 1-1/2 o.d.--- .095/.120 tubes.

26. Geez man, if you're bored, I've got some 2D drawings of my T speedster on turbocad that I would LOVE to see "fleshed out" :D!!!

Awesome work- keep us updated, please.

27. Any idea on the Indy History on this roadster?

28. racer5c

racer5c

for what size bars?

29. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

Corngrower, those are pretty common parts that any bearing supply in Cinn. should have on the shelf

"Doc" Parsons

30. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Josh try Applied Technologies over here in KY...They carry all kinds of bearings/bushings, they have come thru in a pinch for me several times....
    <TABLE id=Table3 cellPadding=2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=10></TD><TD class=text><TABLE id=Table4 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=textbold>Walton</TD></TR><TR><TD class=textbold>Location # 0385</TD></TR><TR><TD class=text>10787 Dixie Highway</TD></TR><TR><TD class=text>Walton, KY 41094-9720 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=textbold>PH: (859) 371-9622</TD></TR><TR><TD class=textbold>FAX: (859) 371-9589</TD></TR><TR><TD class=textbold>Email: [email protected]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://web.applied.com/

Hell I think McMaster Carr might even have them..

http://www.mcmaster.com/# good luck.. Ryan