Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Snap-On tools Value?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by selohssa, May 17, 2010.

1. selohssa

selohssa

I posted this on The Garage Journal as well but mabey someone here can give me an educated value to offer. These tools belonged to the owners father. He lived in Fresno at the time and moved up to Canada in the 80's when he retired. The owner wants to sell them but does not NEED to sell them. I am trying to find a fair value that both me and her can be happy with.

follow the link to the pics.

http://picasaweb.google.ca/106930812...Pf9JnRo9OwuAE#

Thanks a lot.

2. I think you need to do some home work to see if their is anything of higher value and some dates to go with it. Looks like a mixed bag of tools from the pictures . their are some Snap-On only tool collectors out there that you may want to search out / I find this website very usefull and informative http://home.comcast.net/~alloy-artifacts/index.html

JFK likes this.
  3. selohssa

selohssa

The tools are mostly 30's through 50's. All are marked/engraved and most are well used. I have contacted a couple of collectors but I was hoping that there may be some people on here that could give my an idea as to what I should offer.

4. autobilly

autobilly

5. selohssa

selohssa

believe me, I have searched. There are no prices on Snap-On K60 or K200 boxes. Does anyone on here own one or know what they have been selling for? I can search E-bay for the common items but I don't have a clue on the odd balls.

6. loranzo46

loranzo46
    from pa

Most of them Snapon tools not all of them are from the millitary. I would say if you get all of it for a couple hundred bucks you would be good and so will they. Alot of them they dont even make so warranty is an issue between them not being made any more and the millitary had there own spec tools. Hope this helps you out some.

7. ModelEh1931

ModelEh1931

Some of the Snap On items you have are pretty old....the old logo is the give away....I've found that the guys who collect and are willing to pay for the vintage Snap On stuff want the sets in their original cases in good condition...or it has to be really old and rare like the really early stuff from the 1920's....I'm a Snap On tool junky myself...for the new stuff.....here are a few sites I've found in the past...may be of some help...

http://collectingsnapon.com/

http://home.comcast.net/~alloy-artifacts/so-early-sockets.html

8. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

I have a very old Snap On 1/2 drive socket & ratchet set that came in a gray metal box. this stuff is before they used chrome. My Snap On dealer said All their stuff is full warranty no matter when it was made. Any collectors that need this 1/2 set cheap ? send me a PM.
    Van

9. slowwrx

slowwrx
    from Atlanta

The vintage military issue snap-on stuff is worth a good bit in some cases. Some of its not so valuable.

10. the boxes don't look to beat-up....these alone are worth a good "couple hundred bucks".......:rolleyes:......:eek:i'ld buy them:D....some of the tools are item specific..and very sweet to the right buyer...i see some very old and nice metal tools there too....:D

11. Wildman1

Wildman1

NICE old boxes & tools.....

I would say at least $300 of worth in the boxes alone

I see some old 3/4" Snap-on stuff - good value there

I would say at least $200 worth of tools (conservatively)

Go from there

12. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

go over to Garagejournal...

PM snapmom... she knows her shit!

13. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

JUST looked at the pics... THAT box is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$..... TRUST ME go over to Garagejournal. its like the hamb but tools...

14. selohssa

selohssa

I have been talking to Snapmom. I value her opinion very highly. I wanted to get more opinions on this but I don't think that the deal will go through. The values that I have been quoted are much lower than what the owner thinks that they are worth. I don't mind paying a fair price for what I want but I am not going to overpay either.

15. Eight433

Eight433

in my experience, tools are seldom worth less than non "tool people" think they are, because they see cheap tools at big box stores like walmart and target and think all tools cost the same. I'd really try to make THEM throw the first number out and go from there.

16. selohssa

selohssa

I won't even tell you what # she said. I don't want to take advantage of her but I don't want to get bent over either.

17. Eight433

Eight433

Well, my point was not to take advantage of her, but if her number was obviously low, then you can pay her whatever you feel comfortable with, knowing that you're getting a deal, and she'll be happy as a pig in you-know-what that she got more than her asking price. Everybody wins! :cool:

18. howco

howco

Put them on E Bay and see what happens, remember you set the base price, you might be suprised.....

19. selohssa

selohssa

I want to be able to explain to her in and educated manner, what these tools are worth. I know what you meant by your first post and I fully agree. She thinks that these are worth a fortune and I don't want to be too blunt with her.

From what I am getting from this site and the garage journal is that a fair price to offer is somewhere in the $1000-$2000 range for everything. Do you guys agree or think that I am way low/high?

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The condition of the stuff I'd be leaning more towards the low end of your estimate, and would actually go $500 to about $1200 for the stuff. Though I have gotten rid of most of my older boxes they seem to bring more separate than as a package.

21. alsancle

alsancle

That box is very cool.

If all those tools are labeled snap on then I think you guys are underestimating the values. I guess there is a difference between well used and still usable (and if it's not you can turn it in for new). If all that stuff is snap-on and is still usable I would say at least 1k minimum and that would be a bargain but you would also be able to sleep at night.

Anyone priced a new set of Snap On wrenches lately - here is just one example of a 15 piece set for 500 bucks.

22. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

What does she look like

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Unless you are collecting them, and that includes Snap-On, Mac, Cornwell, Matco, etc., used tools are cheap right now...

24. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

That collectingsnapon.com site is cool. Just found my "hammerhead" vintage wrench listed there. Now I know what I have!

25. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

snapon5.jpg snapon3.jpg snapon1.jpg snapon2.jpg Any ideas on these? most are Snap On & the rest are S-K..

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

torque wrenches.jpg
    I just went looking for my torque wrenchs, the only place they show up on that site is in the early sixties catalogs, was hoping to get some idea what they were worth:rolleyes: Not that I would ever sell them...

27. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

I found my tool box on there! awesome... Its a KR-437... I bought it for $100 a few years ago and now use it to keep all my fab tools in... lol

28. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

29. snap-on warranty any of there tools even if discontinued which other brands don't, i've been buying snap-on since 66 and tools are expensive, but you have a lot of fisher price tools in there.i wouldn't say what there worth because to replace them to-day would be in the $10,000 range

30. lot of it's all jumbled up. I see wrenches all over sockets too. I don't know if there are any comlete sets of wrenches or sockets or what ever. might be good for parting out to people who are looking to complete sets. That said there are some neat items there. Boxes are cool. couple grand max to me.
    -Pat