Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Speed Boats

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Ryan, Sep 11, 2006.

1. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

These look like the morning after a really good night !

2. No I don't have to work. I retired five years ago, and have been quite active sculpturing. I'm an old GMI guy that learned how to sculpture car bodies almost fifty years ago. I commission different projects for some of the better company's. Nothing worse than finishing a model and the guy doesn't have any money to pay you. I stay away from that crap. In 2008 I sculptured the body for the Victory motorcycle trike called the Crossbow for Lehman trikes out of Spearfish South Dakota. It was a great project and when the bike was released in 2010 it was a big hit.
    Today I was sculpturing 3D flames on the side of my T Bucket. When I was sculpturing Kayaks in 1999 for Water Mark we where working with the US Olympic team, and a group from the Discovery Channel who where going to the Himalayan mountains in Nepal. A lot of different Kayaks where being designed all at the same time, and parallel to what we where doing we designed a Kayak called the "Blaze". It had 3D flames on the deck. They protruded up around a 1/4" off the surface. Last week the light bulb went on and I thought back over a decade and decided my T Bucket needed 3D flames.
    Ill try to respond to some of the pictures. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words. A few of them have an entire story to tell.
    Later, Johnny Sweet

3. So you got to work with Michael Prugh?

4. trimph1

trimph1

[​IMG]

Trying to hide are we?

5. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Wouldn't that just PO the Good Humor Man! Looks like the rear seat has floated away but a can of quick start and it should be ready to go!

6. Scotty Harrod

Scotty Harrod

I've heard of "going to the Submarine Races" before, but that is taking it to a new level!!;):D:D:D

Scotty.

7. Yes, what a great guy. Michael did the drawings that I used to sculpture the Crossbow. I had never known of Mr Prugh, and was introduced to him when I arrived in Spearfish. We hit it off right away. They put us in a room with the Victory motorcycle and we discussed the possibility, and the basic design. We spent part of an afternoon together and came up with some interesting design possibility's. Michael went back to Rapid City and I stayed the week working on some engineering problems. I'm a Mechanical Engineer, and they had some issues with front ends shimming. I had developed a shimmy damper thirty five years ago when I manufactured motorcycle sidecars. I was sent back home to South Carolina and Michael worked on the designs. Three weeks later I was flown back to South Dakota for a viewing of Michael's designs. He did four different artist renderings. It was funny because only Michael and myself could see the differences in the designs. We had a meeting with all the directors of Lehman Trikes, including John Lehman the original owner of the company. The head at the, time Dan Paterson was the former head of the Kennedy Space Center back in the 90's. The head of sales was a former Blue Angels pilot.. So Michael and myself where surrounded by some high level people. They settled on a design and then I had to convince them to give me artistic license to make a few changes. I wanted the unit to be 56" wide and they where stuck on 53". In the end it was 53". My part of the project took twenty eight weeks, and then the two prototypes I sculptured where sent up to Lehman in South Dakota. It was an interesting project and I had fun doing it. It's funny but without the modeler/sculpture there never can be a finished product. The designer gets the credit for the drawings and the modeler is never mentioned. But almost fifty years ago I new what I was getting into if I followed my dream of a modeler/sculpture.
    I was told that Michael is working on a new custom trike design for Lehman. A great guy and one hell of a designer. He's still young and has his entire life ahead of him.
    If you want to see some of the pictures of how I did the sculpturing of the Crossbow check out my picture albums.
    Johnny Sweet

8. rick finch

rick finch

Bill Sterrett's 7-litre, Miss Crazy Thing....

[​IMG]

9. Vintageride

Vintageride

Trimph1, Offset, and Sinister.

It is indeed good to see these boats preserved.

I wonder where the original V16 Miller is from TempoVI. A work of art in itself.

Someone must be able to fill us in on the history here.

Vintageride

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Offset [​IMG]
    Sinister thanks for posting the pictures of the Hydros. What a thrill ride they would be.

And to the earlier posting of the newspaper clipping I think one of the Guy Lombardo race boats is still in a museum in London, Ontario, Canada.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    [​IMG]

10. carmanspd

carmanspd
    from Spokane

After reading this entire thread I still can't believe the amazing lengths we go to to go fast on water... One boat that is still etched on my mind is the Chris Craft Cobra I saw at the local wood boat show. 392 hemi and twin McChulloch superchargers! Simply stunning.

11. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Here's some pics of the only Porsche speedboat that I've ever seen .

Attached Files:

12. rick finch

rick finch

13. rick finch

rick finch

Ran when parked...if I'd known where that sumbitch was, I'd have snatched it up in a heartbeat.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  14. trimph1

trimph1

[​IMG] [​IMG]

That is surreal!!!

15. Ramblur

Ramblur

A few shots from the Roar-n-Soar (Land,Sea,Air) show in the last few years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course, "they're aircraft engines damnit". Lol
    [​IMG]

16. rick finch

rick finch

"Empty Pockets"....great name for a boat. (or a race car):D

17. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

I hope that this is not taking the thread off track but I just thought I would let you know that Canada Post just did a series of stamps commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the famed hydroplane "Miss Supertest 111" owned by James (Jim) Thompson and driven by Bob Hayward. You can view this set of stamps and information folder at www.canadapost.ca/shop.

Bob Hayward piloting "Miss Supertest 111" won the Harmsworth Trophy three consecutive years, I believe the first time the Trophy was won by anyone but an American entry. The package from Canada Post is worth a look even if you are not interested in purchasing them.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  18. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

forget to replace the drain plug before launching?:D

19. dryhoze1

dryhoze1
    from California

My 69 Sanger Flatbottom project.
    Ford FE 428 SCJ for power

Attached Files:

• 062.jpg
      062.jpg
      File size:
      485.8 KB
      Views:
    • 141.jpg
      141.jpg
      File size:
      405.8 KB
      Views:
    • 212.jpg
      212.jpg
      File size:
      510.4 KB
      Views:
  20. What a great picture of the Cobra.[​IMG]

21. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Real nice so far...who did the deck, that looks awesome!!

22. dryhoze1

dryhoze1
    from California

Harlan Orrin did the deck.
    Well known boat builder and pioneer on the west coast.

And thank you leadsled!

23. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Was that a wood deck Sanger to begin with?
    Harlan Orrin can be found on the Vintage Hydro site Screem & Fly and some V-Drive forums........................................

24. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Cool...I'm very familiar with his awesome work!:cool:

Make sure you keep the progress updated coming...please!

25. Makes me want the summer to be here NOW

26. gilles d

gilles d
    from winnipeg

1975 hondo v drive 427 chevy and current 70s rogers jet project

Attached Files:

27. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

220hp direct drive Hisso, marine version, in the garage. Prefer to find a WWI Aero engine and consider any WWI types. Feel free to PM me if you know whereabouts of any WWI aero engines, or parts.

Attached Files:

• hs1.jpg
      hs1.jpg
      File size:
      51.5 KB
      Views:
    • hs3.jpg
      hs3.jpg
      File size:
      38.9 KB
      Views:
  28. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

So you want to be a hydroplane driver?
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/SjlChRjQNsI

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SjlChRjQNsI?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

29. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

Exellent,thank you for posting

30. rick finch

rick finch

The Hornet II, Lake Tahoe...

[​IMG]