Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Damn I love picture threads.

I have been wanting to start a Sprintcar and Midget picture thread for awhile, especially after seeing the "Drag cars in motion" thread!

ITS NOT AS FAR OFF TOPIC AS SOME MIGHT THINK... Hot rod styles and technologies came from early race cars. If you have never seen a sprint car up close you would be amazed how similar they are to Hot Rods STILL TO THIS DAY! They still today, have solid axles, Cowl steering, quickchange rears, Hilborn Injected, and are just light weight hotrods!

-------------------------

NEW COMERS READ HERE!!! If you are new to this sight, and just checking out the "Vintage Sprint Car Thing" through word of mouth, WELCOME!
    This is a Traditional Hot Rods Chat board where guys that enjoy Hot Rods built like they "Used to BE' Gather to swap stories, get info, and give Info when asked. It is FREE TO JOIN! PLEASE DO!! The guys that run this deal are great, and will take care of any questions you send there way. Joining makes things run smoother for you. You will be able to use the "Search" buttons as well as a slew of other Privlages that come with being a MEMBER.
    Think of a name, or use your own.. and SIGN UP!

THEN PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE POST BEFORE JUMPING IN THE DISCUSSION. A TON of info has been thrown down here, and it's not uncommon for even me to forget that "We already talked about that on page... whatever.

Thanks! and ENJOY IT!

Tips that might help ya.. (if your new to computers and discussion boards like this)

1. Most small pictures can be "Clicked on" and they will appear larger
    2. WHen using the "quote" option delete out the pictures and any other info your not commenting on in the quote. That way we don't have the same pictures apperaing over and over.
    3. Remember, the younger guys like me weren't there and often don't know the exact dates, names and facts.. When we get them wrong, please correct us in a respectfull way. "If you run the young guys off now, it will all eventually just fade away"
    4. Have fun!

I took some pics lastnight that are neat.. And I'll get to those "Mistery" photos in a min. but first.. Here are some of my favorites.

Ill start with one of.. IF NOT THE BEST to ever drive an open wheel car.. TED HORN

I got the PLEASURE of seeing this first car, IN PERSON! about a month ago. It is the most amazing car I have ever seen... It is more sophisticated than many race cars today. For it to be built when it was is unreal!

Ted nicknamed the car "Babe"
    [​IMG]
    here are two more of Teds rides..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of my top five drivers ever...
    MY HERO!!!

RICH VOGLER
    [​IMG]

here are many more..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This ones for you Roy!! (Roy Caruthers is a HAMBER, "racer5c")
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out the "THREE DEUCES" on this car..
    [​IMG]

This is one of the most beautifully restored cars I've ever seen.. Restored by Joe Baird of Shelbyville Ind.

[​IMG]
    And one for fun!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
    quicksilverart46 and Dean Lowe like this.
  2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Aw shit, Corngrower, now I aint gonna get to bed early:D

Attached Files:

quicksilverart46 likes this.
  3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

4. richcraft.spl

richcraft.spl

The vivian buick spl. is alive and well . I paint and did the body work and josh and his dad lettered it .
    [​IMG]

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

oldtymehiboy likes this.
  6. richcraft.spl

richcraft.spl

Dr . bowles offy powered sprinter (still in the family )
    [​IMG]

7. richcraft.spl

richcraft.spl

8. richcraft.spl

richcraft.spl

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

oldtymehiboy likes this.
  10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Re: VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1969 and older only please.

Attached Files:

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Gotta love the Indy cars too.

Attached Files:

quicksilverart46 likes this.
  12. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

mine, supercharged

Attached Files:

quicksilverart46 and big jee like this.
  13. McKee

McKee

Flathead Sprinter

Attached Files:

14. jpbanjo

jpbanjo
    Member Emeritus
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Heere's one of the old Zink crs pulled out of the museum for a Tulsa show last August[​IMG]

quicksilverart46 and Dean Lowe like this.
  15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Da man

Attached Files:

• foyt.jpg
      foyt.jpg
      File size:
      63.7 KB
      Views:
  16. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

This one is the great "Offy Killer" by the late engine builder Chet Wilson of Wichita.
    His son Jerry is still building motors, and he shows this one off regularly.

Now - how many of the pix you've posted were built by the late, great LaVern Nance of Wichita?
    Many of sprint racing's giants have wheeled a Nance Speed Equipment built car round the bullring.

oldtymehiboy likes this.
  17. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Now for some "Interesting" photos..

Most of you (All of you Open wheel fans) have probably heard of the "Agajanian Spl" Owned by J.C. Agajanian, or.. "Agy" for short.

First off... For those of you that don't know.. J.C. Agajanian was one of Auto Racing GREATEST car owners and Race promoters EVER. The "Agajanian Special" was his own personal car..

It is arguably one of the most FAMOUS american race cars ever, and one of the coolest! GMP makes the model. Bruce Meyer owns it now and the car sleeps at night in between the Pierson Bros. coupe, The Doane Spencer roadster, and the so-cal belly tanker.. :eek:

First... here are two pics of J.C. in his signature White straw hat.
    He was always well dressed, and was known for his "care" of the drivers that competed.

http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii312/joshuashaw32/?action=view&current=60DuQuoin.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii312/joshuashaw32/60DuQuoin.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">

[​IMG]

Now for some pics of the car. I'm sure there were more than one "Agajanian Spl's" built, But not many.. if not only two...(notice grilles) One indy car and one dirt champ car.. (Most teams only owned one car and raced it both on dirt and at Indy!!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is the GMP model..

