Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Speed Boats

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Ryan, Sep 11, 2006.

1. I'm looking for info on a 1964 (Mari-time?) aluminum boat. The one we have has been painted, but the question is- Were they all engine turned finish from the factory?

Thank you

2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Check with Fiberglassic's they have Fiberglass, Wood & Aluminum section forums..........................

3. A Cobra with a Cad...............WOW!!

4. jfrolka

jfrolka

The cad power thru water is a beautiful sound.

5. Elmer Rodger

Elmer Rodger
    from San Diego

sweet old flatty, look's like you got the pickup to match it behind it

6. :D I tried to get my car to sound like it.

7. MN1

MN1
    from IL

A few photos of Outboard Power in the early 1970s.
    Mark N
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. RADustin

RADustin
    from Louisiana

this is the coolest boat I've ever seen.

9. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

1953 Ferrari Arno XI with Ferrari 12 cylinder power:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

600+ bhp, 4,493.73 cc Ferrari Tipo 375 F1 V-12 engine with twin superchargers and twin four-choke carburettors, Timossi di Azzano three-point racing hydroplane hull. Length: 6,200 mm (245”). Beam: 2,470 mm (97.24")

• Achille Castoldi’s famed Ferrari V-12 Timossi 800 kg class racing hydroplane
    • Reset the world speed record in its class on 15 October 1953, at 241.708 km/h

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  10. <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Here is a bit of information on Miss Adelaide. A large 28' mahagany hydroplane built in Adelaide, South Australia back in the 1920's. Frank Twining was the captain and his brother Harry was his mechanic. Powered by a 500 H.P. V12 Aero Libety engine, it was quite a thing for little old Adelaide in the 20's.
    One sunny Sunday, I was walking around brousing at the usual shit that is usual at a Sunday flea market and I came across all of these beutiful old silver trophies on a table. Always curious, I picked them up and read the engraving on them, and to my suprise,they were awarded to the Twining Brothers, dated from 1934 through to 1947, including the 1937 - 1938 South Australian State Championship cup that was awarded to Frank Twining and Miss Adelaide. WOW!:eek: $35 was exchanged and they were mine.
    This boat today is in a sad state of disrepair and is on display at Old Tailem Town, a pioneer village at Tailem Bend, on the river Murray, 100Km's east of Adelaide -(see separate "Old Tailem Town" thread). I offered them to the proprieter and he showed little interest in the cups, even for nothing.I hope that the old Miss Adelaide hydroplane will......"get restored one day"I know that I won't be holding my breath waiting for it to be! Please enjoy. H.R.D.
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

</FIELDSET>

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  11. Here are a few boats that I have restored.

Here is Mary Lou. She is a 17'6'' John Hacker design (of Hacker Craft fame ) and built in Port Adelaide, South Australia in 1931. She is a fancy boat, quite a thing for this neck of the woods during the depression.She is made of Honduras Mahogany and still sits on her original Spruce trailer.Powered by a 356 c.i. side valve Cadillac V8 with soft clutch and a heat exchanger, she was queen of the Port river.. . She also participated with other craft in a water skiing demonstration on the Torrens River, in the heart of South Australia's capital city Adelaide as part of the states centenary celebrations in 1936. Aint she sweet?

[​IMG]

Here is a 1964 Harris clinker ski boat built in Berri, South Australia. Murray Harris was a very talented carpenter, and when not building fine homes in South Australia's riverland, he built around 70 of these beutiful looking mahogany and /or maple ski boats. He recently passed on. R.I.P. Murray.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I'm always on a high carb diet. Never too many carbs!

[​IMG]
    My home made dash.

Here is another Harris ski boat that I am currently restoring. It has a SIZZLING HOT 292 out of a F600 truck that goes real quick, like shit off a shovel, noisy too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is an old Hydroplane that I sold off not long ago. Had a supercharged Chrysler six in it, they say.

[​IMG]

Here is my all time favorite photo of my friends father explaning his boat to eager crew of on lookers. Check out those 94's! All 8 of them! :eek::eek::eek: Great photo huh??
    [​IMG]

Same guys dad's other boat. I think from memory it is Olds Rocket 88 powered with a six pack of 97's. Remember, this is Australia in the early 60's!
    WOW! :eek:
    [​IMG]

Hope you enjoyed it! Cheers, H.R.D.

12. jfrolka

jfrolka

If you cant have a chris craft, you have the damn near closest best thing!

13. HaHa :D Thanks man,ya I think im ready to start building models of them boats.The way my work is.....thats the closest I will get.:eek:

Hot-rod dude......you have done some amazing boats,thanks for sharing the pictures.

14. Sideplatesix

Sideplatesix

Hey Hot Rod Dude
    Gold Rush & Thunderbird look sensational, Nice job;)

Here is a pic of Merlin in action, that motor was just way too big for a runabout:eek:

[​IMG]

15. Sideplatesix

Sideplatesix

Here's some classic old Aussie raceboats

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'Monte Cristo' was Ken Warby's, the currant "Fastest Man on Water"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Sideplatesix

Sideplatesix

This batch of Aussie Skiffs have all been restored

'Rebound'
    [​IMG]

'Fury'
    [​IMG]

'Bewitched"
    [​IMG]

'Linda-K' (100ci Class)
    [​IMG]

'Rebound'
    [​IMG]

'Fury'
    [​IMG]

'Bewitched'
    [​IMG]

'Linda-K'
    [​IMG]

17. southerncad

southerncad

Couldn't pass on this one...:Despecially when I lifted the "hood":eek:

Attached Files:

18. My last trip north on a parts hunting journey, I picked up two "marine" 59ab flathead engines. Rather than having water pumps, they have block off plates and spouts. I think when I tear them down, I'm going to try and make patterns from the plates; they might be useful to someone doing a restoration somewhere.

19. So this belongs to you ? Oh my......arent you going to have a great summer.

20. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Here's the Ferrari Arno XI in action:

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LmBnFWfF-zA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

21. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I wish I had pics of Thundebird, the 56 ft Hackercraft that lives at Lake Tahoe,...Powered by a pair of Allisons....It was once owned by the late Bill Harrah.

4TTRUK

22. flyin-t

flyin-t

I got to go on it in the 90's, very cool boat. maybe the coolest ever.

[​IMG]

23. flyin-t

flyin-t

John Hacker by the way was a boyhood friend of Henry Ford.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. slingshot392

slingshot392

25. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

26. NewportNic

NewportNic

I'm guessing this is Ohio, any idea where?
    [​IMG]

27. Had to add these to the list of favorites...

2,000 horse power... just add water...!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I9T5bmrJoTw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-dHQD-D98sQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

28. upspirate

upspirate

Here are a couple of my old rides.

Old wood one was my brothers...I couldn't ride in it enough

Blue one I had in mid '70's...427 bored 030 12/1 speed pro,solid lifters.
    Didn't have the money to change V-drive gears and add Over transom headers, but it still ran mid/high 70's...next owner changed those things as well as carb/manifold and was running 105 on radar.

Red one we restored in the mid '80's....a 1966 Corsair from California....towed it with the Model A behind the tent,and later the 34 Dodge (ignore the words on the photo,they put those on all the spec photos to get you to but,the car wasn't even registered!!!)

Attached Files:

29. upspirate

upspirate

Here is a cool old outboard Rabco Streaker that they dropped a motor in for a fun photo

Attached Files: