Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Welcome hanestad, not sure what post you're refering to, it must have been quite a while back. All I have is these 2, so it must have been one or both of these, sorry. Theres a few Ranger guys on here now, so maybe they have more.

BTW- Would you or your brother be Darrel Hanestad?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  2. Here is one that we did the engine for a couple of years ago (Flathead 60), it was restored by the original builder and his son. The car was first built in 1939 and the old guy that built it is now 95.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

1969 at Sacramento; Greg Weld on the pole with the STP Plymouth powered #60 with Al Unser in the Vel's Parnelli Jones Ford DOHC along side. Mario Andretti in the STP Offy, inside of the second row with Jim McElreath in his own Chevy powered car, outside second row. 4 cars= 4 different engines.------1970 at Sedalia with Al Unser on the pole with the Johnny Lightning Ford DOHC with Andretti's STP #1 car powered by a stock-block Ford with Gurney-Westlake heads.------1963 at Sacramento; Rodger Ward in the Kaiser Aluminum Offy with Lone-Star JR along side in a Chevy powered car.

Attached Files:

4. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

'Rootie, 'Those last two pics of the Ranger aircraft engine sprint car are (I'm almost sure) the Hank Hanestad car. The one on the left looks like the front straight-away at Calistoga (CA) Speedway and the other one looks like Vallejo (CA) Speedway. But, they're both Jan Opperman!

5. sprint3

sprint3

eaglecarweb.jpg

Here is a pic of a car built in the ansen wheel shop in 1966. 2 cars were built..only one is left. Awaiting restoration at HEI Motorsports in Washington State. This car won several championships and many main events. Car was way ahead of it's time.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I remember the Trigueiro Bros. fielding some badass supers, out of central Ca., back in the 70s, same orange color IIRC. Didn't know they were from a midget background, cool.

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Great pics, thanks! nothing like variety, I always say. A simpler time for sure, I'll bet none of them rolled into the pits in the back of 40' trailers. :)

Attached Files:

• t-1.jpg
      t-1.jpg
      File size:
      44.9 KB
      Views:
    • t-3.jpg
      t-3.jpg
      File size:
      43.6 KB
      Views:
    • t-2.jpg
      t-2.jpg
      File size:
      42.2 KB
      Views:
  8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The other "Opp"-- younger brother Jay. Wonder if he would have gone on to be as renowned as Jan ?

Attached Files:

9. I think he would have made a great driver. As Jan made his way across the country he would give his old notes and thoughts back to Jay. That in turn would give Jay a heads up on a lot of hidden issues early. Word has it he was every bit as good in the v8-60 midget in Cali, throw that in with looking to make a name for himself instead of just being "Opps brother", you'd get a great driver.

His clean cut image would have helped him get a quality ride at Indy a lot sooner too when you add it up. Bad luck or trying too hard too soon did him in. The guilt Jan carried for his brothers death may have contributed to Jans less than serious attitude towards safety -as in roll cage padding.

Alas, roll cage padding would have not helped him in the '76 Hoosier 100.

10. eye bone

eye bone

This is another thread that needs to be declared a "National Historical Landmark!"
    Thanks for posting all of you! Cool!

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

There are those who saw him race that say he was every bit as good as Jan, but never having really made "the big time" to really prove it, it's hard to say. Don't know if he was in a quality car or a shit box at Knoxville, but either way, they say it was a unsurvivable crash.

12. He was in a sister car to Trostles own house car. Jay would have had Trostles car just like Jan did when he came through but that ride was taken. It was a top notch ride of equal quality.

13. Guess who gave Jan the news? Kenny Weld.

I think that somewhere in that exchange was the main spark for what became an intense rivalry.

14. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

[​IMG]

Dean Van Lines Crew' L to R : Al Singer,Al Dean, Bruce Crower (Crower Cams), Clint Brawner, (Can't Remember name) .

Mac can you chime in ?

Al Singer was a good friend from the Detroit Area and was an Indy Car Owner in 1946 with his Voelker 6 cyl.DOHC in a Roy Richter Chassis, but didn't qualify for the 500. Driver was Charlie Van Acker.

Indianapolis, IN 500 Mile Race - May 30, 1946
    [FONT=UniversCondensed,Bold]Non-Qualifiers[/FONT]
    62 Charles VanAcker Singer Voelkr DNQ, too slow

He kept the car until his death and GAVE it to his young neighbor girl for helping him restore it and care for it !