[​IMG]

These toys were made in the 50's.. and some of you might have seen them in collections.. BUT!! WHICH ONE DID YOU SEE!!?? 99% of them are "Champion Spl's" Next time you see one look closely on the hood. The Chinese company that made these originally put J.C.'s name on the hood WITHOUT ASKING HIS PERMISION or paying royalties! Well, after a cease and desist they were quickly jerked from the shelves and changed to the "Champion Spl" A close frind of mine here in Cincinnati has an actual "Agajanian" toy!! Like this. $$$$$$$

[​IMG]

Now... for some "Interesting" pics.

Like most race cars, (Drag cars and Hot Rods) when a car gets a couple years old it is sold to some other racer, and raced under different names.. again and agian and again..

Old #98 was no different. But to my SUPRISE it was actually raced out of my home town of Milford! (Cincinnati) And my dad lived next to it!! (when he was about 5 years old:D)
    My pops farm was next to the Hoffman family farm Gus Hoffman (Ol' timer) bought #98 and raced it as the "Hyde Park Lumber Spl." The Hoffmans still race sprint cars to this day BIG TIME! Infact.. they hold a record... MOST USAC WINS BY A SINGLE TEAM EVER!

Here is the "Hyde Park Lumber Spl" (Name on the hood) in front of the hoffman garage.. the same garage they race out of STILL TODAY!!

[​IMG]

This is my favorite photo! In this picture, in the Hoffman garage, That's Gus Hoffman kneeling down in front of the car. On the far right is Gus's SON Richard "Dicky", sitting on the stool watching.
    Today, Richard owns/runs the team and HIS SON Rob is the crew chief.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some more of this FAMOUS car with different drivers and different #'s
    Enjoy!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats Ol' timer in the white button down shirt.
    [​IMG]

Joshua Shaw.

hiboyroadsterboy likes this.
  18. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I gotta post a couple shots of dads new one. Its almost ready for lettering. Finished up the Nerf bars today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And more of "The Man" (Your damn right!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

Awesome thread Josh, I gotta see the Sprint car since paint!

20. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

I need to see if I can dig the pics up, but my grandfather used to race an Offy Sprint in the 30's up and down the east coast. My uncle would tell me stories of him calling home late at night not knowing what town he was in (drunk off his ass hahaha!) He won a alot of races and a few championships, unfortunately, his family wasn't too well off with him being fresh from Italy only years before, so he didn't own the car, but he was one hell of a driver! He also worked for our local Ford dealer through the 60's and worked on the factory race car which was an R code Galaxie 427, which is still around today (sadly without the 427) but it's all complete and driving!, Mike (richcraft.spl) knows all about the car!

21. racer5c

racer5c

Who is your Grandfather?????

22. racer5c

racer5c

Josh I am surprised you forgot to mention that was A. J. Watson standing in that picture, and I move Vogler up to the top two I have ever seen, not to mention he was like a brother to me, he won his first USAC Championship in my dads car, I will dig some pics out and try to keep it under a hundred or so, I guess Midget and Champ car pics are ok since others are posting them already, first pic is of Josh's Cincy Buddy Greg Staab, If your a sprint car fan ya know who the next two are. Tried to post some more but the pics are to big and I am to tired

Attached Files:

23. racer5c

racer5c

Jimmy Bryan in my dads car, my brother when he was little, and a Midget I used to play race driver in at Don Edmunds shop ( I think it's the same car)

Attached Files:

24. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

Man this sure bring's back a lot of memorys, that 25 up towards the top is Gordon Wooley, had to follow him around a lot, I still have 2 car's I raced IMCA with in the early 60's a 270 Offy and a Merc flathead neither are for sale, they are barn finds now but both are getting ready for a freshen up, will post pictures when done
    "Doc" Parsons

25. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Awesome Tread Josh!

26. nice -your dads car is bitchin

27. Here's Foyt in the Traco car. It was built for Elmer George by Lujie Lesovsky. I got to drive it once. Quite a thrill to fart in the same upholstery as George, Foyt, "Scratch" Daniels, and Jerry Richert. :)

Attached Files:

• aj21.jpg
      aj21.jpg
      File size:
      30.6 KB
      Views:
  28. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

29. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

i was hoping you would see this Johnny fast. Post a pic of that orange car... Since you actually drove it, don't worry about the date!

Racer5c.... I cant get a correct order for my top five... let alone my top TWO! Vogler and Foyt tie up the top two. Then its (In no order) Hinershitz(spelling?), Horn, Betenhousen, Gaines, pops Kinser, Mel Kenyon, Vuky, Darland, Stanbrough... hell thats more than 5. See what I mean!

Here's Agajanian with one of the best. Vuky. I'm reading his book right now... EXCELLENT!
    [​IMG]

30. swimeasy

swimeasy

This has got to be one of the best threads EVER!!