Had a Watson Dolly trailer for it too ! I can't find a photo of it right now.

Tom

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Mike Mosley administering a brake test, New Bremen 1969.

Attached Files:

16. I saw this post over on the historic stock car thread.
    Looks like something Hurk would drive

Dog427435 <script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_3479292", true); </script>

[​IMG]

<!-- icon and title --> [​IMG] Re: Historic Stock Car Photos
    <hr style="color: rgb(229, 229, 229); background-color: rgb(229, 229, 229);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Art Malone drove the "Mad Dog IV" shown here at Bristol Speedway, to a new closed-course
    world record of 181.561 mph at the Daytona Speedway in 1961.
    Bill France had posted a $10,000 reward to the first person to crack 180 mph after a death
    caused USAC to remove Daytona from their schedule.
    Builder Bob Osiecki took an Indy car and a supercharged fuel injected 413 Chrysler bored to 450 cu in producing 800 hp on alcohol to do it.
    Six other drivers including NASCAR great's Curtis Turner and Buck Baker tried their hands before
    Malone got behind the wheel.
    Several blown engines and many shredded tires later Malone ran an estimated 226 mph
    on the straights and 170 mph in the turns to circle the track in 49.59 seconds.
    It cost Osiecki $35,000 to win the $10,000 of which Malone got $2500!

[​IMG]

17. For those of you from the Indy area, their is going to be a dandy project going on over in Gasoline Alley. Denny Jamison of HammerArt is going to be recreating the Sumar Streamliner for Don Smith. The version he will be doing is the very first edition as it rolled out of the truck in 1955 at Indy for the first time. Enclosed canopy and all. To see what the target will be check out this link to the photo, to see the 1955 version.

http://champcars.blogspot.com/2005/07/sumar-special-streamliner.html

The original car ( or what was left of it ) was restored to the version that Marshal Teague was killed in at Daytona. That version has a roll bar and no canopy.
    Denny and Tevic Bush are already going full steam as I write this. I will post a couple of photos very soon of the start of the build.
    HG

18. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

19. Here are three shots I took today. More to come as the project continues to progress. I think this car will be an awesome piece of work. To Denny and Tevic, good fortune to you both. Can't wait to see it roll out.
    HG

Attached Files:

20. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Hey Mike, Good to see you onboard. It would be nice to see the Eagle car back together again. Did out some more pics when you get a chance. OB

21. RSCA HISTORY

RSCA HISTORY

[​IMG]

22. sidhurst

sidhurst

I have been to this guy's house where he made those rear ends, he put them together in his basement. I believe the house is on "D" street still, Hamilton OHIO. It was a walk in basement and this was back in mid 60's when I was there.

23. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

A little info on the Sumar Racing Team and the "Sumar Streamliner".

In 1952 Chapman Root and Don Smith formed the Sumar Racing Team, named for their wives, Sue Root and Mary Frances Smith.
    The image is the restored Sumar Streamliner that now resides in the Root Family wing of the Daytona Beach Museum of Arts and Sciences.

Blackie_Suede

Attached Files:

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the info and photo of Barney Barns, great guy that I got to meet and see race in the 1970's. He used to haul that Midget around the countyr on top of a full size station wagon. Used a set of fold up aluminum ramps, car was Harley Knucklehead powered. I had a Pop Duyrer built care somewhat like it that Bill Schindler owned/drove, car was known as "The Catfish". I'll post some photos as soon as I find them.

25. I'm sure looking forward to seeing that done. I just recently read Smokey Yunick's book, and before that I never realized how he, Teague, Daytona and the Sumar car were weaved together. Ironically, a Sumar car was also involved in Vukovich's fatal Indy crash.
    I just went thru Don Smiths (new) little museum where he has several old race cars and many, many Indy pace cars and it was great. There's a big mural on the wall of Sumar Racing, with both of the guys and thier wives. If your ever in downtown Terre Haute try and take it in.
    Later, Phil

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  26. racer5c

racer5c

I have the "correct" info on these 2 cars according to my step dad but am having trouble joining the forum I will post it as soon as I am able to get registered

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  27. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Racer 5C thanks.